Surveying for gravid reptiles

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, it's coming up to one of the busiest and best times of the year for us herpetologists... baby season. Another few weeks and the little ones will be hatching (Grass snakes and Sand lizards) or giving birth (Slow-worms, Adders, Common lizard and Smooth snakes). With this in mind, I thought I'd better have a break from werewolf hunting and actually do what I'm paid for.

Was a good day, with 22 slow-worms (amazing 15 gravid females), nine adders (one gravid female, not good) and two grass snakes (both male).

DSC07387.jpg

Here's the biggest female, clearly preggers and about to drop in three or four weeks dependng on the weather....

DSC07413.jpg

DSC07414.jpg

And a slightly smaller female, probably only her first pregnancy...

DSC07427.jpg

DSC07426.jpg

A female adder which had the biggest tick I've ever seen on her head (had fun getting that off)...

5-1.jpg

And one grumpy male...

119.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oooops, forgot the Common lizards. There were too many to count, the majority had already given birth and there were neonates everywhere basking together. Couldn't get any pictures as they were so damned fast as it was quite warm today. I must have seen about 30+ adults, 12 of which were females that had given birth already. Neonates, I must have seen above 50 altogether.

thhf.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I really like that grumpy male pic! are female pregga adders something thats in decline?

Yeah, habitat maintenance (destruction) during the breeding season is having a major effect and causing the males to disperse from the traditional mating grounds before the females come out of hibernation. It's clearly having a direct effect. And not only on the reptiles, several birds nests were destroyed during bracken and birch clearing this year. It amazes me that the National Trust ignores this year after year in order to make their reserves more picturesque for the public.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Had my first swimming Adder a couple of weeks ago.

Found it near the shore about 30 metres from vegetation at L Doon.

Trying to keep the dog away I only managed a bad mobile shot before it made off.

As said my first swimmer.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You don't often see them swimming. Obviously their main habitat mostly precludes that anyway. But I've known them enter water and swim under for a fair amount of time looking for food where the opportunity has been available to them. It is so rare to see them swimming though, and to get it filmed too is great.

They are considered largely diurnal too (which goes against what their elliptical pupil shape suggests), but at the moment I'm gathering considerable proof that their activities are also very much nocturnal in the warmer months of the year, if not mainly so, which is possibly why encounters during the day are less frequent at these times. Seeing adders about at night shows them in a far more active hunting and investigating role, so much so that they actively will investigate you if you sit still enough, it's amazing.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm assuming here that getting their 'steam' up during the day allows a good few hours on the go during night and that they perhaps don't emit much smell for the prey to detect?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm assuming here that getting their 'steam' up during the day allows a good few hours on the go during night and that they perhaps don't emit much smell for the prey to detect?

I think so, yeah. They can get up to temp by about 0700 to 0800. They then lay in sparse cover until night taking heat from their surroundings. Of course, after a days hard sun, the ground will be radiating heat throughout the night, more than enough to keep them completely active till morning. I haven't seen them after 0100 at night mind you, which suggests they retire around then till sun up. Ive seen them absorb heat from stony ground and metal refugia throughout the night as well. Stopping and spreading their bodies flat for about 20 mins before resuming their activities.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Is a meal usually just one item and how long will it last until the next?

Sorry if i'm being a pest.

Tom.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is a meal usually just one item and how long will it last until the next?

Sorry if i'm being a pest.

Tom.

No problem,

A field vole will last a fully grown adder up to three weeks, although if the weather is hot, it will possibly need another meal after about ten to fourteen days. If the opportunity presents itself, they will take two to three prey items (such as nestlings). Younger adders need more regular meals as they have to provide extra fuel for growth as well.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks Jonathan,

Much prefer original obs than those in print.

There is surprisingly little printed with accurate knowledge on the life and habits of our little adder. A lot of stuff you find is plain incorrect. Longevity in books has them listed at living up to ten years in the wild. Many of us involved in V.berus study know of individuals well over the 30 year mark, ten years is relatively young. Field guides also have them down as strictly diurnal, which is clearly not the case. Recent studies also have their venom as being just as potent as a Timber rattler, but their size stops them delivering the same amounts.

Considering the amount of people and studies that go into bats, owls, voles, otters and other native species, the adder is at the bottom of the list, which is a shame.

Saying that though, Tony Phelps has been working on a book dedicated soley to his 45 plus years study into the adder and should be available soon. That will be a superb book and blow many conceptions out of the water.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
There is surprisingly little printed with accurate knowledge on the life and habits of our little adder. A lot of stuff you find is plain incorrect. Longevity in books has them listed at living up to ten years in the wild. Many of us involved in V.berus study know of individuals well over the 30 year mark, ten years is relatively young. Field guides also have them down as strictly diurnal, which is clearly not the case. Recent studies also have their venom as being just as potent as a Timber rattler, but their size stops them delivering the same amounts.

Considering the amount of people and studies that go into bats, owls, voles, otters and other native species, the adder is at the bottom of the list, which is a shame.

Saying that though, Tony Phelps has been working on a book dedicated soley to his 45 plus years study into the adder and should be available soon. That will be a superb book and blow many conceptions out of the water.

just give me 6 - 8 years and ill be out there helping you! :D
went to look at a few acres of woodland and came across many young newts on the land. is there such a thing as a land newt? they weren't too far from the lake but it was like a Saharan salt plain everywhere else! amazingly, that small pond was a big lake earlier this year!
lots of toads to, though i assume they bred a lot earlier this year. it looked like a decent adder habitat, big dry basking hill with thistles and other sharp plants with woodland to each side full of holes about an adders size.
its 50K though so i dont think we can get it :(

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE