Sunday Spoonage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
First time out in the workshop for a couple of weeks yesterday, worked up another cooking spoon in seasoned Beech, spoon is 24cm long, with an off the knife finish.

569 (2) by Mark Emery, on Flickr

569 (1) by Mark Emery, on Flickr

569 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Someone asked ages ago how i carve the octagonal handles, simple start with a square and take the corners off, short instagram video of me carving the handle on this spoon here for anyone who might be interested, excuse the huffing and puffing, got a slight head cold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuRblUYA7Zn/

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I’m currently shopping for spoon making tools and it’s just a bit confusing.

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees”

Don't need anything overly expensive, you can something as simple as a Mora Basic Woodcarving knife and a Mora 164 spoon knife and be away, the 164 does need a bit of work doing to it to make it serviceable, but nothing hard or labour extensive to do, or you can spend a bit more and go bespoke, my bespoke tools are made by Ben Orford & Nic Westerman, not cheap but worth every penny, Dave Budd of this parish also makes some excellent spoon carving tools, i've not used any of Daves spoon knives, but based on the other tools i have from him the quality is bound to be excellent.

I also use a the Mora's mentioned above on a regular basis too, in the video i link to on my Instagram above, im using the £10.00 Mora basic Woodcarving knife to carve the handle of this spoon.

A small folding saw is good for making stop cuts and a small hatchet for roughing out, that being said, i also use a coping saw for roughing out blanks from flat boards, there is no right and wrong way, if it works for you, its right, just dont be put off by the armchair experts and normal protagonists.

Out of interest Mora are bringing out/have bought out revised spoon carving tools, like the 164, i haven't seen one yet, but by all accounts they have rectified the problems with the 162, 163 & 164 that everyone has been moaning about for years.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Spoon carved using nothing more than a Mora Basic and a modified 164 - bar the initial roughing out, which was probably done using my £5.00 car boot hatchet, cant remember

27072318_1664737513547294_2508364184333258007_n by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Thanks so much :). Not wishing to derail your thread.
Nick’s website has a waiting list of over a year. It can’t be an easy choice to have to strictly control new orders via a password operated ordering system but the estimated delay between ordering and receiving (15mths) put me off.

I left a message on Ben’s answering machine the other day and await a call from him.

Mora appear to have crossed the business vs output upscaling bridge some time ago but i’m really keen to give my support to anyone who is living their dream on a small-scale basis, so i’ll wait for Ben or give him another call.

If not, starting off with Mora wouldn’t exactly be a hardship, it’s just that I don’t feel a personal connection with them.

The world is about to have a lot more spoons. I never saw this hobby coming ;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Crooked knives of all sizes and shapes are the standard wood carving tools found in the Pacific Northwest First Nations communities.
As you can imagine then, the best bladesmiths are found in the Pacific Northwest.
As a means to an end, you can buy a wide selection of blades from Kestrel too and haft them yourself in traditional designs.
If you can tie shoe laces, you are over qualified.

http://kestreltool.com/index.html

I'm sorry. I botched that. I wanted to say that Kepis shows you the curve of the blade that's useful and that there are other bladesmiths with shorter waiting lists.

Attachments

• HaidaA.JPG
    HaidaA.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE