Supersize my sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
I bought my current sleeping bag in my early twenties when I had a slim sylphlike body. Having just discovered the pleasures of bushcrafting I find that at 48 years of age and with 100 kg of blubber I may need some updated sleeping kit. When I used the sleeping bag in August I had to leave the zip half undone to fit comfortably in the bag which obviously won't be possible in the cooler months.

Has anybody any experience or advice on sleeping bags for the larger camper they would like to share?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Firstly I will put on me armour.

Here goes. Snugpak has a new range with a built in expander panel so you can make the bag more comfortable. Here

The real point is to go and try a few different ones in the shops and see what feels comfortable. Like boots it's important you get the right one for you and it dosen't have to cost a fortune.

James

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I've had a couple of Snugpak expanda panels on order for quite a while now... When they eventually arrive I'll give you a review. I have ordered them with the intention of making the Snugpak big enough to go over another bag in very cold weather, or to allow me to wear clothing inside the bag.

Note that I ordered these back in August / September, before I bought a Nanok from Outdoorcode! :)

Now to place a call to the supply company and find out where they are! :)

ODG

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
risby said:
I find that at 48 years of age and with 100 kg of blubber I may need some updated sleeping kit.
Has anybody any experience or advice on sleeping bags for the larger camper they would like to share?

Haha,
Only 100 kg ;) Lightweight!
I recently got hold of a Coleman Polar Something for £25 from Sheppards Stores in Leominster - they've set up a website at www.sheppardstores.co.uk (I think, won't be too far away from the actual address though). its pretty big at 235cm X 95cm IIRC. The shop is worth a look anyway.
Up until I got that, I was directing folk to the Rayway website with details of how to make your own quilt for camping - the underneath of a sleeping bag gets crushed and so offers little insulation, so do away with it and use a seperate quilt and mat ;) . I haven't tried but the theory sounds faultless.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
I've been using a Snugpak expanda panel on my Kestrel for the last 3 years. They are the dog's dangly bits. I love mine to bits - but you need to ensure that you get the correct sided zip otherwise it's baffle won't fit properly.

They still enable you to use your draw cords and pull it tight around you - but it gives you lots of wiggling room - and of course, space for a belly!!!

A few friends in the forces have since bought them because they are wide enough for you to get your bangstick in your bag with you - which is handy - or so they tell me. Personally, I'd rather not poke a fire arm next to my neked body - but each to their own!!!

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
jamesdevine said:
Snugpak has a new range with a built in expander panel so you can make the bag more comfortable.
SnugPak ads do not include the dimensions. I guess they think they're USP is the way the bags pak up so snug so they only give the packed up size.

Ogri the trog said:
Haha,
Only 100 kg Lightweight!
I recently got hold of a Coleman Polar Something for £25 from Sheppards Stores in Leominster - they've set up a website at www.sheppardstores.co.uk (I think, won't be too far away from the actual address though). its pretty big at 235cm X 95cm IIRC.
Thx 4 tht kind thought Ogri. I found the site at www.sheppards.co.uk and a Coleman Poplar Amazon but the price is now £34.99. However, still well good in comparison with the others: size is 235 x 90 and weight 2.5 kg. My current one is 180 x 65 (and weighs 1.8 kg) and I note that the Coleman Fusion Junior is 190 x 70 and described as "for teenagers". Interesting because the Nanok is only marginally bigger at 195 x 78.

RovingArcher said:
Or...........get two of the rectangular bags that zip together and hike in.
Good call, actually. I already have two and although mine are not rectangular they do zip together so taking both would result in a very comfortable, roomy option although heavy at 3.6 kg.
Still well worth considering as they are filled with down and that is supposed to compress much better than other fillings.

Batfink said:
A few friends in the forces have since bought ...[Snugpak expanda panels]... because they are wide enough for you to get your bangstick in your bag with you - which is handy - or so they tell me. Personally, I'd rather not poke a fire arm next to my neked body - but each to their own!!!
As long as I can get my baby Gransfors in there with I'll be happy, lol

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I have the same problem as some of you being a fair old lump myself,i find it real hard to get comfortable as i tend to feel constricted in just about every bag i have ever used.I was going to try getting one of the Ray Jardine quilts myself but i was too late and he is closing down his business i believe.Does anyone else do anything like the Jardine quilt?

CLEM said:
I have the same problem as some of you being a fair old lump myself,i find it real hard to get comfortable as i tend to feel constricted in just about every bag i have ever used.I was going to try getting one of the Ray Jardine quilts myself but i was too late and he is closing down his business i believe.Does anyone else do anything like the Jardine quilt?
I've just had a quick look at Ray Jardines website and it looks as if they've changed their minds and keeping the store open

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Motorbike Man said:
I've just had a quick look at Ray Jardines website and it looks as if they've changed their minds and keeping the store open
Great stuff,shall have to try a quilt of theirs now then :)

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Motorbike Man said:
I keep looking at them for using in a hammock. I might just have to get a friendly seamstress to have a go at making one for me :)

I'm sure you're not suggesting that sewing is woman's work are you now? :) Bushcraftiness is surely all about being able to do it for yourself.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Motorbike Man said:
I keep looking at them for using in a hammock. I might just have to get a friendly seamstress to have a go at making one for me :)
Same here,i was thinking along the same lines myself.And i too have a friendly seamstress who will be more than happy to make one for me too :)

If i had to sew it myself it would take me forever as it would have to be done by hand.To be honest i am surprised non have done a group buy from them.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
We use Coleman cocoon sleeping bags, they are very light, packable and warm and are filled with raw silk. I'd never heard of this as a filling before but it seems to work well, the bags are warm and spacious at least to single figure temperatures, we'll see this winter how they are in the sub zero range although I always use a tent and thermarest so it will be subjective as ever. Could it be that since Coleman are an American brand they tend to cater for the more upholstered bushcrafter.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Risby,
By the sound of it we are very similar. 53 and 104kgs. I bought a highlander bag to start with but when I got it home it was tight across the shoulders, Gave it to my son who loves it. I then contacted Outdoorcode and bought a Nanok Comfort 0 Deg bag, plenty of room. They are designed to put another Nanok bag inside to give about -25deg comfort if you go somewhere really cold. As I said PLENTY OF ROOM.
Ian.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Motorbike Man said:
How many folks on here have these,what do you actually sleep on when using these quilts,are they any good for use in hammocks as i would have thought they would be ideal and better than a sleepng bag perhaps?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE