Survival/Outdoors Schools John Wiseman and Eddie McGee?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi!
Has anyone here ever attended any classes at John "Lofty" Wiseman's school or at Eddie McGee's survival skills school? I have read that both of these UK instructors had/used to have an outdoors skills school but have not heard of anyone commenting on their experiences. Any info or ideas for info on this?
Thanks!
Monk

N

Natural Pathways

Hi Monk.

Just read your post, to the best of my knowledge I heard that John has now retired and I am sad to say that Eddie is longer with us, I believe he passed away the year before last.

Sorry to bring you such sad news.

regards

Geoffrey

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
That is a great shame - two well respected instructors who loved the subject.

Eddie McGee was a great inspiration to me, especially when I was a sprog. Says a lot about a man that he could touch so many people and yet not get to above himself. Many of us today could learn a lot from his example.

I hope he finds himself a good spot in that great big forest in the sky.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'm saddened to hear that Eddie is no longer with us. I agree Gary ... both he and John had a huge influence on me as a youngster. Good, solid personalities that kept it real.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
i did a two day intro survival course with eddie and got a couple of his books signed he was a really nice guy and tremendously knowledgeable coming out with snippets about tracking whilst showing us where to set snares and how to build your own ect
it was a cracking week end my only regret is that i didnt get around to do more training with him.

shropshireman

Nov 3, 2007
shropshire
Yeah lofty finished with truways survival this year i think.I did half a dozen courses with truways but now there founder chris caine has departed???. Lofty trained with chris's dad and also showed chris many many survival techniques if you go to( chris caine survival) on the tinternet you will get more info... ps dont beleive all the things you here about tru ways

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've heard good things about truways, I was doing a job earlier on this year and a locksmith from Manchester way (I think) had just done a course with them along with his brother. I thought he may have just got out of the Mob as he was wearing Snugpak gear and all that and he said "no, never been in but I'm into survival and bushcraft" and that was us set for the rest of the day! He'd done quite a few courses with them, so they must be good. I've heard the DVD isn't all its cracked up to be though, considering the time we all waited for it from first being mentioned to final release.

shropshireman

Nov 3, 2007
shropshire
yeah i must admit the courses i went on were ok learnt a fair bit .A mate of mine went on a course for a weekend with his son paid £600 !!!!!!!!!!!!! Says he learnt more from reading ray mears books than he did at tru ways!!! To say the least he was pretty p#####d off about it, though he did get a certificate off them.They spelt his name wrong and got the date wrong...
Its the same old thing though do 10 great things and no one hears about it but do 1 wrong thing and everyone hears about it ....
To be honest i was just trying to do a bit of promotion work for chris caine and his new web site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Everyone is allowed to mention a place, make reference to it etc, it's when people take the mick that we take exception.

I hope that Chris does well in his new venture, there's been a few bushcraft schools that have split or gone altogether lately so it's good that he's carrying on.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
So you say Tony, but a link to a new knife forum was removed for no reason that I can see other than a grudge held against the owner. It's your forum though, and you can run it as you please.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I had training with both "Lofty" and Eddie McGee when serving and they were both good, though I think "Lofty" had the edge!
Mike

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Hope Trueways is decent. I'm booked on my first ever course (5 day) that starts next Monday. TBH I'm less concerned about the cost than the days off work it will take up.

Still, I'm hoping to go on that Hunter Gatherer Course next year that was up for the competition or the Aboriginal one they do next year.

Has out of interest any non biased board member tried the Trueways Advanced 7 Day course. I'm intrigued (assuming the 5 day one is okay) but can't for the life of me find any reviews of the 7day course despite my googlefu efforts.

Living in Scotland it's not so much the cost of a lot of the courses but the time of getting to some of them that's the issue.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
if you've allready got survival knowledge then most courses will fail to impress if you arent looking properly as you fail to see the intent behind the course which is to try and give you something to copy from. it should be a kind of role play event like a school fire drill not a bushcraft jolly type of trip where you carve a spoon and make some cordage.

lofty and trueways are still together and chris's split was down to a misunderstanding.he started back up thanks in part to trueways members but I'm not sure why his forum has disappeared in the past few days. the last of keyword association messed up the casual visitor though. if you think 600 was expensive for 2 people for a weekend then book a woodlore course, they have the premium on rip off.

the 5 day and 7 day courses rely on you putting into practise what you have learnt with a bit of steerage from the instructors along the way. I think they all choose scotland for the 7 dayers out of tradition more than anything else and the fact that you are unlikely to meet anyone else. the instructors with the exception of chris are generally military in origin so are used to proper planning and sticking to a timetable so as long as you can keep up then you'll be fine.

the kit lists seem to be as big and the same for whichever you choose now though - health and safety I guess. I had to put up with the contents of my pockets and wearing two sets of clothes first time I did a course 26 years ago.

shropshireman

Nov 3, 2007
shropshire
crazy dave ...
sorry mate but chris was round at my house 2 weeks ago got a different story but i dont want to get invovled its all a bit to heavy!!
Do you think that tv and internet is to open .... ie it lets people look and sound good but in real terms there a bit crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To put it bluntly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE