Survival is all about a good cup of tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
A fascinating read, Stuart, well done.

Now...moving along, I seem to remember you saying you were going to give us an account of what you have been up too over the preceding few weeks...Any chance??? :D ...It sounded "dead cool" :cool:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
stovie said:
A fascinating read, Stuart, well done.

Now...moving along, I seem to remember you saying you were going to give us an account of what you have been up too over the preceding few weeks...Any chance??? :D ...It sounded "dead cool" :cool:

I am seriously busy at the moment, I will write one up a brief account as soon as I have some time.

for now here is a quick preview:

my last meal in the jungle before catching a twin otter aircraft out, Python and sago mixed with snake fat.

this generous farewell spread was laid out by the Penan of Long Kepang (just south of Long lellang)

Last edited:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Okay Stuart. I've got to ask. What do you do? Medicin sans frontier or such like?

Or anthropological studies??

I am fascinated...intrigued...

When you get time I really will be interested...

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
OK, I'll admit it. When I first saw the title of this topic I said to myself, "Crazy Brits! There's no way I'm going to read this. These people are obsessed about the strangest things." :D Then the topic stayed around for a while and the number of posts kept climbing. I said to myself, "Hold on. This may be one of those topics that morphs into something interesting." Then I read the post by Stuart and was struck by the complete sense it made on several levels. Take equipment, use the equipment on a regular basis, have a normal reason to have the equipment for our more cynical associates, have the equipment always available for a more serious situation, and get a cup of tea to boot! ;) Not bad, even for a Brit! :yelrotflm Thanks, Stuart.
Steve

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
an excellent post/thread that highlights the difference betweeen realworld and fantasy survival. i have to agree, the ability to make a hot drink is vital. both psychologically and physically.

the simple routine is very soothing, i also recommend that smokers have an emergency stash of cigarettes or tobacco for exactly the same reason, plus the fire lighting kit benefit.

my utility/logistic pouches, (that's what they've been called since before i ever heard the term "possibles pouch") contain firelighting and brew kit in one, and firstaid with a few fantasy survival bits in the other.

pride isn't only limited to males though. i was on a bleak welsh mountain top once, there was a woman who had been convinced that her new fleece was waterproof by a sales idiot in some high st shop. so she hadn't bothered to bring a real waterproof. she was completely soaked, shivering and going blue. she insisted on refusing a hot drink of tea coffee chocolate or soup. i offered her a capuccino which she sarcastically accepted, so the sachets of nescafe capuccino were produced as if by magic from the possibles pouch! once the hot drink was in her hand she became much more reasonable, and we all got off the hill in one piece.

ust one incident that sticks in my mind.

cheers, and.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Stuart good point.
Always I carry in my FAK:
Hex tablets
Foldable sheet stove for hex tablets
tea
Chocolate bar

This is made with the idea to have some instant calories (chololate bar) and some hot beverage.....

I use the tin as cup to boil water.

:You_Rock_

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
stuart

good post

Brunei is a beautiful place, and the Iban's are very friendly and welcoming

Selamet Lemai!

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
Why isn't this a sticky?

This should be the first thing anyone reads when they come here.

I always take a thermos with tea with me. But that does not make you stop.
I'll change to water and teabags and an esbit.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
great post and very valid. similar to the discussions on why do soldiers shave during a major battle or why did the english always stop for tea at 4pm - answer restoration of normality and the feeling of belonging.

soldiers and scouts alike we teach to get the kettle on while you sort the site out and survival after all is camping with no kit :)

I generally carry a few packs of rat pack instant tea and sugar wrapped in cling film tucked away in every spare nook and cranny - amazing how good it makes you feel.

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
Having read what is a superbly sensible article, it has got me thinking. What is a cheap brew kit that could be made up for scouts, cadets or suchlike. My personal kit is a crusader cup, cooker, etc - but at £25-£30 by the time you include a pouch its getting a little pricey to sort them out for a troop of 40!

So my challenge is this - what is the cheapest way to put together a brew kit for use in the UK.

Many thanks for your help

Rich

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
richardnhunt said:
Having read what is a superbly sensible article, it has got me thinking. What is a cheap brew kit that could be made up for scouts, cadets or suchlike. My personal kit is a crusader cup, cooker, etc - but at £25-£30 by the time you include a pouch its getting a little pricey to sort them out for a troop of 40!

So my challenge is this - what is the cheapest way to put together a brew kit for use in the UK.

Rich
I'd say if you want to buy them rather than make them, then about £4.95 per person, that's stove, 18oz water flask, and cup. It's a multifuel stove, either a small wood fire, hexi blocks, or a home made super cat meths burner
I have one and it's ok for making tea/coffee. here
I have nothing to do with this shop and I am only using it as an example i got my stove from here.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
ssj said:
OK, I'll admit it. When I first saw the title of this topic I said to myself, "Crazy Brits! There's no way I'm going to read this. These people are obsessed about the strangest things." :D Then the topic stayed around for a while and the number of posts kept climbing. I said to myself, "Hold on. This may be one of those topics that morphs into something interesting." Then I read the post by Stuart and was struck by the complete sense it made on several levels. Take equipment, use the equipment on a regular basis, have a normal reason to have the equipment for our more cynical associates, have the equipment always available for a more serious situation, and get a cup of tea to boot! ;) Not bad, even for a Brit! :yelrotflm Thanks, Stuart.
Steve

Ditto. Great post !

Except in my case you'd have to change "tea" to "coffee." Tea turns my stomach. Never could understand the fascination some nationalities have with it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good call Tadpole! I've seen army Trangias going lately too for £5 which might be a bit cheaper to run than hexi plus easier than making 40 super cats (Genuine Army Surplus IIRC). Bulkier though if a bit more flexible. Cheapest has to be a tinfoil food container and three stones but thats probably unhelpful ;)

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like my little Swiss army brew up set. It's light, adaptable and, with care until you get the hang of it, easily used. Besides, the bits alone are worth the fiver :rolleyes:
I like real tea though, that's loose stuff, or whatever I come across when I'm out, the tea strainers (tea infuser) from these folks are excellent, even for ground coffee :D and it strains rice, pasta and noodles too, just don't swamp it 'cos it's only mug sized.
http://www.nbtea.co.uk/acatalog/tea_accesories.html

Cheers,
Toddy

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
richardnhunt said:

Rich

the crusader kit is expensive but you can make a set up using the dutch or german versions of the american cup - around 3-4 quid from the local surplus shop - get the bottle as well. a simpler fire pit dug under the cip and drop a hexiblock in there or make a tiny trench fire.

for the scouts I'd get them all making pepsi can stoves then a tent peg or coat hanger pot stand with tin foil wind break. it'll keep then busy for a few weeks

alternatives are the standard mess tin or trangia mini mess tin as it has a lid with said stove - you can even make the stoves out of red bull cans with some care.

oh and its best to use one pop and one beer can in construction as they fit together better - good excuse for drinking 40 cans of stella or strongbow anyway :D

cheapest might be the mess tin approach then get them all folda cups as they're cheaper in bulk - I got 30 for 1.25 each a few years back whent he local shop was charging 4.50.

thinking further with my ex scoutleader head on - I used to get the kids to make up packs based on takaway type foil trays with a couple of fuel blocks, hot chocolate and snack size mars bars as an emergency reserve which they could break open after an expedition or grueling hike. I also taught the kids how to make scout cups out of tin foil to put in their baccy tins.

sugar and milk they can snaffle from supermarket cafe's or mcdonalds :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
richardnhunt said:
Tadpole - great spot. Many thanks. I feel a purchase coming on. Just need to find a cheap pouch for it now......

Red-

Hadn't thought of this, but quite like the idea of giving it a go. How thick a tinfoil container would be needed? Would a bog standard Tescos job work. Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

Rich
Richard...err don't know what Tescos ones are like - standard "takeaway" containers work great though - also keep the foil lined lid as they boil quicker with a lid on. I generally throw in Esbit blocks as they are sealed up and hexy stinks. Can cost as much as 50p :D. With a little practice, the brew kit, matches and fuel can be folded up into the foil container. Balance the foil on a tripod of stones et voila! Still working on a fold flat mug though - anyone help with that?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE