Sunburn and Prevention

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
We're just back from a fabulous weekend camping at Comrie with friends :cool:

The weather really caught us out- glorious sunshine!!!

I had sunscreen from last year in my FAK for the kids, it must have still be ok as they are the only ones that didnt get burned.

It got me thinking though, is there anything natural apart from clothing as protection that can be made into effective sunscreen? :confused:

Are there any plants or wild substances that can be utilised?

Cheers
Ness :)

Hi Ness,

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier and was going to post about it seeing as I have turned a wee bit red. :eek:

In addition to what you are asking, are there any natural things that can be used after you have been burnt as well.

Sorry to hijack, but thought the two would go well together. :)

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Is the Sea buckthorn for before or after mark?
And how do you prepare it?

For after all i can think of is Aloe Vera, not available in the wild, but it has taken over in my house!

Ness :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At this time of year the chickweed is out. Take a couple of strands and crush and roll them in the palm of your hands to release the juice. It makes a mess of you when rubbed on but it does help, and it helps after you've burnt too. If you can get hold of houseleek that makes a brilliant skin soother, and to keep the inflammation down a bit make a wash from meadowsweet or drink a little willowfine tea.

Loads of things help, but the mud's the only one that actually helps stop you getting burnt.
Be interesting to hear what other people use :)

cheers,
Toddy.....fair skinned, green eyed, freckled and sunburnt :eek: Scot
Oh well at least the Vitamin D's not a concern :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE