Super Glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is this the same stuff that the pound stores sell on cards of twelve little tubes for £1? And are you using it like butterfly plasters?, not directly into a gash or a tear?
Toddy

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
I buy 3 for NZ$ 2-00 !

I have a medical friend, who says the difference between the medical and the " junk ', is academic.
I have used the "junk" since +-1983, and I am still alive!
If you are dubious, use the medical only... NZ$ 85-00 for 5 grams... I think not!
Long term affects, we will have to see...

I DO try to avoid going into the wound, and yes, it sometimes stings!

I don't know if you guys have jinxed me or something, but I managed to cut myself beautifully this morning. I was using my new Hook Knife to carve a spoon when the blade slipped and cut a lovely c shaped gash into my Thumb. It didn't start bleeding for a few seconds, so I had plenty of time to look at all the exposed fat and bone. When it did start bleeding I was like the proverbial Stuck Pig.
I quickly pressed a piece of tissue paper onto the wound to hold the flap of skin down and to stop the bleeding. Then I remembered this forum, so I used an unopened tube of regular Super Glue I had in the junk Draw and set about fixing myself. (You definately have to make sure the bleeding has stopped or reduced significantly before trying this procedure).
I closed up the gash with a sterile swab and allowed it to dry. Then I applied a thin coat of Super glue over the closed edges of the wound, allowing it to overlap by about 6mm each side of cut. Once this first layer had dried I applied another coat. There was no noticeable heat produced, and I didn't experience any stinging, but I was very carefull to not allow any glue into the wound opening itself.
After about 10 minutes the wound was completely closed, and the small amount of blood that escaped from the edges had hardened with the Glue into a scab. Job done the Glue definately seems to do the trick.

So far I feel fine, but If I croak from this I will come back and haunt you all. :yikes:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
hmmm, looks like you might have missed an important part of Zambesi's message :?: :?:

zambezi said:
Snipped useful stuff

They should not be used on joints, hands, feet, lips, mucosa, infected wounds, puncture wounds, bite wounds, or stellate wounds.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I,ve stuck fillings back in with it,saves waiting weeks to get to see my dentist. :naughty:

I remember reading years ago about a guy that did all his own dentistry using superglue,he had a conspiracy theory that the metal fillings they put in were used by the government to keep tabs on people as some sort of tracking device.

Also back in the early 80s,a guy who had used superglue on the tips of his spikey hair do went for unfair dismissal after the company he worked for said he was a health hazard to other workers,they said that his hair was so hard that he could impale someone if he took a header. :shock:

J

juliandavid

Boxers used to use a similar substance on their cuts, [in mid-fight] 40 years ago, until it was realised the havoc this was causing to the later wound healing... especially on eyebrows.
If you have the time, and co-ordination, to frig around with a tube of this stuff, then you can do something sensible instead.

If you have just injured yourself, then you must stop the bleeding, by sustained pressure, and secure the wound in a sensible manner. There are plenty of places that tell you how to do this. Best then to rest it for an hour or so till shock has passed off, and coagulation has dealt with the blood-flow.. You can then deal with the wound by taping it closed with a few lengths of elastoplast.. Before bandaging. If you are competent and confident, then this, with antiseptic treatment, may be enough.. Otherwise you may need more skilled help later. A wound may take weeks to heal, and the body may have to replace layers of skin, and maybe more, in the process. |Having lumps of plastic stuck in the way is not sensible. It will need dressing every few days, and if you are lucky, the resulting scar may be slight..

You have to deal with bleeding, shock, and damaged parts. Competently. I once lost a friend, from shock after he was struck by a passing vehicle wing mirror, and he was 14 years old, and in good health.. Last week I took the end off my finger in an electric plane... That was painful, bloody, and I am waiting to see just how much tissue regrowth I will get... In all my years of doing silly things, I cant recall one instance where superglue would have been less than rediculous...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE