Sun Tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Hi All
Sorry for not posting in a long while; life and work have been a bear lately.
Anyway I thought I would share my favorite summer drink, Sun Tea. It is tea brewwed by the sun. Heres how you make it:

Get one 1/2 gallon clear plastic jug (I use a left over lemonade jug cleaned)

Fill with water

Put in six or so tea bags of your favorite brand

Set jug with water and tea bags on your porch,and let the sun do it's work. After 2 hours or when the tea is dark to your liking, remove tea bags and chill. (I suspend the tea bags so the string hangs out of the mouth of the jug, to make getting the tea bags out easier.

I think you will find Sun Tea alot smoother than hot water brewwed tea. It lacks
the bitter aftertaste. Give it a try, I think you will like it as much as I do. I look forward to hearring what the experts think.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thats an interesting idea. What type of tea do you use? Ceylon tea is used in iced teas as it doesn't go cloudy, the liqour is nice and clear.

I often make tea up and let it cool down but it can take a while.

When the sun reappers I'll definately give this a whirl :approve: :thanks:

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Hi Scruff,
I have used many kinds of teas with this method. If I see an intresting blend on sale I try it. The batch I have now is made from a blend of orange and black pekoe, that I got at the dollar store, worked great.
You can also make tour own tea bags if you have loose tea, just put some tea in a coffee filter and tie with clean cotton string. :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I probably shouldn't say this because hey, most of you guys are ahem..BRITISH and everyone knows you love your tea. (Wow, that's a stereotype if I ever saw one!) Anyway, I figured I'd throw in a favourite anti-tea quote of mine as I am an absolutely fanatical coffee drinker. Feel free to shoot me for this one:

"Tea is flat, soft, time wasting opium of the masses."

Strangely enough, that came from Ian Fleming. :) LOL

Cheers,

Adam

PS: In all seriousness, I might just try making sun tea today, the weather's beautiful here this morning.

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
addyb said:
I probably shouldn't say this because hey, most of you guys are ahem..BRITISH and everyone knows you love your tea. (Wow, that's a stereotype if I ever saw one!) Anyway, I figured I'd throw in a favourite anti-tea quote of mine as I am an absolutely fanatical coffee drinker. Feel free to shoot me for this one:

"Tea is flat, soft, time wasting opium of the masses."

Strangely enough, that came from Ian Fleming. :) LOL

Cheers,

Adam

PS: In all seriousness, I might just try making sun tea today, the weather's beautiful here this morning.
LOL :lmao:
You dont really need a super sunny day to make Sun Tea. it was overcast and rainy here this past weekend and the Sun Tea still turned out fine, just took a while longer to "brew"

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
BANG, addyb...............concider yourself shot ;) .
Tea is probably more a drink of the English, not the British... I bet my socks I'm going to get shot down myself for saying this!
Ian Flemming, wasnt he a Scot?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE