Suggestions for an rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've tried searching on here but haven't found much. Earlier this year I bought a rubberized canvas swiss pack that I thought was the bees knees, but after getting it home and trying to pack it I discovered it's too small for my purposes and winter is coming on which means more gear. Maybe good as a day pack. Anyway looking for something bigger, I'm thinking 70-90L.

Perusing my local Army/Navy store I found the Fox Advanced Mountaineering Pack. At first I just thought it was another cheap-o bag, but I saw how the whole front of it unzips to allow access to gear at the bottom of the pack, etc. I really liked that.

I also really like the idea of being modular, something like the Snugpak Rocket Pak. I like being able to make it smaller for shorter trips.

And I was trying to find something with both of these features in a larger bag. The only thing I could find is the Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100, but these are pretty pricey and they seem to be not very common in North America. Can anyone make a suggestion about a similar pack that might be a little better priced and also more available in North America?

Thanks!
H

rg598

Native
If you are going to carry such a large volume of gear, make sure you get a pack that is designed to handle it. Cheap packs with poorly designed frames are fine when we are talking about 30L, but when we are dealing with 80L, the pack has to carry the weight properly. My personal choice would be a Gregory pack. I have the Gregory Palisade 80. If you want to save money you can also look for a used Arcteryx Bora. If you want modularity and still want to carry your gear without damage to your back, spend the money for a Kifary Duplex frame with whatever options you like.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
My old Karrimor JB is 70lt and to be honest the only time I've had that full is on multi day winter/alpine climbing trips. I've resisted all attempts and suggestions that I replace it over the years, but now that it's started falling apart the decision was made for me, finding a replacement wasn't easy. In the end I opted for a smaller sack, 45lt.

Sounds small but as I don't envisage I'll be embarking on many more multi day climbing adventures. When I was off climbing I carried surprisingly little once the climbing gear was factored out so I'll actually have more space sans the climbing clobber with the smaller sack, for extra creature comforts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE