Surplus On Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jelkel25

Jan 13, 2015
Hertfordshire
Hi!!

Iv'e been buying bushcraft related army surplus for years with few problems but recently it's been so hit and miss I think I've had enough of them, is this the same in anyone else's experience??

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
I've given up buying kit off of eBay mainly due to poor quality - in the early days it was great but now it seems there's too much tat sold as 'quality'.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
When it comes to military surplus I'm very much in the touch it, feel it and rummage around to see what else they've got in the bargain bins. Ebay in principle is a great idea but way to many drop-shippers on there now out to make an easy buck are spoiling it.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Having swapped most of my uniform to a the exchange yanks, it took me a month, for the replacement mtp smock to actually fit. Not all sizes are the same production marks as my oxters felt the pinch. Great when having your 1157 checked on the rare blue moon.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
What kind of surplus are you buying? The older kit will be staring to run out so it'll be whatever the seller has left your being sent.

Tonyuk

jelkel25

Jan 13, 2015
Hertfordshire
I get that impression, they buy in a job lot, the good stuff goes quickly and half the time you end up with the tatty junk that's left at the end.

jelkel25

Jan 13, 2015
Hertfordshire
I used to have 2/3 sellers you could trust but I've even seen items on their sites now which are just playing on peoples lack of knowledge, I suppose they have to compete with the rip off artists.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I got my bag from a surplus store, and my fire steel, and my cup...yeah some stuff is hit and miss, but generally I've found if it's broken within 6 months they'll replace it (providing it's not an intentional break or over usage wear and tear break).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
eBay is increasingly a site that allows tat to be punted. And if it's fake, copied etc then they're breaking the law. Caveat Emptor. I'd rather not shop there than than be disappointed and enter into a dispute.

However, they did invent PayPal which is one of the best online payment systems. 180 days for complaints.

Last edited:

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Can't say I am too fussed with paypal - they're expensive. I seem to remember a competing similar service called NoCheques (I think lol) which was cheaper to use; probably squeezed out due to the hand in glove relationship between eBay/Paypal.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
The best place I have found recently (although many limited to summer months) is the living history type shows. There are so many stalls fighting for your custom, you can get some quite good deals.
Last summer I picked up a few things for my son for cadets. MTP basha new £30 (about the right price for that), MTP 1st gen Gortex jacket as new £20, 100l MTP long back bergen, new £40 and a couple of very good if not new mk4 Osprey pouches for £2.50 each.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Theses days, since I go anyway, most of the surplus I get comes from carboots and the sort of flea markets that have house clearance stuff rather than high end antiques. It's more hit and miss of course but there's usually someone clearing out the kit that's been in a wardrobe for years annoying the wife. Normally stuff is dirt cheap as they just want rid and it had been proffed in the first place. For example I've picked up two last issue sleeping bags for 5 and 3 quid respectively. I'm only getting rid of them as I later picked up a pair of really nice Ajungalac bags for the eldest two for £6 a pop from a charity shop and they didn't want both clogging up their wardrobes. Fishing gear stalls often have cheap surplus as well, got a buffalo outer sleeping bag (just needed a two inch square patch, otherwise new) for a fiver.

Like I said its hit and miss but I go anyway for tools to restore, also I pick up a lot of high end camping gear and clothes for my sons , you can afford to be fussy as theirs loads there, I'm always amazed at what folk almost give away that originally cost 100s and practically didn't use. A excellent guide to how much something has been used is the state of the zips. Look for the obvious signs of wear, rips etc of course and bobbling at the cuffs and pockets. Most zip pulls are coated with stuff that chips off either in use or the washing machine. If you are slim you are made, at the mo the lads are all clothed pretty much exclusively in high end outdoors gear ( apart from T shirts and underwear ) bought as new because their waists are all sub 32". I've not bought a breathable jacket new for them for about 8 years. Thank grud for rich folk who buy stuff then pork out before they've worn them twice! Occasionally I slum it and buy Regatta trousers if completely minty. One thing I'm glad of is all three are too gormless to know the whole fly on the other side for women thing do so long as the colour/ patterns unisex I've been buying them ladies stuff and cutting the labels off ( they are teen age boys and have some misplaced dignity left ) for years! Rohan trousers for £2.50? So what if the bums a bit loose!

ive rambled on , but really, when they start up again try a few boots.

atb

Tom

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Had generally good results - pays to read the ads very carefully and not least 'between the lines'! Pet gripe is time after time seeing 'free postage' and then getting a message a day or so later - the courier wants £895.99 plus VAT to deliver to an IV postcode - please can you Paypal the extra so we can send you the £3.99 hanky... ( exaggeration for comedic effect - but not that far off! :) )

jelkel25

Jan 13, 2015
Hertfordshire
Good Idea, I've got a few bargains from charity shops but for some reason I've never done the car boot thing, there's no excuse either, two big car boots are fairly close to me. Time has been limited last year so when a bit of spare time comes up, out comes the boots/rucksack and some walking gets done or I'll end up flogging my gear at car boot as I'll be too porky!!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Can't say I am too fussed with paypal - they're expensive. I seem to remember a competing similar service called NoCheques (I think lol) which was cheaper to use; probably squeezed out due to the hand in glove relationship between eBay/Paypal.

Same company I believe. Paypal was invented by eBay as their payment system. For the kind of payments I make, it's not too expensive, and the cost is in favour of my financial security.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Same company I believe. Paypal was invented by eBay as their payment system. For the kind of payments I make, it's not too expensive, and the cost is in favour of my financial security.

PayPal had been going for years before eBay bought them. Since then they've been split off as a separate company though eBay still has a share of them. What ever PayPal's ownership I don't really trust them.

jelkel25

Jan 13, 2015
Hertfordshire
I got a Dutch plastic water bottle with DPM pouch (grade 1), the pouch had been ''waterproofed'' with boot polish and the belt clips were rusty. A Dutch aluminium water bottle that was totally oxidised, A French aluminium water bottle that had a substance in the bottom of it with the consistency and hardness of amber, A British 100% wool tube scarf that was a poly cotton small tube scarf like what motor cyclists wear and a Danish jeep cap that was actually a pound shop jeep cap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE