Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have still got the remainder of the venison in the freezer, its been there nearly 2 years now , what do you want me to do with it?

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Just a thought people (mainly Stu). I am forever digging up saplings when I am tidying peoples gardens and throwing them with the rest of the garden waste. Thinking of the future, short term for re supplying wood for carving (well sort of short term) and it means if people want green wood was cooking skewers/pot hangers or crafts it will not be detrimental to the woods and what falls to go on the fire and long term, the regeneration of the woodland. I can pot them till the next meet and bring them with me. I throw away tons of Ash and Sycamore.It also means we can grow hazels that we can use for fencing and other crafts which won't deteriorate the woodland?. Maybe plant some clematis for basket making? Obviously Stu you will need to speak to Mr Land owner but I cant see why he would have a problem with us increasing the density of his woodland?

Let me know what you think?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just a thought people (mainly Stu). I am forever digging up saplings when I am tidying peoples gardens and throwing them with the rest of the garden waste. Thinking of the future, short term for re supplying wood for carving (well sort of short term) and it means if people want green wood was cooking skewers/pot hangers or crafts it will not be detrimental to the woods and what falls to go on the fire and long term, the regeneration of the woodland. I can pot them till the next meet and bring them with me. I throw away tons of Ash and Sycamore.It also means we can grow hazels that we can use for fencing and other crafts which won't deteriorate the woodland?. Maybe plant some clematis for basket making? Obviously Stu you will need to speak to Mr Land owner but I cant see why he would have a problem with us increasing the density of his woodland?

Let me know what you think?

I can see no problem with planting them in the woods, it will all help with the regeneration of it, so yeah it would be good to put something back, we are beginning to plant some other plants that are native, the first is Ransom's (I have the landowners permission for it), also bearing in mind that the woods have just had a lot of trees taken down....... for fire wood harvesting.

As far as the taking Green Wood is it is simply that some people just don't take what is needed for the job,

Skewers are just a small straight sapling or new growth, you'll find people will take the whole branch because the one they want is too high to get, ok if only done from time to time, I normally carry a metal one from the BBQ or the bamboo ones, not much weight and takes no room up in your pack. At one meet we had a guy insist on a new green stick skewer for everything he cooked....again a lot of thin shoots where used...

Pot Hangers... these can be built with old wood, I have done it myself loads of times.... most of the time I don't see the need for them... again large amount of the wood is wasted and left.... after taking a few feet the right size or shape.

Pegs... this is the same as above really... no need to make pegs just bring a couple with you.

Crafts... this normally takes out a large branch, again a lot of it is wasted.... I know that people will/do bring in green wood from garden works ect. ect. I have seen a person dragging back to the group area a 2 1/2" trunk then cut the bottom 10" off split it and carve one spoon, when I asked where he got it from... it was dead at the top, but found it was green after I had cut it down...was the answer I walked over to the place where there was a large pile of leaves and branches, and a nice clean cut stump.....

Camp Gadgets.. these can be made, I use as much old wood as possible, but I have seen one person cut three new saplings at a number of meets until I said something, just for a rucksack Tripod..

I will still be keeping the No Green Wood Cutting rule, the main reason is what I have stated above, people seem to always take the whole branch, and waste what's left.... I can recall one meet where 15 or so white dots about 2" diameter were seen after the meeting... yes they where all cut branches... all we can see was made was a lot of dis- guarded wood lying around, and a few pegs left to rot away...

What we have to think is just one person taking wood on an occasional visit does not harm... but a regular removal of green wood by a group of people can have an effect.. also you find that people when they can cut green wood, will always like to take some home... again this will make it worse, I have put the rules in place that we have for a reason, from experience...

The examples I have mentioned above where not just newbies with no experience, but people that have had a great deal of experience in bushcraft/wild camping,

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE