Stoves - Gas vs Meths vs Alcohol Gel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Hi lads and lasses,

Well recently I've started wandering about in Iceland and Norway and even in the UK we can't have helped but notice that last winter and this one have already been harsher than usual. Almost all my little adventures thus far have been in pretty temperate conditions, but I'd heard that not all fuels are born equal when it comes to lower temperatures in cooler climates, so 'time for a test' thought I.

Luckily, the weather being what it is, the test could take place in my own back yard!

Here we have our three contestants: a pretty standard Karrimor gas burner running their own-brand butane/propane mix; a mini-Trangia (also known as the '28') running on meths; and a can of 'Lacor' brand chafing gel I picked up at a local garden centre.

ao77m.jpg

The test will be done on 700ml of water from the tap in an uncovered Dutch aluminium mess tin. Yep, I know that the Trangia comes with it's own covered pot and using an uncovered messtin in winter isn't the smartest, but the point was to see what was the best fuel/burner combination and not the most efficient cooking pot. All the kit and fuel has been out for 36hrs, and is being tested the morning after the second night out. It got to a pretty chilly -12c during the night, according to the BBC!

Frosty, eh?
14ltr8x.jpg

And they're off!
2cfd18x.jpg

I finished the gas test first, then lit up the meths, then lit up the gel 4 minutes later whilst the meths was still on - using a fresh mess tin for each so there was so heat left in the system from the previous test.

Gas boiling:
ic669e.jpg

The gel seemed to be getting off to a good start compared to the mini Trangia:
hsoy35.jpg

245jbe8.jpg

The results were a bit hard to interpret. For the gas I didn't notice any real difference between 'degrees of boiling' - the thing just hit the boil. For the meths and the gel though, I made a distinction between the '1st boiling point' - when I first saw those bubbles gathering eagerly at the bottom and releasing one by one - and the '2nd boiling point' - when I would call it fully boiling. There was more than a minute seperating these times with the Trangia, and the gel never even got to the second point: I waiting for ages whilst it was on the cusp of boiling over properly, but it just never seemed to get there. Disappointed, I called it a day on the gel; besides, there wasn't that much of the original 700ml left in the tin at that point, some serious evaporation had been at work.

Results:
'1st Boil' Pt. '2nd Boil' Pt.
Gas 6:18 6:18
Meths 23:20 24:30
Alc. Gel 27:15 N/A

Yep, you read right. It took more than half an hour and the gel still did not fully boil the water. Not exactly what you want of a morning when you need to get brekky and a cuppa down your neck and get moving.

What did I pick up from this? Well, gas doesn't seem to be the useless fuel I thought it became at subzero temperatures. It's important to note that this was in the UK and not extremely cold, I didn't have an accurate thermometer on me and things may well be different at -15, -20 or beyond, but I'd heard gas was terrible in the cold and in this case it was still by far the best option. Maybe it's a combination of altitude and cold that does for it, or extreme cold, but at least I'm glad my gas stove is usable in more circumstances than I originally thought it was.

The second thing I took away from this was that alcohol really isn't going to be my fuel of choice in the cold! Obviously boil times would be quicker with a covered pot as you would use for real, and I think the flame from the gel probably wasn't the optimum distance from the bottom of the pot given my cook-stand was two lumps of chopped wood, but still. Maybe preheating the burner or some other trick improves the performance, but this was still without any wind and not at altitude. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. Trangias are also a bugger to light when it's cold - don't rely on a firesteel spark, you need to get a match or bit of paper or something down into the well and really expose it to get it to catch. Gel lit easier but performed worse once lit.

I'd be interested to hear what your experiences are using different fuels, especially as this was just a backyard test and I've not had cause to cook in extreme cold on a tour yet. What do you find to be best suited?

I'm also wondering how naptha, petrol, kerosene and the various other fuels and multi-fuel stoves stand up in cold weather...

Cheers

Beardy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The test was poor as no lid was used so all you did was waste fuel and heat. A real Trangia would be a heck of a lot faster, gas using the propane/butane/isobutane mix would improve also. Lots of Scandanavians use Trangia in winter so they work, many also use a liquid fuel stove mostly burning paraffin as the cold has no effect on them. I don't use gel stoves although I did try the crusader thing, bloody awful it was too.

When camping in winter I take one of my paraffin stoves, more than likely an Optimus 111 or 111T, sometimes a Coleman. When I still solo camped I'd use a Trangia 27.

Tests like this have a lot of variables, flame spread of stove, width of pan, lid used etc; mostly they give a good indication rather than write anything in stone so to speak.

Nice try though and thanks for sharing.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
It's true that I would never consider cooking anything without a lid below zero a viable way of going about getting some scoff on... the only problem was that the only vessel I had three of were lid-less mess tins, and I wanted to have a different tin for each stove so that stove #1 didn't have to work harder than stove #3.

Introducing the different vessels but with the same amount of water would give a more realistic result, but that would introduce another variable and be a test of the complete set-up and not only of the fuel. Still, when we're talking about things like Trangias that come as a complete system (burner, pans, windshield all in one) then maybe it's better to do it this way.

How do you find the Coleman running on paraffin/kero? I've heard the 'Peak 1' was considered the mutts nuts for cold weather, but they don't seem to make it anymore and offer a multi-fuel (unleaded/kero/naptha) one instead. Was thinking of giving it a go, but it'd make a lot more sense to run it off paraffin, seeing as Coleman's fuel is pricey and I drive a diesel.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
How do you find the Coleman running on paraffin/kero? I've heard the 'Peak 1' was considered the mutts nuts for cold weather, but they don't seem to make it anymore and offer a multi-fuel (unleaded/kero/naptha) one instead. Was thinking of giving it a go, but it'd make a lot more sense to run it off paraffin, seeing as Coleman's fuel is pricey and I drive a diesel.

Sounds like the stove you are on about is the old 550b...

images

They are a good stove....

The updated one is called an exponent I think... Pretty much the same thing..

images

They work well on kerosene with the correct generator.. a bit hard to prime though as they have no spirit cup so you have to use bits of hexy block or priming paste...

The good thing about them is they are very quiet when running compared to something like a Primus Omnifuel or Optimus Nova.

HTH

John

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Cheers Johnboy, might give one of those a whirl and see how it does. Will have to check that the parts for using paraffin come with it.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I know from experience that alcohol gel is pants in the cold, no matter what you do with lids and windshields, so you're not wrong there...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Key with meths stove in sub-zero temps is to insulate from the floor and to keep burner and meths warm (in a pocket say) before lighting. Once lit - and if it's well sheltered and some of the generated heat is reflected back onto the burner from a windshield or pot above it- it'll burn nicely - I've had a Swiss Army Trangia working well at -14C. The little Trangia/alcohol sets like the Trangia 28, or similar, terd to leave theburner pretty exposed to ambient air - theTrangia 25/27 sets, and others like the Optimus 81, (and even the Trangia Swiss Army set) protect the burner much better, and keep it warmer once going. As has been mentioned above, if at all possible, cover bowl/cup etc with a lid - even a bit of silver foil will do the trick.

At the meet a couple of weeks ago, with temps above zero, I tried out a new addition - a Trangia 27 set with Trangia gas burner and primus gas canister (C250?). THe initial heat output was very poor. Put the canister in a shallow bowl with a bit of warm water (maybe 30C) around it, and flame picked up very nicely! Years ago, it was not unknown for bikers at winter rallies to use their own urine - freshly deposited and still steaming - to get their gas stoves going!

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Will have to try preheating the Trangia burner, keeping it in a pocket as you say or holding it over a candle for a while before lighting might do the trick - unless the wind's up. Maybe some tough silver foil as used in takeaway cartons could act as a reflector and windshield, it's pretty maleable and foldable stuff. Using the pot that came with it with the lid is obviously going to help loads too. I should test it that way but unfortunately all our cold weather has gone from this corner of the country and we have rain instead of snow!

I'll hold off wazzing onto my stove for a while yet - I generally pop the stove inside the pans to keep it all compact, not sure I'd want that particular flavour on my next outing, and that smell plus convection, not nice :p

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Key with meths stove in sub-zero temps is to insulate from the floor and to keep burner and meths warm (in a pocket say) before lighting. Once lit - and if it's well sheltered and some of the generated heat is reflected back onto the burner from a windshield or pot above it- it'll burn nicely - I've had a Swiss Army Trangia working well at -14C. The little Trangia/alcohol sets like the Trangia 28, or similar, terd to leave theburner pretty exposed to ambient air - theTrangia 25/27 sets, and others like the Optimus 81, (and even the Trangia Swiss Army set) protect the burner much better, and keep it warmer once going. As has been mentioned above, if at all possible, cover bowl/cup etc with a lid - even a bit of silver foil will do the trick.

At the meet a couple of weeks ago, with temps above zero, I tried out a new addition - a Trangia 27 set with Trangia gas burner and primus gas canister (C250?). THe initial heat output was very poor. Put the canister in a shallow bowl with a bit of warm water (maybe 30C) around it, and flame picked up very nicely! Years ago, it was not unknown for bikers at winter rallies to use their own urine - freshly deposited and still steaming - to get their gas stoves going!

Andy it you have the real Trangia gas burner it has a pre heater tube over the burner, you don't need to mess about heating the gas can, just turn it upside down (new cans with isobutane added to the propane/butane are worth getting). As you said the 25/27's are great, the burner is raised off the floor for you, if you can Andy try your set with a stove like the Nova mounted in it for remarkable winter performance, truly stunning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE