Survival... Indian time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Awhile ago, sitting in my truck on a cold winter evening listening to a radio program on CFNR called "Journeys", an indigenous-run show out of Terrace B.C., the guest talked about "Indian time". What Indian time was.
When salmon are running it is time to fish. If you don't you'll starve over the winter. When salal berries are ripe it's time to pick or they're gone for the season. A simple idea. Do or don't, live or die.

Frozen trees

Indian time is about survival. Indian time is about life whether it's about food, finances, relationships or keeping control of your car in a tight situation.

Kitchen Window frost

Understanding critical times. Times that can determine our survival.

Our son played tournament chess, at 13 he was challenging the best players in the country. The game is about critical thinking, recognizing critical times and situations. A tool for children to learn about consequences. Indian time.

I just fell hard, cracked ribs, that night the temperature went down to -45C. Pipes froze, nothing would start.. no ambulance service. We kept the fires burning. Indian time dictated that we hunker down, stay warm and didn't move.

Wilderness survival
It seems to us that everyone should pay heed to Indian time as time changes, populations increase and the planets resources are being depleted.

I know that Bushcraft forums tend to avoid discussions on survival, but personally I think there should be a survival section on all Bushcraft sites. Man made global warming is a scientific fact, & all of us are going to be affected by global warming climate change in one way or another, even if you have not been affected already.

It is important for us to face up to the facts of global warming climate change, droughts, floods, extreme heat, extreme cold, crop failures, domestic stock losses, food shortages, water contamination, bushfires, diseases, all this & more is either happening already, or is going to happen soon. Bushcrafters, preppers, survivalists, early period living historians, all stand a better chance of surviving teotwawki when it comes, but we have to be prepared!

Does anyone else on this forum agree with this?
Keith.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Do not take me wrong - but we have been doing that since the beginning of times?
Adopting to circumstances?
There is a whole lot of difference in adapting to a situation and preparing for the inevitable
Adapting means you have the time money etc to change something at your leasure.
Try adapting to a wildfire ripping through your locality or a flood wiping your home out. Food shortages. . How will you adapt to a nuclear winter?
Adapting is the last stage. Being prepared is the first. Try adapting to no food in the supermarket. Being prepared means you grow and preserve it yourself so when it's not on the shelf you won't starve. Which is exactly what the first post means. A time to pick berries is now so they will be stored for leaner times. It's now time to hunt or fish. When you are in tune with the earth it becomes a way of life and propper preparation at the right time means you don't have to adapt.
That is why we are all in this mess now. People forgot the old ways in pursuit of a life of lazy ease and comfort. Press a button and you can have anything you want and because it may cost a few quid you tell yourself you've worked for it so deserve it. One day money will be useless but a skillset where you can live without a button to press to feed or entertain yourself will be worth more than any wad of notes or a bar of gold.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To be frank, I do not think that will happen.
It is said the most plausible ‘world catastrophe ‘ is a pandemic of some sort. Virus, prion.
Historically the worst pandemics culled up to 40-50% of the population.
The result was an improvement in ( surviving) ordinary people’s lives.

Dont’ worry, be happy as the song goes!

Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM
To be frank, I do not think that will happen.
It is said the most plausible ‘world catastrophe ‘ is a pandemic of some sort. Virus, prion.
Historically the worst pandemics culled up to 40-50% of the population.
The result was an improvement in ( surviving) ordinary people’s lives.

You can never prepare for the worst.

the contact with europeans after 1492 wiped out a higher percentage of Native Americans and lead to the myth of the "unexplored amazon rain forest"...

Reactions: santaman2000
I know that Bushcraft forums tend to avoid discussions on survival, but personally I think there should be a survival section on all Bushcraft sites. Man made global warming is a scientific fact, & all of us are going to be affected by global warming climate change in one way or another, even if you have not been affected already.

It is important for us to face up to the facts of global warming climate change, droughts, floods, extreme heat, extreme cold, crop failures, domestic stock losses, food shortages, water contamination, bushfires, diseases, all this & more is either happening already, or is going to happen soon. Bushcrafters, preppers, survivalists, early period living historians, all stand a better chance of surviving teotwawki when it comes, but we have to be prepared!

Does anyone else on this forum agree with this?
Keith.[/Q

Completely.

Do not take me wrong - but we have been doing that since the beginning of times?
Adopting to circumstances?

No offense, but I think most have their heads in their butts at the moment.

There is a whole lot of difference in adapting to a situation and preparing for the inevitable
Adapting means you have the time money etc to change something at your leasure.
Try adapting to a wildfire ripping through your locality or a flood wiping your home out. Food shortages. . How will you adapt to a nuclear winter?
Adapting is the last stage. Being prepared is the first. Try adapting to no food in the supermarket. Being prepared means you grow and preserve it yourself so when it's not on the shelf you won't starve. Which is exactly what the first post means. A time to pick berries is now so they will be stored for leaner times. It's now time to hunt or fish. When you are in tune with the earth it becomes a way of life and propper preparation at the right time means you don't have to adapt.
That is why we are all in this mess now. People forgot the old ways in pursuit of a life of lazy ease and comfort. Press a button and you can have anything you want and because it may cost a few quid you tell yourself you've worked for it so deserve it. One day money will be useless but a skillset where you can live without a button to press to feed or entertain yourself will be worth more than any wad of notes or a bar of gold.
Well said Woody girl, full marks
Historical-clipped.jpg

Keith.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I would not call myself a prepper but some would. Having had a seriously knowledgeable "Gradfather" from the soux nation and listened to his predictions and followed his advice for more than 30 yrs. I have seen much of what he told me come to pass. I know what is comming and those who shrug their shoulders and don't learn even when all about them is falling to bits will not cope well in the future.
Not that I'm particularly religious in the Christian sense I will just say this. People scoffed at noah and said he was stupid or mad. He still built his ark. When the inevitable happened the people were begging to be saved... they were not as they had not listened and did not prepare. They had the information but chose to ignore it at their peril. Now whether this is a true story or a myth doesn't matter. The story is advice... a parable....whatever you want to call it.
If you listen to wisdom you will become wise. If you scoff at it and carry on ignoring it.... well need I say more... you know how it ended!
Grandfather was a wise man. He taught me how to listen to the earth, how to hear birds insects and animals and understand what they are telling me. Even the trees and grass water and rocks speak if you take the time to listen. It's not a thing you can learn over a weekend or even a month. It takes years sometimes.
Nature has been speaking to us all our lives but few listen, even fewer understand. Less still take the wisdom freely given to them.
They just take the trees grass water and rocks and destroy them.
The earth has had enough and is now beginning to spank bottoms.
Time to listen and start mending our ways, and yes I admit in the past I've been ignorant and ignored the message even while waving a save the earth banner.
Now I understand. As I grow to be a white hair. I understand.
But as noah said... it's never too late... untill it's too late to build an ark!

Reactions: Le Loup

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How are your ribs, 'cariboo?' That's dark news.
I have 2 torn up ribs on the right side, they make a clicking sound (that I hear) when I breathe.
I been stuck for days with all the truck doors frozen shut.
Who knows if the thing will start? Nobody.

I'm comfortable with Indian time, I know it well.
One of my great summer pleasures is picking berries for winter pies.
Stripping over a tarp is quick, maybe 5 lbs per hour.
30+ pounds is a nice number, cleaned , bagged and frozen.
Hunting birds is another pleasure. I'm quite good at it most days.
Then there's bison and beef and lamb and pork and chickens to preserve.
I can grow all sorts of greens all winter. What I miss is fruit like oranges.

None of this is for supper tonight. None of this is really essential, I can afford everything in the store.
Just has to be stockpiled for later when the world is all white.

Le Loup: your opinion please. Is clean water something to stockpile?

Reactions: Le Loup
There is realy only one solution to human detramental influence on this earth...

Well possibly two Corso, I think if we got rid of all the corrupt governments & changed the corrupt government systems, we could put an end to all of the world's problems including polluting & destruction. But the second way, well global warming is going to take care of that, just a matter of time, & I think perhaps not that long to wait mate!

Reactions: Woody girl
How are your ribs, 'cariboo?' That's dark news.
I have 2 torn up ribs on the right side, they make a clicking sound (that I hear) when I breathe.
I been stuck for days with all the truck doors frozen shut.
Who knows if the thing will start? Nobody.

I'm comfortable with Indian time, I know it well.
One of my great summer pleasures is picking berries for winter pies.
Stripping over a tarp is quick, maybe 5 lbs per hour.
30+ pounds is a nice number, cleaned , bagged and frozen.
Hunting birds is another pleasure. I'm quite good at it most days.
Then there's bison and beef and lamb and pork and chickens to preserve.
I can grow all sorts of greens all winter. What I miss is fruit like oranges.

None of this is for supper tonight. None of this is really essential, I can afford everything in the store.
Just has to be stockpiled for later when the world is all white.

Le Loup: your opinion please. Is clean water something to stockpile?

Indian time, yes me too RV, ever since I was a kid.
Clean water stockpile: I think it would be worthwhile RV, but not sure how long water will last. If it is kept in the dark, it will last longer before growing algae. We do this anyway, our water supply is from rainwater catchment tanks. We have just purchased two more 1000 gallon tanks. One has arrived & I have installed it already, but the other has not arrived yet.
Because of the bushfires over here, mains water supplies are getting contaminated. Global warming has created a long drought here with little to no rain. One town nearby has its water contaminated with arsenic, so they are having to purchase water. Other places have run out of water completely, & cities are on water restrictions.
New-Water-tank-001-REDUCED.jpg

New tank on the left. Fed from the main house roof. I buried the pipe so it comes up by the tank. The new tank is now the one fed from the roof & it overflows into the original tank, hence the pipe crossover seen here.
Water-tanks-REDUCED.jpg

The two main 5000 gallon cement water tanks. Lower one fed by the main house roof, then pumped to the upper tank & gravity fed into the house.
The new tank coming will be fed from the overflow on the lower tank.
Laundry-Water-Tank-003-REDUCED.jpg

This 5000 gallon water tank is fed from the cottage roof, & it supplies the cottage & the main house outside laundry.
Dam-Flats-REDUCED.jpg
021.jpg

Cattail Pond is quite large & deep & is used to supply our gardens. But now due to the drought for the fist time in over 30 years it is only about a quarter full, & we have had to stop using it in case the water is needed for the bushfires.

It has been very smoky here from the nearby bushfires, but so far we have not noticed any tainting of the water supply.
Keith.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonb

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Your plant growth around the pond should be a magnificent water filter.
I like the look of your tank system and that is the price of independence.

We are on the flood plain, just above the Fraser River. I think that I could augur a 6' hole for water, should be pretty good.
Actually, we get all we need from mountain snow melt. Sure is good water.
There are enough small creeks that cross the valley floor that water should(?) be the least of our worries.

I keep quite a stock of dry foods. An avalanche on one side and a rock slide or a wash-out on the other and we are cut off.
There is the train which takes some coordination but it works OK for groceries.
I might get a few more water jugs and rotate those out for the house plants and cook some pasta..

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Our Spiecies evolved about 200K years ago, -at a time in which there were several different Homos.

That time has been one of sometimes catastropic change.

We are the only ones left.

And unless we split into new groupings, we are the only ones to survive in the future.

Change is something we have to live with.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The thing everybody forgets is that it took humans many hundreds and thousands if not millions of years to evolve. They lived in harmony with nature and did not destroy it wholemeal as we have done in the past few hundred years.
We no longer live in harmony with the planet. We fight it all the way. Wars, oil, nuclear disasters. Non of it is beneficial to the earth. It makes me so sad when government says we will do this and that by 2050. That's 30 years away. Look at what damage we did in the last 30 yrs.much of it irreversible, and having an impact on lives today. For many it's already too late. Nothing can bring back the pink dolphins of the yangtse river. (Sorry if I spelt that wrong)
Modern man is a destroyer of the world and has forgotten the caretaking duties we were entrusted with on this earth. Just ask any indigenous people anywhere in the world. It's worth studying their cultures rather than just seeing them as being needed to be brought into the modern world kicking and screaming with no choice in the matter, becomming reliant on modern technology within a generation or two. Loosing wisdom and knowledge and their reason for being. Then complaining they live with alcohol abuse diabetes child and other personal abuses. Their souls are hurting as they no longer live in harmony. We just see it as poorly educated people with no drive to succeed, whereas in fact they have just lost their reason for living and futures and all hope.
Yes civilisations rise and fall but mainly because they become too controlling of their world and exploit it.
We used to have a British empire once.
I'm not sure we havnt just made ourselves a small island again divided into many tribes .
The last time we were in a similar situation. ...... the Romans invaded! :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think that geneticists have found traces of at least three other human 'races' in our genome in various parts of the world and even older mix ups have apparently happened.

Personally I am not very concerned about climate change, nothing I can do about it and nothing anybody can do as long as China, India and most of Africa do not care.

Where something maybe could be done is various spill ups and industrial and city effluents.

I am not holding my breath for something to happen though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE