Suitable Boots for Rainforest use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the Altberg jungle microlight III is about the best jungle boot I have come across so far. they are far more comfortable that the military issue boot which is about the only other choice.

unfortunately even the altbergs leave a lot to be desired, the sole design does not really provided enough traction on muddy slopes and the mesh vents fall apart fairly quickly though the rest of the boot is robust.

I am so fed up with currently available jungle boots that I have designed my own jungle boots and hope to have them made by the end of May

I'll post pictures of them when they are done

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Don't know the Altbergs at all but heard good things about their other boots - be very interested to see you're design when they're made up Stuart.

I used to use boots made by an American manufacturer - Rocky, I never had any problems with them though some people reckoned that they were quite narrow fitting.

How prolonged is prolonged? You'll be lucky to find any boot that will last for more than six months if you're using them everyday and trekking in wet forest.

The military ones were intended to be effectively "disposable" and I've seen them trashed in less than a month.

George

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ditch Monkey said:
a prolonged stay.

As Stuart says a lot of jungle boots leave a lot to be desired, I'm lucky in that my feet fit into military ones quite comfy so I'd use those...they do fall apart eventually as everything does in the jungle but there's no getting round that on a prolonged stay.

So if it's a really prolonged stay then you'll just have to go native....see what they are wearing and do likewise! (most likely rattan sandles or barefoot! :yikes: ) lol

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Never been to the jungle but the following maybe of interest to you:

In a short column in a Dutch biology magazin, a Dutch field biologist working in Borneo (Menno schilthuizen) describes his jungle footwear. When he started his first day trek in the jungle he looked warily at the 1 euro plastic fake adidas soccer shoes of his Bornean assistants and was very confident that his mountain boots with profiled sole were superior to their footwear ("kampong adidas" he calls them).
After only 3 miles he was convinced that his assistants were better equipped. His own expensive shoes had sucked up all the sweat, blood and humidity he produced and wouldn't be dry again for the forthcoming weeks. His sole profile filled up with soil after the first step he took and he was forced to walk with a big lump of clay on each foot, sliding & falling down each slope they encountered. His students on the other hand had no problem with the clay or humidity. The shoes gave them enough traction on the muddy slopes and when they arrived at base camp the kampong adidas were washed in seconds, clean & ready for the next trip...
The only downside is that he couldn't find any kampong adidas in his size (european size 46…) and that they were low, not protecting the ankles.

Tom

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Like Bam, my feet fit the military ones and I had no problems with them when I went to the jungle but a few others found them uncomfortable. Stuart, I wait with interest to see your design come to fruition.

Brian

Stuart said:
the Altberg jungle microlight III is about the best jungle boot I have come across so far. they are far more comfortable that the military issue boot which is about the only other choice.

unfortunately even the altbergs leave a lot to be desired, the sole design does not really provided enough traction on muddy slopes and the mesh vents fall apart fairly quickly though the rest of the boot is robust.

I am so fed up with currently available jungle boots that I have designed my own jungle boots and hope to have them made by the end of May

I'll post pictures of them when they are done

Is this a design for your own personal use or will you be marketing them?

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Before I went to the Rain forest to work I loked at several types of Boot, in the end I decide to just take my old boots as the were fitted me so well as seen lots of service. As I knew I would most likely be throwing boots out after trip thought I would save money.

My boots were fabric type trekking boots, water proof. Work everyday for 6 weeks in them, they still giong strong back home a year later. I took slip on saddles for river crossings as we had several a day carried boots over shoulder. Your feet get wet however no matter what you.

I dont recommend water proof sock as they really kill your feet in jungle (same may disagree)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
here are my altberg microlites after 6 months in the jungle (spread over three trips 2 in Borneo and 1 in reunion) they seem to hold togeather better than the issue boots

ventfailure.jpg

the stitching has gone in many places though miraculously the boot is still holding together

the vents disintegrate very quickly (this is the second set fitted to this boot)

the tread on the sole is now half as deep as when new and well rounded, so the poor traction in mud they originally offered is now non existent, much to the amusement of the locals!

they are very comfortable though and I have trekked a great many kilometers in them though the jungle with no foot problems what so ever.

kampong adidas are in use by most of the people of the interior of Borneo, they are basically an adidas football boot moulded out of a single piece of rubber, they give great traction due to the studs but there rubber construction means that you need feet tough enough to walk barefoot to be able to wear them without losing skin even, if you can find them in your size (you'll have to have little feet)

I'll get pictures up of my design as soon as they are finished, I have all the hardware and materials I am just waiting for the sole unit to be finished so I can get them made.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
When I was in Berlize we were told to use a little gun oil on the metal parts of the jungle boots (eye lets and drain holes) each time we cleaned our rifles (which is a hell of a lot if you don't want them to rust too!) to help reduce rusting and it seemed to help prolong the boots life.

We were also advised to use some sort of leather cream on the leather parts daily to help reduce the drying and cracking as they dried (not to help waterproofing as they aren't waterproof, aren't meant to be and wouldn't work if they were).

As with all things if you don't look after your kit then it falls apart and it does so very very quickly in the jungle, in military life you learn to do this as second nature but as a civvie it's easy to leave it till later, leave it till later, leave it till later....oh, it's knackered now anyway! lol :D

Hope that helps,

Reactions: 1 person

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive got 2 pairs of Altberg's the Desert and the Jungle and as Stu says thay are a quality hand made boot. As Bam says the jungle ones need to be looked after very carefully in the Jungle as with all your kit, as anyone who has been to any jungle environment will tell you, I consider boots to be one of the most important bits of kit you can have as they protect the things that get you in and get you out, if your boots are left to rot inevitably your feet will follow.
I use Nikwax waterproofing on my boots which i apply by warming gently on a stove till it liqufys (carefully keep the lid to hand and do this slowly as it can catch fire if you heat it to quickly) then i apply it to the leather taking care to fully soak the stiching well,this can be helped by the use of the other halfs hair dryer (dont tell her i told you to use it eh :rolleyes: ) if you dont do this the jungle mud will soon get in and abrade and rot the stitching as you can see on Stu's boots, it also goes for the vents a light rub with the dressing will help keep these in good order also.
The Army provide boot care kits for good reason, its worth taking a small tin of dressing and while you sit in your shelter of an evening tend to your boots, you never know when you will need to do a runner form a jungle beastie and you dont want your boots falling apart on you do you eh ;)

Reactions: 1 person

leon-1

I can't comment on the Altbergs as I have never used them, I do know thier reputation from friends (for jungle, desert, field & fell and defenders) and they are supposed to be very good.

The standard jungle boot (the American ones) isn't the most comfy of things, but they do a job and they do it reasonably well.

The major thing is that the boot will allow your feet to breath and also allow water (which will inevitably get in) to get out when they get wet. As the other guys have said look after the boots whatever they are and you should be okay. Powder your feet of an evening and wear fresh dry socks for your night routine and have a set of trainers or Teva's that will allow you to air your feet when you are in your camp of an evening.

If your feet are constantly wet you will end up with trench / immersion foot and it is a rather painfull experience that you will not want to experience,

All the best:)

M

Millbilly

Some cracking info there guys, particularly from Paganwolf and Bambodoggy! :) Rep point me thinks.....

Millbilly

Thank's guys, if I'm going to look after my kit it looks as though I'm going to have to get some self disciplin from somewhere; do ebay sell it?

I had been thinking of getting Lowa Combats, will rethink that one and try on the various suggestions. I'm going to be blogging from the jungle so, if such things interest you, you can keep track of how my kit holds out. Talking of which, any ideas on how sorbathane holds out?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Sounds like you're going to have fun over there Ditch :)

I've used sorbathane insoles in combat boots in temperate areas and they are very very good, however, I'm not sure they'd be ideal for jungle use...they may end up waterlogged and fall apart...I can't say they will as I haven't used them over there but that would be my worry, certainly they won't dry out overnight so you'll have damp feet a lot. What may be a bit better (although plenty of people hate them ;) ) are the army issue nylon webbing type insoles, these won't rot and won't hold water and will dry pretty fast, they also allow air to circulate a little better round your foot.

I'd definately say the Lowa combat boots are a big no-no for jungle use, they are too think and too waterproof (which isn't helpful in the jungle) and not breathable enough. A fantastic boot for the mountains and temperate zones but not for jungle use.
As Leon says you really don't want your feet permanantly wet or you may end up with immersion foot.

Hope that helps and have a smashing time mate :)

Cheers,

BOD

I use a pair of Altama jungle boots with Panama soles and they are well made with good grip on log and pole bridges. They can be bought from Silverman’s’ (a great mail order service too if you can’t get to them).

However there is a slightly modified Thai version of the Panama sole in which the cleats / lugs around the sole stick out slightly more than the US version. The boots are not as well made, as Altamas but the traction when traversing slopes and in mud is superior. Having gone straight from one to the other I think I can say that with some certainty. I suspect the Altama difference is so that the boot would be more popular around the concrete and tarmac of military bases. The Thai grip is almost as good as Adidas Kampong shoes.

A British study was done not so long ago in Borneo comparing jungle boots with hiking/trekking boots. Only 1 person wearing jungle boots developed foot problems (and only a mild case) while many of the leather Gore-Tex group developed warm water immersion foot.

If you are going in to deep jungle for an extended period with no access to nearby settlements you must have jungle boots

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
As the other’s have stated Jungle Boot’s
High Top’s –no debris getting in .No critter’s biting you ankles. :) No water bucket’s ,good traction, with Panama soles No mud build up! Dries a lot faster. Cooler than Leather boot’s. Lighter weight. No sole separation from rotted stitching or your heels getting sucked off buy the glue like mud. :eek: :lmao: :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE