Superdrug clean+dry hand gel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Something recommended to me which i now carry all the time, is Clear+Dry antibacterial hand gel. Squeeze a bit the of a pea on your palm and wash your hands as though under a running tap. It is very effective! No water or towel required.

The bonus is.....as it has a high alcohol content, you can put some on tinder and with an ignition source (match or firesteel) it lights very easily and burns slowly.

99p a bottle from your local Superdrug.

Attachments

• Hand Gel.jpg
    Hand Gel.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Hand Gel burning.jpg
    Hand Gel burning.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 184

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
never even thought of burning it! i use it all the time, chears! :You_Rock_
more ideas please!

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
We use this stuff all the time for Canoeing - You never know what's in the water...

Thats a great tip about firelighting - I must try that next time I'm out.

Graham.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Fenlander said:
Unfortunately Superdrug have now changed the ingredients in this stuff and have added a little something extra and as a result, it will no longer ignite :banghead:

If anyone finds a good alternative product, could they please let me know :confused:
Just upset the mrs by doing a test for you............
I recently bought some cuticura antibacterial hand gel from tesco because my superdrug one was getting low. It burns well mate, but it smells like vodka, so I am tempted to drink it too.............

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
pukexj7.gif

Jon Pickett said:
I recently bought some cuticura antibacterial hand gel from tesco because my superdrug one was getting low. It burns well mate, but it smells like vodka, so I am tempted to drink it too.............

That's great info matey :You_Rock_ I shall get some this weekend. Thankfully I have a good stock of Superdrug original handgel for personal use, but will transfer to the Tesco one for demonstrating to students ;)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Fenlander said:
Unfortunately Superdrug have now changed the ingredients in this stuff and have added a little something extra and as a result, it will no longer ignite :banghead:

If anyone finds a good alternative product, could they please let me know :confused:

There is this. Steridex from Bearclaw. I have a few tubes but have not tried lighting it yet. The product description says it will work, when I get the chance I will have to give it a go. http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/misc.htm

Half way down the page.

ATB....Stu

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Be careful of the alcohol gels, they will leave a residue from the thickening agent which is not good for Trangia type burners, or other liquid fuel stoves jets in the long run. As an alternative to gel packs for the Crusader set up it may be fine though.

But it is great for washing hands :) keep it up, and keep infection down ;)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Iv been using the 'LIFEVENTURE' stuff and previously the one on Ray Mears' website, ever since it was reccomended to me when I went to Morocco. Great stuff for answering the call of nature in the bush.

I wonder what its limits are though? Does it neutralise raw meat on your hands?

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I 'liberated' a 'few' litres of the stuff from the store cupboard at one of my workplaces and it's great stuff. I always keep a little bottle on me when out and about... although I am far from being a paranoid handscrubber. Eating dirt is good.... ;)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Jon Pickett said:

I've been using that one for a while now and can confirm it burns. (I just tried it as a test, because when I tried it before it didn't work - strange) The cuticura one is half the price of the Milton one (they sell both in Tesco). If it helps anyone, the cuticura one is near the liquid soaps and the Milton one with the baby stuff. I haven't tried the Milton one.

Jon Pickett said:

Bought some Cuticura today (it's a penny cheaper than the Superdrug stuff :D ) and it seems to perform better. They are both easy to ignite, but the Cuticura burns for longer ;) I will now recommend this stuff in my firecraft presentation :notworthy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE