Survival in the Bush; Bernard Devlin 1954

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gerryg

Jul 10, 2009
Ontario
I searched to see if this has been posted here before but could not see it so if this is a duplicate my apologies. If you have not seen it before enjoy, gerry

This short documentary illustrates what to do when you're lost in the bush. Filmed in 1954, an NFB producer and a Native guide allow themselves to be marooned in the bush with only an axe and their wits as means of survival. They eat off the land, build their own birchbark canoe and make their way out.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/survival_in_the_bush/

Note: NFB is the National Film Board of Canada

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Interesting video, the can of chicken was funny, the end was a tad mean though. Isn't it illegal now to kill a bear if it has a cub? Maybe I'm wrong on that but it's still not a very nice thing to do. Thanks for sharing.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
A useful and fun film. yup, terrible to kill a bear, especially one that has caused no harm save nicking a couple of fish, but this was from a different age so, although not nice to watch, was probably viewed as ok back then.
It was very amusing to watch the TV guy do bugger all while his Algonquin guide seemed to be working all hours, but what skill and talent and to think, his fount of knowledge is in such short supply.

Great link

Cheers

Baggins

gerryg

Jul 10, 2009
Ontario
I believe you are right about bear hunting to day but as Baggins said, that was a different time. What was really impressive to me was everything that Angus could do including his artistry with an axe, gerry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE