Super lightweight camp grill i made today (pic heavy)

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hi for the last 6 months i have been using a thick wire mesh griddle for cooking on. I use it as a dual purpose item as my sleeping bag makes my backpack rounded and uncomfortable so i insert the griddle in between. This keeps it flat and compfy.

Today i mage a bespoke grill using a shelf from work.

Tell me what u all think.

IMAG0647.jpg

IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0648.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0655.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

IMAG0656.jpg

IMAG0657.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah galvanised steel has some nasties in it, I think you can burn it all off with the first burn though.

I'd be tempted to put three times as many holes in it and make it a bit lighter.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Galvanized steel is coated with zinc. Zinc and zinc oxide are relatively volatile, and so it will release fumes easily in a fire. These fumes are toxic. However, greater hazards also exist. Most zinc contains a significant impurity of lead, and if this oxidizes, the food may be contaminated with this toxic element. More seriously, some steel parts intended for outdoor use (car and boat parts especially) used to be plated with cadmium instead of zinc. Cadmium is also volatile, but is MUCH more toxic than zinc. It is also a cumulative poison, like lead, and unlike zinc, so consuming even small amounts over a long period of time can lead to serious illness. COPIED FROM SOME WHERE ELSE!!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahaha anything complicated and scientific I once knew has been bludgeoned out by repeatedly watching Monty Python sketches and etching the lines onto the very fabric of my mind!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Good idea there.

As has been said, i would seriously reconsider using it though.You dont want to be inhaling the fumes off it.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hey guys i just want to say a big thanks for the heads up! i didnt realise the potential harm i could have done to myself and more importantly my friends.

Thank allah for the internet. My dad was going to use a piece for the free standing stove we have, as a surround to the chimney. I dread to think the fumes coming off it as that baby pumped out 400 degrees C

He didnt know either and hes been a builder for the last 34 years.

I managed to salvage an even better shelf which looks ok. Its thicker steel so i could get more holes into it and also make a larger hole the shape of CRUX metal mug.

Will Post a V2 model soon...

Thanks again!

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Nice one, looks good mate, shame about being a wee bit poisonous.

thanks, this sort of thing makes me realise how dangerous a house fire would be, imagine an entire house-worth of toxic fumes being released.

Its funny i was researching this Zinc toxic thingy problem and cam across a brilliant response on another forum, i will post it below

"I'm getting old, Jeff, but within my lifetime it was considered medically essential that water never be put on a burn, only butter and other oils. And I can remember when manufacturers of breakfast cereal were, for years, lambasted by media and Congress for subverting our children into a habit of eating the "empty calories" of whole grain and fiber instead of wholesome protein like bacon and eggs and liver. Diet A is labeled worthless and diet B a healthful life style, then the positions reversed, back and forth, almost every other month. Where are we with female replacement hormones -- good or bad? It's changed at least 3 times in 6 months. After half a lifetime of intensive study, is aluminum linked to Alzheimer's or not? Sorry, still debatable. Mammograms good or bad, an alcoholic drink a day good or bad, coffee good or bad, milk good or bad, plastic butcher blocks an important replacement for cracked wood surfaces or an oleophillic surface that guarantees contamination?

We are a paranoid society which places far too much belief in the sketchiest of theories as long as they're scary (Toxic Timebomb in Your Kitchen! - News at 11); they are all instantly accepted and rarely demonstrated. If we can't decide whether carefully monitored things that are ingested daily are good or bad for us, shall we honestly worry about very casual exposure to heated zinc?

What shall we make things of? Better not use aluminum! Steer clear of nickel! Don't use zinc! Copper and silver are powerful biocides that must be avoided. Rusty bare steel, forget it! Chrome? Don't be crazy. Concrete? Silicosis. Wood? Harbors bacteria. Vinyl? Carcinogenic vapors. Asbestos? Get real. Is cobalt safer than nickel? Probably until diets A and B reverse places.

We need to watch the biggies which it is hard to argue the dangers of: mercury, lead, and cadmium. And keep our eyes open for a fourth baddie, and then a fifth. But our government throws money at beltway bandit researchers (campaign contributors) who have been on the road of diminishing returns for decades, looking harder and harder for the slimmest of possible risks to scare us and extend their grants; our politicians make hay "protecting" us from the specter of toxic hobgoblins; and the TV networks keep us watching by warnings of impending calamity. Only an opinion."

http://www.finishing.com/217/03.shtml

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Nicely put!
Its one of those things though isnt it, if you dont know, you dont know!I dread to think the c**p ive inhaled in my lifetime.Still...better safe than sorry eh.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's my (very badly photographed) lightweight grill setup:

On the left is a microwave grill with the legs cut down and bent slightly outwards. On the right are some aluminium poles cut to 30cm, 20cm and 10cm lengths (so I can set the grill at different heights above a fire or a stove)
5704371547_bfa66f5445_z.jpg

Grill underside to show leg length - I'm going to get some narrow diameter plastic tubing to cover the legs when it is in transit, to stop them catching.
5704371989_6ea5ece76a_z.jpg

Set up with longest set of legs. The legs aren't equally spaced around the grill, but it is pretty stable and simplicity itself to set up. I also made sure that the legs are of sufficient diameter that I can insert a straightened tent peg into them if I needed to fix them into the ground securely.
5704372491_7198064604_z.jpg

The Aldi non-stick cookset fits on it very nicely. The grill packs down to almost nothing when disassembled, and is very light. Can't wait to give it a field test.
5704940156_d97a734be4_z.jpg

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Nicely put!
Its one of those things though isnt it, if you dont know, you dont know!I dread to think the c**p ive inhaled in my lifetime.Still...better safe than sorry eh.

as you say that i cant help thinking of my father..

He has been a joiner since he was 16, he has never smoked, never drank more than a beer or two a week and got lympoma in his neck glands a few years ago.
The only reason i can see is the constant inhalation of particles of: fibreglass, asbestos, sawdust, metal particles and all the usual stuff floating around his workspace.

In true testiment to the man he had the tumour removed in york hospital and within 12 hours came home alone on the train with 22 staples holding his neck together.
He doesnt like hospitals,

Anyway sorry for that...

The way i see it its not worth the risk...

Cheers for the nice words

T

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Great setup harvestman!

What size is the main component?

as i said before i need my setup to use as a back support for my bag. Therefore it needs to be a rectangle and quite sturdy.

I learnt the hard way trying to carry a bag with a super compressed sleeping bad making my main backpack compartment rounded and very painfull over long distances.

I love the idea of different sized legs! i might modify the tent pegs that came with my DDXL Tarp so i can use them with my grill.

On a 1 nighter me and sam have been through 30 sausages, 2 packs of bacon and 10 pittas so size must be good for us both to cook at the same time

T

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi HT. My setup is 11 inches/28cm across and 2 inches/5cm deep, not counting the pan set. You could get a biggish frying pan on it without much trouble.

It is really only for group camping, where I need more than a solo set, but I still wanted to be able to carry it a good distance in a rucksack. The grill was a salvage from our old microwave, and the poles are from B&Q, cost about £4 each, and needed 2 for the full set of leg lengths. Three spare tent pegs completes the kit.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hi HT. My setup is 11 inches/28cm across and 2 inches/5cm deep, not counting the pan set. You could get a biggish frying pan on it without much trouble.

It is really only for group camping, where I need more than a solo set, but I still wanted to be able to carry it a good distance in a rucksack. The grill was a salvage from our old microwave, and the poles are from B&Q, cost about £4 each, and needed 2 for the full set of leg lengths. Three spare tent pegs completes the kit.

Cheers for the info.

I like the idea of microwave salvage, very thrifty.

im always on the lookout for materials for use as useful objects, my current achivements are:

Waterbottle made out of duct tape ( was 95% watertight!) Was fun making though (no pic sry!)

Camo tomahawk cover out of sleeve of unused jacket
IMAG0639.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

Camo rig line with hanging DPM sections from rest of jacket. (on top of my poncho/tarp setup not very visible\0
IMAG0638.jpg

Duct tape tomahawk sheath

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

Anyone got any other ideas for 2nd uses of mudane items i would be very grateful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE