Superstitions in bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
what superstitions if any come to play while you bushcraft ?

i.e if someone gives me a knife then i will give them a silver coin so the freindship doesn't get cut?

offerings when i prune something's like a piece of 6 inch of willow into some wet earth or spreading of seeds?

any others?

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
I always carry a scarf cut from a Parachute, which carried me to safety on my first Jump in the Army...(hope no one used the Chute after me :) )

I have had rows with my wife over it (she almost threw it out!!)

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Had to give this one some thought....then realised there were a few!Breaking a bannock rather than cutting it,saluting/spitting at magpies(depends on the company-have actually given this one up after seeing 32 magpies in one tree!! :eek: ),opening packets the 'right' end(not restricted to bushcraft),taking any close encounter with wildlife,lightning,death 'as a sign'.....

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I tried using a stone to gather lichen and reindeer moss......it didnt work! :lmao:

Sorry
I know if ya cant say something constructive dont say it at all!

pete :togo:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
always thank the tree or plant from whome you take something.. and make an offering if you have anything of worth.. i have quite a few others but most are very personal!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Owls are bad news with some of the indigenous people here in the States. One that comes to mind is, that if one is seen, it means someone will die and not always the one that saw it, but perhaps a member of the family, or extended family.

I also make offerings, usually tobacco, when I take anything, including a stone. If a plant is to be taken, I never take all I need from one plant, but will take a little from several. The offering represents a promise of my eventual return to the Earth and not taking all from one place, is so that the plant will bare fruit again so that future generations will have plenty.

I suppose that there are a couple of superstitions that I adhere to. If I am gifted a weapon, it must eventually be passed on to someone else. If a visitor to my home/camp comes with an open hand in friendship, I offer water and food, two of the basic needs for life. This insures that they and their progeny will have enough to offer to someone else in need. Maybe me!

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
This is going to sound really stupid. (cuckoo.....cuckoo) :yikes:
But when your at your camp and you misplace something and cant find it. Ask for help from St Anthony the patron saint of lost things, and I bet it'll turn up!

Im not mad honest :confused: :eek:

pete

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
wolf said:
if i hear an owl in a woods when i get there i wont stay,ill move else where... :eek:

Isn't it odd how different people like and don't like different things, I sleep in a little wood in Wales when I'm over there running in the beacons. I call it sleepy wood because I never seem to get to bed before 3am and am never up before midday...I love it there and feel safe and secure in it's dark gloom (it's a dence plantation wood of larch, not much light). There are always Owls about and it amuses and warms me to cup my hands and hoot to them....and you know what they hoot back too! :)
I guess I can't understand why Wolf wouldn't stay there any more then he could understand why I like it so much....funny old world hey! :D

Bam.

(Oh back on topic....there's all the weather superstitions you guys haven't mentioned yet...red sky at night and all that ;) )

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I don't believe in any superstitions at all.

Red sky at night shepherd's delight
Red sky in the morning shepherd's warning, isn't a superstition.

Bet you guys are gonna see if you can catch me out now :D .

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Rebel said:
I don't believe in any superstitions at all.

Red sky at night shepherd's delight
Red sky in the morning shepherd's warning, isn't a superstition.

Bet you guys are gonna see if you can catch me out now :D .

No I guess you're right, bad example....I meant more the sort of thing your granny said...."three winged bat at night, tomorrow the weather will be sh**e"....that sort of thing lol :lmao:

Oh heck I'm still wide of the mark aren't I... :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE