Suggestions for an 18th knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
Hi guys,

So long story short, it's not without excitement I can say I'm turning 18 in 5 days time (the 18th), and upon my parents asking whether there was anything I wanted for this fairly landmark birthday, I said a bushcraft knife.

Obviously, knives can be insanely expensive, and I really don't want to ask that much of them (my parents), so I've been looking at the cheaper end of nice bushcraft blades that can last me for most of my adult life.

So far, the TBS bushcraft boar in curly birch has really caught my eye, but I thought I would ask you guys on the forum if there were other knives I should be thinking about. If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it, and likewise if you have any insight about the TBS boar.

For a bit of background, I currently have a mora companion and a cheap bushcraft folder, I prefer scandi grinds if possible and carbon steel as I don't mind looking after the blades and I live a while from the sea. Sheathwise, the more mounting options the better, and a loop for a firesteel is ideal.

Thanks in advance guys :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
If you like your Mora, get in touch with Mark Hill (Hillbill on this forum) and he'll make you an excellent full tang version of a Mora.

After years of searchingfor the perfect knife for me, I received mine and stopped looking.

Cheers, Michael.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I just got a Helle Temagami as a birthday present, recommended!

helle_temagami.jpg

-Zen-

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
I have an ESEE 6 and it is a stunning knife. It's a little on the large side but it's coated carbon steel, comes with a lifetime warranty and the kydex sheath is bombproof and easily customised. As you asked for a bushcraft knife this might not be what you're after in terms of looks but nonetheless it is a fantastic knife. I've had mine by my side for an age and I haven't looked elsewhere since. Only thing is the price - probably at the top end of your budget but worth it if your parents can stretch to it.

jius

Apr 12, 2015
All Over
Becker BK2 (or BK16 if your after something a little lighter), great knives - great price!!! Real workhorse solid knives some of best in range, cheaper than an Esee 6 but similar size range. If you don't want something that expensive Mora make some great knives for bushcraft - but you have already discovered that gem, so perhaps something a bit chunkier!

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I brought a Gary mills timber wolf and made the handle (shaped and attached the scales really, nothing too taxing) and it's the best knife I have ever owned, it will do anything from making a teaspoon to batoning through logs :) highly recommend

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE