Survival getting water!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Ive been watching a short survival story about a couple and their kids stuck in the wildness in oregon and how they were stuck the 9days suffering dehydration and lack of food.

There was no river to get water from. In the middle of a forest. Apart from melting or collecting snow.

Q. How can you get water to drink from wooded areas, with now stream/river or any clear water source?

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
If youve got a plastic bag, you can put that over a branch of a tree and get water from that (cant remember how or the science behind it but it works) or keep digging until you find the natural water table.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
In areas where the water table is fairly high, you could make a sip well or gipsy well- but that would be a bit too easy. Assuming the water table is low:
-transpiration bags around leafy vegetation (assumes you have plastic bags/or some other moisture tight container)
-collection of dew in the morning
-tapping of sap in the spring
-finding water collected in tree hollows (often containing a bit too much tanin)
-and if you really wanted to, and had the kit, a solar still, which can be sped up with placing leafy veg in the pit, as well as urinating in it. Too be honest though, this method gives a pretty poor return in anything other than ideal conditions.

There are probably others!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Paul's is the obvious one to try, I think the rewards are limited though.

Sap could have been collected from trees like Maple, Sycamore or Birch. Some mosses hold lots of water and so does some punky wood.

It's easy to say it sat here in a nice comfy office but I'd have been going off for reccys, following the lie of the land searching for the low ground and possible streams/rivers.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Paul's is the obvious one to try, I think the rewards are limited though.

Sap could have been collected from trees like Maple, Sycamore or Birch. Some mosses hold lots of water and so does some punky wood.

It's easy to say it sat here in a nice comfy office but I'd have been going off for reccys, following the lie of the land searching for the low ground and possible streams/rivers.

Can drinking to much sap give you adverse effects?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Might not a few days of the trots exacerbate the dehydration?

I wouldn't like to say mate, I've drunk plenty of birch sap and never had any ill effects, I suppose folk react differently though. As far as I know maple sap, sycamore sap and birch sap are all good to drink with minimal reactions.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Might not a few days of the trots exacerbate the dehydration?

I watched an episode of Dual survival where the guys were in a swamp. Cody refused to drink the water as they had no way to purify it, but after a day or two and starting to suffer serious dehydration he started drinking it anyway, as it might give you the trots etc and kill you, but you should still last a day or two longer than if you didn't drink it.

Jan 6, 2012
Chester
Transpiration bag is good. personally i would tie my T-shirt around my ankles and go walking in the long grass to collect dew. i believe spagnum moss also gathers alot of water when it has recently rained. there are loads of methods, its just knowing the right ones :D

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If there is vegetation then there is water somewhere.
Lots of vegetation = lots of water

It really depends on where this water is though, it may be from rain, dew or a ground source or all 3.

Transpiration can be effective, but a lot depends on the time of year, wind etc.
If you had enough ploy bags and time though you should be able to get enough water from this method to survive for 9 days.
In winter you'd need a fair amount of poly bags though.

There is also urine.
Although it's been on a few "shows" recently i would not recommend anyone to rink their own urine straight.
You could make a still though and collect the evaporated fluid and drink that, you'd need wood and a few containers to boil the urine and collect the evaporated fluid mind.

If it was raining often or had rained recently then i'd concentrate my efforts on collecting water from natural containers, puddles etc.

If it hadn't rained and there was plenty of vegetation then i'd search for a couple of hard wood sticks and dig a hole in the lowest bit of land i could find.

In my experience though the best thing to do is just track the wildlife in the area.
Nearly all will need some water source, and all will leave some tracks or another, so you'd need to spend a bit of time sitting and watching where the birds are flying to/from, if there are any signs of larger mammals (Pigs, Deer etc) and follow the tracks.

This is win win as if they do draw you to water you also now have a place to concentrate on getting a food source as well.

As for sterilising water, if you have a container and fire making tools/material then it is well worth the time and effort to ensure clean water.
Having the trots is really the least of your worries, as there are some VERY nasty parasites and bacteria living in water, some will not show up for weeks or months, others within hours.
Some are easily cured others have no known cure and even if you make it out you still have little chance of surviving it.

It'd really have to be a last min absolutely no chance of boiling it emergency for me to drink non treated water.
I'd also need to have a large supply as if i do get the trots i'd need a LOT more fluid than before.

As Shewie says though it's easy to sit here and spout the theories.
In practice it's often a lot different, especially when you consider that folks that do get into difficulties very rarely believe they'll not be rescued quickly enough not to bother making longer term arrangements.
For some they feel the simple act of making preparations for a overnight, or longer stay means they've admitted there is a problem and they have inevitably made a mistake.
It really does take a strong will and determination to make the decision to set up for the night if that is not what you intended.
Even then if there is more in a group then others will want to keep on walking, searching and trying rather than make camp for the night.

Cheers
Mark

Jan 9, 2012
Shropshire
there is a few pools of water around where i walk you cant use the water as its stagnant and picks up alsorts or rubbish on it there is a local pond as well wiith fish but could be rats about the only option is to use tried methods if im out for long time or just bring my own in

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE