Survival knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Well, I've never actually handled one, but...

No real tang, as the handle's hollow - so it's weak.

Saw looks next to useless, but would be good for tearing up your hands - not versatile enough.

Blade's too long - not enough control.

And I don't particularly like the hollow ground, double bevel thing.

The latter two points are really just personal opinion. Some people are happy with long blades for general "Camp Chores" (though I can't fathom why...), some people aren't.

If I had to be stuck with either of the knives there, I'd rather it be the little one.

If you're thinking of getting something like that, you'd probably be better off with a decent knife and possibles pouch ;)

fraz79

Sep 14, 2006
Sheffield, UK
Totally agree with all Draven's points.

I actually bought one very similar to this a couple of years ago when I was a little 'greener' than I am now! Next to useless! With no tang the blade feels like it could snap off (or fall out!) with any sort of hard usage! I put it straight into a box of car-boot-sale fodder.

Don't bother: you'll regret it!

you'd probably be better off with a decent knife and possibles pouch
...spot on!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I look at something like this with great suspicion. I would like a big knife if it was all about survival - the Lofty Wiseman machete would be a reassonable choice. Bushcraft on the other hand is often about craft - using a mix of tools to get the end result. I have several knives none of which are longer than 4 inches in the blade which all get used in rotation. They are all either full tang or part tang with a moulded handle.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For that money, you could get a Frosts Mora (£8) a leather sheath from Singteck (£11) and have £25 for a really good leather belt pouch).

So as these gentlemen have said, save your money. Buy a preoper useable knife, a good sheath and, actually, a good fireball flint (£5), a pill pot ful of vaseline and cotton wool (£1) a decent compass (£10) and a few pints!

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'm kind of limited in using it at the moment as I have to take the bus to get to the woods! It was actually smaller than I feared it would be :) it is a nice handy size and comfortable to use. I've managed to make a few fuzz sticks and have a chop at some other sticks with it and it works well. I'm not sure about the sharpened back edge as
specwhite.jpg

it is supposedly for chopping but I don't feel changing the grip around is particularly comfotable and this sharp back edge would make me less keen on using it as a draw knife which is one of the reasons for taking a bigger blade.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Draven is right, check out the british blades there are linkes from this site. It dependes what you want it for but in my opinion that knife would in the end turn out to be disapointing. If you are starting out you cant go wrong with a mora,the carbon blades are top notch forget the price. If you need more cutting power get an axe or a saw, both of which can be cheep.

Mark

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
Thanks for the advice guys :You_Rock_ I've got a frosts clipper and a laplander at the moment which should do most things for me. Since being on this forum though I've started to develop an obsession for shiney pointy things! :lmao:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
No mate - I had one a few years ago - Total Crap - and very expensive crap at that.
If you are in the market for that type of tool look up the ray mears Dartmoor knife - I dont say its great but its the best of breed IMHO

P1010007-1.jpg

Cheers
Nick

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I bought a similar "Rambo" knife (a cheap copy of a M9), just for fun and made a review on a swedish equipment forum.
http://www.utrustning.se/viewtopic.php?t=7748
In short: if you need to cut anyhing else than brown plastic tape or open sausage bun bags, get something else.

As said before, either you buy a used bushcraft type of knife from the bushcraft community (those knives have lots of use-hours left) or get something like a Ray Mears clone or Fallkniven F1 or such. Go to an outdoor store and feel some knives and get what you like... but dont buy a "knife" that contains more than TWO parts (knife and sheath) :)
Those "Survival Knives" has never been good.
That 32 part survival system has a knife that is no better than a plain red plastic handle mora.
I could break a "Survival Knife" in about FOUR minutes. First I pound it into a tree, then the compass and handle is toast. Finally I pull the handle and the screw holding the handle snaps.
Get a "plain" and normal knife and something something like a "gizmo wallet" (Ritr 5" notebook cover) to keep in your pocket with all the useful stuff.

Good luck with the bushcrafting.

Yes, there is one occasion where a 32 piece survival system will be good. When you take a survival training class and want to be the class Rambo clown :) Just remember to bring your REAL stuff as well.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nicklas Odh said:
That 32 part survival system has a knife that is no better than a plain red plastic handle mora.
Ahem, it's nowhere near as good as the Mora :D

I could break a "Survival Knife" in about FOUR minutes. First I pound it into a tree, then the compass and handle is toast. Finally I pull the handle and the screw holding the handle snaps.
Or just baton with it :D :rolleyes:

I do agree 100% with "dont buy a "knife" that contains more than TWO parts" though :D

Stutoffee

Jan 23, 2006
Manchester
It looks like a cheap copy of the Aitor Jungle King 1 knife.
For hollow-handle knives, the original ones were okay, but the slingshot was crap (the rubber tube would be better used in a spring trap or fishing spear) & the small utility knife/harpoon was quite good.
I actually bought a cpl of the utility knives on their own without the "rambo" knife.

Anyone remember a similar model knife that had a mini-crossbow on it?
And the one that had a sortof fishing rod arrangement on it!?

Now, they WERE Total crap!

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
My survival knife would never be a hollow handled one just to week in the long run. My knife just cuts...now my compass it shows north...

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
Like I wrote in my review of the "Lifesaving Knife": the compass if off about 35 degrees east, but it doesnt matter since you dont walk in a straight line through a forest anyway.

If you were to ask persons who really used their knife as a survival knife (for real that is) which knife they used you would probably get anything from a half blunt Mora type knife and really old same knives to pilot survival knives issued with the flight suit or other good knives, but I doubt that anyone really survived with a 32 piece, 1,6 kilo, 10" blade Rambo knife with extra this and that.

Like someone wrote somewhere, during the civil war in US, the soldiers got huge knives to look cool and impress the enemy, but after dragging it around for some miles they tossed it in a ditch and kept their small folder.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
There's still something compelling about a hollow handle. That's why I've a couple of Chris Reeves - about as strong as you can get. I'm happy to put up with the round checkered handle.

The good hollow handled production knives are pretty strong but as mentioned above the copies are very iffy. Don't be ashamed of a bit of diversity - I know it's 'ideal' and cheap but everyone using Moras and Bahco saws is really dull!

Mark

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
nickg said:
No mate - I had one a few years ago - Total Crap - and very expensive crap at that.
If you are in the market for that type of tool look up the ray mears Dartmoor knife - I dont say its great but its the best of breed IMHO

P1010007-1.jpg

Cheers
Nick

I know someone who will completely disagree with you, the Dartmoor is an overly expensive bit of kit that is quite frankly over the top! A total waste of money in my opinion!
As for the original knife in this thread I had one as a school kid many moons ago and it snapped on me almost doing me a mischief, stay well away from these rambo type knives if you want to keep yourself in one piece they are dangerous gimics!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Two good points - firstly everyone using scandi grind Woodlore clones and Moras isn't necessarily the most exciting thing and secondly, just because a knife is big and has survival in the name doesn't mean it is bad.
Sure, the Tom Brown Tracker looks like it is from an Orc, the Wilkninson Sword knife has a strange reputation and the Lofty Wiseman is probably the thickest and most expensive machete you'll ever come across. They were all designed as an attempt at a jack of all trades blade though (even though trying to sell a few more has sometimes led to design changes for the Rambo market). If you want a single tool to do it all these are worthy of consideration (as would be a mini axe)
Does this make sense :confused:

JoeSmo

Jul 20, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
I have passed up every chance to get one of these survival knives. I do have a large(18 inches) bowie but i have never brought it camping and it just looks nice on my wall. It was only $12 at a reenactment so it was not a loss. I agree with the others, get a good knife and carry a pouch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE