Survival Scarf / Shemagh Combo.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I'm quite a fan of my Shemagh , not in a pretending I'm a sneaky-beaky PMC desert ninja :) , but more in a tie around my neck like one of Baden's Scouts , its a useful bit of kit to carry for a small multitude of use and adds quite a level of warmth and insulation if correctly wrapped around the neck.

So for some time I've been wondering if I could create a more enhanced version? something with even more uses and specifically made to be a multi use item for woodland trips and 'travelling light' type survival exercises.

Now I've just watched this vid on the Survival Scarf as defined by Mr K.

[video=youtube;b2P1iGc8CVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2P1iGc8CVw[/video]

So , an open design question to try and incorporate the two ( Scarf and Shemagh ), what features would you try and include? material? design? anything else??

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny you should bring this up - Bilmo of this parish is working on a UV protecting large scarf for me :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Interesting video. I also love my shemaghs, woven or printed. I can see me adding a loop/tag to each corner like Mors though, or perhaps sew/velcro/attach a similar size piece of netting to one to make a bag? And I like the idea of twisting them for carry. As for adding anything, not sure I can. As he said, you'll probably end up with 2 or more different ones! Thanks for posting the link.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Scarf
filled it with grass (collecting)
towel for hands

Same as you would use a scrim scarf or a Shemagh for really.

Never used it for sleeping in or as a blanket yet but it is possible

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Scarf
filled it with grass (collecting)
towel for hands

Same as you would use a scrim scarf or a Shemagh for really.

Never used it for sleeping in or as a blanket yet but it is possible

Just revisiting this as I came across some lovely parachute material - what sort of Dimensions did you make yours too? just a standard tub design?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm.. I have just had to replace my parachute in the camp because my old one was left up during the gales and biblical rain we had last month :(

I've not untangled the old one yet but there should be a few intact panels :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Mmm.. I have just had to replace my parachute in the camp because my old one was left up during the gales and biblical rain we had last month :(

I've not untangled the old one yet but there should be a few intact panels :)

I'm thinking of one smaller than Green crafts but larger than this one .
I think its critical to be able to wriggle down into it like a sleeping bag or mattress so it needs to be the length of a person and just wide enough to get in aka shoulder width.

I quite like the two skin idea as it will trap air and a contrasting colour makes a great marker/self rescue panel.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I think the large square thin design of a shemagh is more useful than the the long narrow thick material of a typical scarf. It’s just more versatile.

If I don’t have one in my kit it’s a large hankie or bandanna minimum.

Re-imagined shemagh I might go for one without the tassels snag in stuff. Thin highly breathable fabric but double sided. One higher visibility, one drab? Perhaps printed aid memoir, probably a way to customise that these days. I believe the Argentine scarves had first aid instructions on them during the Falklands conflict.

Reactions: TeeDee

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Personally i find the shemaghs a little too bulky when used as a scarf and a little too small when used as a head covering.
I prefer a cheche. Made of thin cotton, 5 or 6 feet long and about 2 feet wide or so.
It's long enough to wrap round the head and tuck in with some spare to use as a face covering for those desert trips.
thin enough to not get uncomfortable when wearing as a scarf too.

There is a rumour the French Forgein Legion chaps used to wash their face with one end, their bum with the other end and clean the gun with the middle section - just don't get the ends mixed up!
Not convinced on this myself...

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I've got a few Kufiya from https://www.kufiya.org/ they are by far the best ones around, they're nice and robust, so far I've put some guy lines on each corner to create a sunshade, used it as a blanket in winter, and at one point as an emergency nappy for the baby.

Given the vast range of colours you could have them match pretty much any occasion, we always keep one in the baby's bag which if memory serves is the Bethlehem pattern, buts it's quite jolly compared to the more subdued ones I take out and about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE