Super Shelter.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
These things. She's in Austria.
Hunt-Wild-Boar-Austria-2_zpsom1mlwcq.jpg

Why dont our Boar grow that big? Is it a different species or something?
Very impressive looking animal. Ive yet to taste wild boar. Im assuming its just like any other pork?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Maybe its just that they have had the chance to grow to that size over many generations? Natural selection? So we may see those beasts in the new forest in the future? Cool

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Very impressive looking animal. Ive yet to taste wild boar. Im assuming its just like any other pork?

I've had smaller ones investigating my campsite when I've been sleeping under a tarp, if they don't feel threatened then you should be ok. One of the wife's relatives tells of a chap being chased up a tree by two, they waited underneath for an hour or so and then started to dig up the tree roots to fell the tree so they could get him. The sound of his screaming brought some hunters who saw them off.

They taste fantastic.

:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was tree-ed by a Wild Boar sow in the Ardenne - I got between her and her stripey boarlets - but when I came face to face with one on the Ardeche it was the boar that turned tail and ran!
I have eaten boar in Belgium and in Croatia and it always tastes great :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

They're beginning to get to very large weights over the valley from me in the Dean, quite a few being shot at over 150 kilos these days, some a lot more. Most of what we have here were originally bred for meat and are wild boar crossed with tamworth, but that's a good few generations ago now and the wild boar side will dominate over time. They are superb eating indeed and I haven't eaten pork in many moons; there's just no comparison.

I don't mind them being around at all, but without any shadow of a doubt there's going to be bad things happening here as there are just too many of them, and the majority of people haven't got a clue how to behave around them, or perhaps more to the point how not to behave around them. Dogs have been killed and badly wounded and some people have been injured as well.......it won't be long before something bad happens and the Daily Fail or somesuch turns it into something it needn't be.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I quite like that, a nice wee bailey to keep the wind out and deter animals from investigating the contents when she's not there. Also if she's not a happy bunny being on her own in the woods the walls may give her a sense of safety. It's pretty neatly done, I'd personally prefer a more open camp but in a bad winter it'll be a lot more comfortable and hopefully more fuel efficient.
I think the camouflage comment was more against animals (deer at her feeder) than against humans though it never ceases to amaze me how many folk just don't see stuff when they're out in the woods. Constantly have to make my presence known to folk when I'm in the woods as they just don't see me and I try not to get the reputation as the stalker in the woods.
Don't know if you've seen Felix Immler and his handy work? Called Taschenmesserbuch on YouTube I like his style.
[video=youtube;hlqrrvlLWB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlqrrvlLWB0[/video]

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I don't know any Northern blokes with a gamy foot. ?

Most members here stroll from the car to a bit of woodland and play woodsman (nowt wrong with that), this woman does a lot more than that.

I doubt I could build that shelter, certainly it would take a long time due to my COPD but respect the woman's efforts, perhaps others here should to.

My point, albeit a bit blunt and a tiny amount of tongue in cheek when written, was that you expanded TD's giddy prods at those offering differing opinions to the level of insult in my opinion. All of a sudden we're a group of armchair bushcrafters, incapable of accomplishing what this woman has. The written word isn't that good at getting a sarcastic point across... maybe more emoticons would have helped, but never the less.

If you watch her videos, her camp was built over a long period of time... she cycles in from home, so arguably she's playing at being a woodsman.. which is pretty irrelevant... but she's not living it 24/7 365.

Lilly is far better at firestarting than most (certainly me anyway), she's got a wide range of experiences and been on numerous adventures, some of which are documented on YouTube, but her shelter building isn't the most efficient use of materials. The fact that I, or anyone else, pointing that out doesn't take away from what she's done, but it offers an opinion based on our own experiences. Whether or not she'd care to reply to our opinions isn't really an issue. My own experience is that I build structures all the time as a hobby, from playhouses to walk-in chicken coops to log cabins... all out of timber. I may be cr@p at starting a fire without 'cheating', judging food quantities for my evening meal or recognising plants/fungi... but I know I can build something to kip in.

Anyway, point being, I'm interested in the challenge of building a shelter out of a similar amount of materials and hopefully doing it better so that is what I'll do... its a logical progression from my existing hobby... and when done, I'll post it up and people can express an opinion about whats wrong with it, where I could have done better etc etc... be a laugh. Doubt I brand anyone criticising my attempts as an 'armchair bushcrafter' as I respect that there is a vast amount of knowledge here, something that gets passed on every time we 'stroll from the car into the woods and play woodsman'. :p

Saying all that, just been emailed that local woods owner says no, so I shall have to hunt for a place to build it... doubt my wife would be best chuffed at me building it in the back garden. :rolleyes:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I look forward to seeing you efforts at shelter building, in the mean time how is pitching a parachute in your garden going?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I look forward to seeing you efforts at shelter building, in the mean time how is pitching a parachute in your garden going?

Its been in the car for a couple of weeks now along with rope and carabiner... intention is to take the kids out for a day and show them what I was shown at North Wood... making a sort of tent/shelter, then break out the Kelly Kettle for a brew (hot chocolate for the kids) Can't get the rope high enough in the garden :(

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good for her and thanks for showing us TeeDee. Good effort from that girl, I don't care what she's made it out of, just the fact she's made it and uses it is great goodjob :bigok:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I quite like that, a nice wee bailey to keep the wind out and deter animals from investigating the contents when she's not there. Also if she's not a happy bunny being on her own in the woods the walls may give her a sense of safety. It's pretty neatly done, I'd personally prefer a more open camp but in a bad winter it'll be a lot more comfortable and hopefully more fuel efficient.
I think the camouflage comment was more against animals (deer at her feeder) than against humans though it never ceases to amaze me how many folk just don't see stuff when they're out in the woods. Constantly have to make my presence known to folk when I'm in the woods as they just don't see me and I try not to get the reputation as the stalker in the woods.
Don't know if you've seen Felix Immler and his handy work? Called Taschenmesserbuch on YouTube I like his style.
[video=youtube;hlqrrvlLWB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlqrrvlLWB0[/video]
cheers for that....i now feel like a skiver :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That guy has it well sussed Goatboy. loved his spit roast...awesome.

He's about the only bushcrafter I've subscrbed to on YT. Like watching how he goes about things and even if you don't speak the lingo the way he does it doesn't matter. He also does things like repurpose an old bath into a forest hot tub and make bagpipes out of rubber gloves and a couple of sticks. It was his waterwheel spit roast that got me interested at first though.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pretty well all.his stuff is made with a SAK. He's written a series of books aimed at teaching children about making things in the outdoors. I keep meaning to see if he has English language versions. I do fancy giving the waterwheel spitroast a go sometime. He's kind've a modern day Teutonic Flintstone.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE