Survival Straw?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Simple one here, What water purification straw do you use/reccomend?

Ive seen and read a bout a few like the survivapure and the BCB but wondered how well they actually perform.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
I have always had reservations about such things. The issue for me is the chemical treatment aspects. Any chemical treatment (iodine, chlorine,etc) has a contact time in order of it to work effectively against the bacteri, virus etc. If the water is going straight from the straw into your mouth and then stomach then surely the contact period is happening in your gut.

Personally I prefer to use a pump with a chemical attack into a container, and then wait for the contact time to lapse before drinking. I use the Pre-mac SWP or MWP. We had a look at the survival straw when I was at the UK SERE (survival, evasion, resistance, extraction) centre and I seem to remember them being refused for A/C survival equipment by the Centre of Aviation Medicine (CAM)

They are probably a very good bit of kit, just not for me.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I have always had reservations about such things. The issue for me is the chemical treatment aspects. Any chemical treatment (iodine, chlorine,etc) has a contact time in order of it to work effectively against the bacteri, virus etc. If the water is going straight from the straw into your mouth and then stomach then surely the contact period is happening in your gut.

Personally I prefer to use a pump with a chemical attack into a container, and then wait for the contact time to lapse before drinking. I use the Pre-mac SWP or MWP. We had a look at the survival straw when I was at the UK SERE (survival, evasion, resistance, extraction) centre and I seem to remember them being refused for A/C survival equipment by the Centre of Aviation Medicine (CAM)

They are probably a very good bit of kit, just not for me.

I totally agree with you about the contact time mate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There *has* to be a simpler way.
A wee electric charge through the water or something like that that'll kill buggits. The ioniser is supposed to do it, and UV light is used in many swimming pools where chlorine isn't appropriate; pity sunshine is kind of intermittant in the UK :rolleyes:
In the past folks just used a very low alcohol content, the small beer and the like, or boiled it up to make tea :D

I've used the pot.perm. stuff, but it's a bit of a kerfuffle, and the taste, well, let's just say it's an experience and it's wet :yuck: same with the puritabs.

M

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i would go with a pump, for the small amount of space you give up its well worth it, its still quite small anyway...........they work well and i have used my one quite alot and over all am happy with the results, only thing is the taste of iodine......

just filter and boil now, and try not to think about chemicals and heavy metals....lol :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D We have a phrase, "Draws y'r jaws." Basically it means that something makes your face implode because it's so sour. Screech is kind of like that for me :shudder: Ribena's quite good with it though :D

I'm with Chris, filter and boil and hope for the rest usually....except near farms and towns though. Usually a tap nearby there and I can happily miss the effluent :cool:

cheers,
M

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
the smaller non refillable premac is only about the size of one of the larger survival straws (just fatter and shorter with a bit of flexible tube attached.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the info guys but Im still looking for a decent straw to throw into my belt kit or into my backpack when I go extreme minimal in the summer.

If you really mean extreme minimal, just take the puritabs. Weigh nothing, kills the buggits. Strain water first through one of the small light micro fibre cloths and the job's done.
I cut one of the cloths to make an overlapping circle for my Ti mug and it fastens on with an elastic band. I marked the cloth so I always know which side is 'clean' and which is 'dirty' and just always use it that way. Drop in the tablets and leave it for a little while to sort itself out.
Seems to work fine, and has the benefit of being foolproof, cheap as chips, and easily replaceable.

cheers,
Toddy

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I agree that a simple filter to take out the big stuff, which can harbour nasties, and then use chemicals is the way to go if boiling is impractical. Hardly any weight and perfectly good unless used very long term. The taste can be improved afterwards, but remember to do this in your mug and not in your bottle. You don't want anything in your bottle which will inhibit the action of the biocide in whatever chemical you use. Acorbic acid (that's vitamin C to you and me) is the basis of most neutralising agents so think about what flavourings you might put into your water bottle which include vitamin C and will stop your purification working.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE