Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
She's Rottweiler/German Shepard, cross, 3/4 Rotty...1/4 GSD, she's six weeks at the mo, I pick her up on the 20th Nov , it may mean that over winter I cant stay every night at a meet, till she is a bit bigger

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Without boring you all with all the details, my other half is in a hospital in surrey and may not be out for a week so I'm not sure if she will be well enough for me to come out and play :(

I will keep you posted.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone came across a baofeng UV-5R in the woods?? Appear to have dropped mine on the last outing. It's got extended battery pack a big whip antenna on it. Cheers! Ben

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Ben, it was back in May at the Boone challenge wasn't it. Haven't been up to Shadowbush since, and no one has come across it at the usual woods. You'd have to be very lucky to find anything in Shadowbush now.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
That's the one. To be fair it could have been dropped anywhere from the woods to the car park, or even on route to the pub... Bit of a ****ter as I don't think the extended batteries are available any more. Hey ho, I'll have to be more careful with the next one.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone came across a baofeng UV-5R in the woods?? Appear to have dropped mine on the last outing. It's got extended battery pack a big whip antenna on it. Cheers! Ben

Sorry Ben, I didnt even have a clue what one was so I googled it and have to say I didnt even see one of them even when we were all there.

I seem to have spoken too soon again guys! My other half has just gone off in an ambulance to hospital AGAIN! Not sure how my weekend is going to pan out now :(

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Ben , I have not seen it, if We come accross it , will, get it back to you,

Hi Chris, I ve not had time to think much about BUshcraft in the last few months, so still got the old tarp, Hope your wife gets things sorted mate it must be a worry

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I think I have dropped myself in the deep end here!

I wanted some meat to bring to eat saturday night so I went to the butchers and asked if they had a prepared rabbit, he said we do but frozen and quartered. I didnt mind it being frozen but wanted it whole. I asked if he had any squirrel or pigeon and he said no but his mate said he thought they had a frozen squirrel, he again said no they hadn't so I said can I take the rabbit and next time I will call in advance. A third guy then turned up who shoots the squirrels and they told him I wanted one and he also said there was one in the freezer! They then found it and I bought it and I have got home and opened it and I don't think it has been gutted, only skinned with head and feet cut off. Now I may need to gut it myself and I was hoping not to have to do this till I had watched someone or they had watched me while I do it!

urbansurvivor

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2013
East anglai
I think I have dropped myself in the deep end here!

I wanted some meat to bring to eat saturday night so I went to the butchers and asked if they had a prepared rabbit, he said we do but frozen and quartered. I didnt mind it being frozen but wanted it whole. I asked if he had any squirrel or pigeon and he said no but his mate said he thought they had a frozen squirrel, he again said no they hadn't so I said can I take the rabbit and next time I will call in advance. A third guy then turned up who shoots the squirrels and they told him I wanted one and he also said there was one in the freezer! They then found it and I bought it and I have got home and opened it and I don't think it has been gutted, only skinned with head and feet cut off. Now I may need to gut it myself and I was hoping not to have to do this till I had watched someone or they had watched me while I do it!

Hey mate, if that thing has not been gutted soon after its been shot I wouldn't be touching it myself, as soon as the animal is dead you get bacteria build up and if consumed can make you pretty ill. you would most likely be ok but I wouldn't be risking it

The gutting process is easy though mate, you just need to carefully open up the animal stomach, being careful not to open up any of the insides. then everything you can see just needs pulling out, I would have done this before removing the head too as it could mean what ever the squirrel ate last has made its way into the carcass, which again is not healthy for you, but basically if the job is done right you will end up with a hollow animal with only the ribs left as any recognisable part of its insides

try find a vid on youtube of the gutting process for a rabbit, you will be able to see more detail and then can just scale it down for the size of animal you are trying to gut

If you are ever near Lowestoft drop me a PM and il show you how to gut rabbits if you want. I don't do squirrals usually unless im away somewhere and need something for the bbq

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE