Survival School on Countryfile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Did anyone else see this? Pretty short basic piece on Jonny Crockett's Survival School in Devon - showed the presenter lighting fire with flint and steel, and a little bit of foraging, crabapples and fern tea.

Not very detailed but a nice little ad for Jonny....

Out of interest, has anyone here been on a course with Survival School?

leon-1

Wayne said:
i have not done a bushcraft course with Jonny but i have done tracking with him and Max.

Each time I have yet Jonny he has been great. I would recommend his courses.

Yep same as Wayne, in fact a couple of the tracking courses (one of which Wayne for his sins got paired with me).

Jonny is a friendly guy as are his team and things always seem well thought out:)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I haven't done any of their bushcraft courses, but i've recently got back from Canada with Jonny and Max (seems to be a bit of a theme here with the posts). He's a great chap who clearly knows his bushcraft skills and he has an excellent teaching style - he's very encouraging, especially when you are getting frustrated picking up new techniques and he obviously cares about passing on his skills.
He also has alot of amusing anecdotes for round the camp fire (Although not as good as mine ;) )
He kind of invents constellations though....(well sort of)

CamperPete

Oct 2, 2006
Blackpool, Lancs
Out of interest said:
I went on a Bushcraft Survival Course over a weekend 2 weeks ago. Although I love everything about the outdoors (camping, walking, hiking etc etc) I hadn't ventured much into this terrain and now I'm completey hooked....hence I'm on here :You_Rock_

It was a pilot course at one of the, near, local rural agricultural colleges and it was better than anything I'd expected. We had to sign a disclaimer that the college couldn't be held responsible for our actions after the course as the trapping techniques etc are all now illegal :rolleyes:

First day was instruction in fire lighting techniques, Obtaining Water, catching/trapping food and building shelters. Second day was actual hands on doing it all........although the traps we built we had to take apart once tested :(

The tutor was ex-paratrooper and SAS. He used to teach survival techniques to the Infrantry and then the TA's (when he'd left the forces). It wasn't just the course synopsis that was well set out but it was the little extra's you learnt from the guy by just talking about his experiences that made this course so memorable.

Even if you think you know or think you have done it all they're still worth going on for the extra knowledge from individuals experiences (and comradary) on the course and the tutors themselves. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE