survival bag advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
so far I have a hatchet,folding saw,fixed blade knife, iodine tablets, sharpening stone, twelve snares, 1 coninbear, 1 foot hold, fishing lures/hooks/weight/line, Minnow sein, medical kit, flashlight, maya sticks, wind/water proof matches, lighter, duct tape, bright orange tape, gas mask, surgical mask, paracord, goggles, firesteel, crow call/squirrel call, signal mirror, aluminum foil, a pot, clear plastic bags, bug spray, water filter-------any advice on something that I should add or care to share your own. Thanks.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
so far I have a hatchet,folding saw,fixed blade knife, iodine tablets, sharpening stone, twelve snares, 1 coninbear, 1 foot hold, fishing lures/hooks/weight/line, Minnow sein, medical kit, flashlight, maya sticks, wind/water proof matches, lighter, duct tape, bright orange tape, gas mask, surgical mask, paracord, goggles, firesteel, crow call/squirrel call, signal mirror, aluminum foil, a pot, clear plastic bags, bug spray, water filter-------any advice on something that I should add or care to share your own. Thanks.

What are:
- 1 coninbear, and
- Minnow sein

No M-16 with 203 launcher? :AR15firin ;)

On a serieus note:
Maybe a light sleeping bag, and looking at the style of your kit, maybe a poncho (doubles as tarp / basha / hootchie, rain gear, if it's camo: concealment, bivy bag to keep your sleeping bag dry in an improvised shelter.

Personally I'd ditch
- duct tape, or make it is bright orange (saves weight / bulk)
- gas mask and surgical mask (what's the chance on a (N)BC attack at your location, at the same time as you're around? And ... for the surgical mask, though it doesn't way much ... don't think you plan to do open heart surgery in the field? :D
- crow call/squirrel call (it's considered to be extremely impolite to whistle at your dinner ;))

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Compass and maps?

Something like a inflateable water bladder or 2, doubles as floatation device.

Tea lights, besides light small amount of warmth yo can whittle the diameter down wrap in corrugated cardboard, place back in container and use them as a wax cooker.

With some of those objects in there is hard to work out what your planning for but with Squirrel/bird call some surgical tubing to make a catapult might be usefull.
Handfull on nails. ( construction, tent pegs, spear/arrow tips )
Superglue.
Monocular.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
I'm hoping to survive whatever needs surviving. Personally I consider the gas mask one of the most valuable pieces of the kit, I realized terrorism was a reality when 5,000 of my countrymen were murdered two hours from my home not so long ago. A conibear is a type of trap that closes on an animals body, a minnow sein is just a big net for fish. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
hmmm , that sounded like trolling to me... this is a bushcraft forum.

While I am accutely aware that many americans died a number of years ago, the american media had no problem showing the footage of peoples deaths live (does that make it a snuff movie?), surviving terrorist attack isn't covered by any bushcraft course I have done.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
hmmm , that sounded like trolling to me... this is a bushcraft forum.

While I am accutely aware that many americans died a number of years ago, the american media had no problem showing the footage of peoples deaths live (does that make it a snuff movie?), surviving terrorist attack isn't covered by any bushcraft course I have done.

First of all, I have nothing to do with the "American media", secondly I gave a list of what was in my bag, and people questioned the gas mask so I felt I needed to make it clear how important I thought it was. If that is an innapropriate item to make mention of on this site then just forget about it- i didnt realize people would take offense to it, please continue with your suggestions and thanks for the ones mentioned.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, whenever someone recommends an item of kit, it should be for a reason, there is, afterall, no point in packing something you don't need or want... it's dead weight.

When I pack any kit, I think to myself "what am I likely to encounter?" and it's that information I was trying to get at... the smiley face I used should have set a mild humoured tone that would not normally warrant such a strong and untempered response.

I for one can't help with such a generic "whatever needs surviving" because that may involve medication for diabetes, equipment for a heart attack or anything.... "is this just for you or for your family" as an example.

However, if you are trying to build a ditch kit type bag of tricks for a rough time of year in an urban or wilderness environment we can help... without that basic information, all we're doing is throwing bits of kit that we like at you.

I would like to recommend and help and learn a few things myself from this but if there is no specific goal, we're never going to reach it.

Cheers,

Joe

First of all, I have nothing to do with the "American media", secondly I gave a list of what was in my bag, and people questioned the gas mask so I felt I needed to make it clear how important I thought it was. If that is an innapropriate item to make mention of on this site then just forget about it- i didnt realize people would take offense to it, please continue with your suggestions and thanks for the ones mentioned.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
I agree with you Sqidders, however, I also keep a kit for each member of my family because I live in hurricane country. I try to keep in them what I think would make life comfortable should I return home from an evacuation and all I have left is a cement slab. :eek: So my kit has alot of items that would be extra weight provided we were to go camping or whatever. As far as a gas mask goes I don't own one, however, rather than a terrorist attack, I would be more concerned with a train derailment and toxic chemical spill which could happen in my town and has already, then a gas mask would come in handy. I think what mattw is looking for is what I have heard called a bug out bag. Kinda like my emergency kit, but with a little of everything. Not Bushcraft mind you, but more of a survival kit. Just my humble opinion.

Alex

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
Alright, that's true. Items for a very long hike, three weeks maybe. I am only carrying a backpack, I have a multi-tool and knife on my belt. Only supplies for myself and also assume it's less then ideal, for instance I can't take three weeks worth of food and water. Also has anyone read any good books on navigation. Oh and by the way it's a temperate climate. Thanks!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Don't want to cause a rukas but are you seriously expecting something to happen that would mean you'd need all that stuff? Do you live and work in the middle of nowhere? If so the chances of you being hit by a terrorist attack are so amazingly slim that you may as well worry about random planes simply falling out of the sky and landing on you. If you live and work in a large town chances are this will all be in your car and you'll not get to it soon enough. Sorry to put a downer on your plans but don't you think you're being a little paranoid?

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
How about mosquito netting, water filtration system, condiments, book on edible plants, camera, waterproof bag liner, hammock, tea bags, beef jerky. That's just some of what I keep in my hunting bag that you haven't mentioned yet. There is plenty more. :D

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Matt,

There are other sites that may be more in tune with the type kit you are contemplating. This is more of a primitive camping and field craft sort of mind set here. Not a survival board at all.

I'd be happy to help but this is not the place. Training and practice with the various tools are just as important if not more so. PM me if you are serious.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
what kind of gas mask?

first of all, if you going to carry a gasmask, you will need a suit too. Vapors that are absorbed by the skin, is just as leathal/harmfull. It only takes longer to die (that can be a bad thing too...)

No NBC gloves and boots? those are one of the most importent to prevent liquid exposure to any Chemcical agents.

no decontamination stuff?

secondly most gasmaks that are sold, are old masks that have will have developed cracks and stuff, causing leaks that which can be hard to find.

The old filter cannisters are often trainings cannisters (teargas), some have tiny capactity (soviet civilian models), occationally asbestos is used as part of the filter medium and if you unlucky enough some have reactive cores that turns toxic over the years.

i highly recommend not to carry a gasmask, if you'r not trained in using them. And if you do carry them, you need the hole NBC kit, or else you wasting time. And for god sake don't forget to remove the seal on the intake side of the cannisters.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
That's true Weaver but both schools of thought overlap. Bushcraft skills and survival skills are one in the same in many respects. I think Bushcraft is more of a back to basics approach. More in tune with how the ancients did things. Sometimes a mixture of old and new. Depending on who you ask. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE