Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ah, but that's Daniel Radcliffe the actor, not Harry Potter! :) :)
Joking aside, how about a condom as a water holder.

Yep Condoms are pretty standard inclusion and useful.

Was thinking of any updated items / commercially available items that weren't easy to access / obtain or not even in existence back in the 80's.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Transdermal patches for a prescription level painkiller and stimulant.
Kevlar cordage, possibly as a replacement for the wire saw, snare wire & fishing line.
Signalling laser

PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) these have come down in size quite a lot, but at present would still fill half the tin. If the Starlink network gets completed then maybe, just maybe that will come down to matchbox size.

Standalone smartwatch or miniature cell-phone with GPS, better than a compass as it could contain map data as well. Along with other useful media guides such as a first aid primer, knots, plant recognition etc Nearly all feature an FM radio receiver so that's weather reports and a morale booster.
FYI Smallest phone with display screen + GPS I could find was the MTK6739 10x4.5x0.88 cm (3.5 inch) The downside of course is you would have to keep the survival kit charged, or the tin would need solar cells on the lid as well.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I forget the name of it but there was a very very useful flat stick on Emergency Strobe light that was literally wafer thin in a range of colours including I.R for search and rescue aircraft.

I'd deem that a useful inclusion for SAR purposes.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yep Kevlar Cordage, Lock picks, Handcuff key, a small bag of Magnesium Shaving's / Powder.
Just for starter's

Kevlar Cordage and Magnesium shavings I can see the point of. .

Personally ( even although I practice lock picking for fun and landlord duties ) I couldn't see the point for Lock picks / Hand cuff keys but then again I'm not a PTC trooper.

I'd Like to hear your other suggestions however Forest Fella as I feel you may excel with being in touch of recent upgraded items.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The Guys at Oscar Delta have lots of interesting Military Hostage escape type items if thats your Bag.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
For me, mine is as follows,
Esee candiru or sak farmer
2 x 3mm kevlar cord 2.5m with a a sown loop one end
Needle and thread, particularly clear polyester thread
Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper Tweezers
Two small fire steels
2 small vials of tree oil and tcp (about 1ml each)
3 Water purification tablets
3 codeine pills
Small packet of arrow root
2 coffee Filters papers
30cm x 30cm of heavy weight tin foil
1 Tampon
1 condom
3 round cotton pads
1m of 1mm stainless wire and small washer

I have used this kit for an 24 hour, just the clothes on your back and nothing else stay in a woodland, and was more than enough for over night.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I forget the name of it but there was a very very useful flat stick on Emergency Strobe light that was literally wafer thin in a range of colours including I.R for search and rescue aircraft.

I'd deem that a useful inclusion for SAR purposes.

Brite Strike APALS

Reactions: Nice65 and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE