Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hey, been a long time!
I really like the idea of following a set of skills throughout the year.
Though I already know I can't make some of the meets, I can do January. Already replied on FB, will look for the thread and add my name there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hey, been a long time!
I really like the idea of following a set of skills throughout the year.
Though I already know I can't make some of the meets, I can do January. Already replied on FB, will look for the thread and add my name there too.

Hi Chris,

Be good to see you again,

Yeah I floundered abit over the last year, with mainating and learnig new skills, so I thought this new year I'll do somthing about so, back to basics.. I like the way Mr Mears book is set out , and of course it will keep me doing it, as its set out, and in seasons,

I will be taking more time outside the group to do it, and also hoping to get some courses under my belt as well, and using the meets to practice skills if I cant do it else where,

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Piccies of bell tent as requested. Sorry for the bandwidth heavyness.
First at the bushcraft show, with the stove going

a77445a779e7655a992d72c1fb1a53ce.jpg

643ce27220199beabdd4f41fe3912b54.jpg

2e4b19cb1e4cfa57fa7123705a561ea1.jpg

These were taken yesterday to show the pegs,(I have replaced some with metal ones), mega hammer (I call it Odin) guy lines, inside the tent and the flue (the black spots near the flue are a stain from the silicone sealant I used when fitting it. It's not pegged our properly, I was showing it to a friend who would have bought it if hos other half hadn't insisted on a sewn in groundsheet.

b9a4b276a7ecdf736f487c0279f7d2dc.jpg

32877efe21d27498e98758bdcf81dd7a.jpg

e03a5cde819c1bc4fe03dd9a37b3c319.jpg

b62812bd5f8330325c73fc9b5ab69368.jpg

272b550699c025ca6d1c60c50cd91b4f.jpg

A siad before some of the larger wooden pegs have split and been replaced by metal pnes, there are several spares. 1 or 2 of the brailing ropes have lost thier wooden backers, but a knot holds them in place just as well. I had this at the last moot, so I know that it holds up well to the rain! Just a little wicked throught he string i. The dutch lacing.

Hope that helps

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi Chris,

Be good to see you again,

Yeah I floundered abit over the last year, with mainating and learnig new skills, so I thought this new year I'll do somthing about so, back to basics.. I like the way Mr Mears book is set out , and of course it will keep me doing it, as its set out, and in seasons,

I will be taking more time outside the group to do it, and also hoping to get some courses under my belt as well, and using the meets to practice skills if I cant do it else where,

I know what you mean, not picked up anything last year... and my skills were slim enough already.

Most of what I'm interested in comes up somewhere in the book. Should be good.

Let me know if you have any courses in mind. I'm thinking these will crop up as 'who can't show the others' in meet conversations.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
The RM book is a great book, had mine for years and keep coming back to it, have been letting eldest cub read bits in it and will use it with him as we go.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Bought new the tent is £300 and the flue adaptor is £35 unfitted. As it's a forum thing I'll say £150 for the lot. That means you can buy the stove to go in it as well for the price of a new tent.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
So following on from the lets start the new year with Mr Mear's Outdoor Survival Handbook, I thought it would be a good to start at the first page....

Introduction done... it looks like I should get out more and do some more walking and get a bit fitter.. now does that sound like a New Years Resolution.. na.. Oh well... will just have to suffer some walking with my pack... and getting out more... thats a hardship.. :)

I think it would be a good idea to share our thoughts and what we have rediscovered and learnt here... and it may well bring up things to do in the monthly meets, back to skill shares, but with every one learning the same things and bringing it together at the same time..

Rremember everyone has skills to share, even if you may be new to bushcraft.. running a skill share helps you to learn new skills and gives you a reason to research them

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
I said I'd try to do a hand drill share. I just need someone to locate some pallet wood for the hearths, I've got drills. I've not had much success recently, but I remember what the guy at the moot said so I can still run one. Those that can't do and all that...

We could always do a no car session if you fancy a bit more fitness. You only get to bring what you can carry from the car park. Probably means I'll have to do without the super comfy chair, although it might be worth a second trip!

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Probably be that I'm more of a sponge for this year... My contributions will probably be a knack or twist on things being demonstrated rather than being able to outright lead a session.

Happy to do a walk in, I've done that in good weather and it's a pleasant walk on field edges from the south. Some stands of trees, hedgerows and woods on the way too.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been Reading RM's next few Sections up to the Spring Section, Kit is a main part if it, if your've been in to the outdoors most will be old hat to you, but still a good reminder, especially if you speak to newbies to the Craft, one Section is navigation, last year Kevin did a great Skill Share on Navigation, I know I need a new compass, so that is an Item for the shopping list.

One of the good things I have found with Backwoods skills is that there are loads of simple and easy skills that can be learnt and easily passed on, it just takes a bit of time and patience to learn them. So I am hoping more will take a part with the spreading of Skills :).

And with the Book being a leader for this hopefully the skills will take off.

Happy to do a walk in, I've done that in good weather and it's a pleasant walk on field edges from the south. Some stands of trees, hedgerows and woods on the way too.

I remember your first visit.. you ran in from Sudbury.... I've got to get a Dam site fitter to run that lol. yeah give it a few months and hopefully I'll be up for a walker from Sudbury :).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just been sorting out my kit for next weekend, not packed, but I have been re-thinking my pack, ready for the new year of being back in the woods, I think back to living out of a rucksack may be a theme, for me on a regular basis,

Then think I will revisit the back Disco and sort it out so I always have a car camping Kit.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Good day , you may have already seen this............... but for all you archers out there put this in to you tube.............. Lars Andersen a new level of archery Hope you see you soon and another meet. Cheers

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
I said I'd try to do a hand drill share. I just need someone to locate some pallet wood for the hearths, I've got drills. I've not had much success recently, but I remember what the guy at the moot said so I can still run one. Those that can't do and all that...

We could always do a no car session if you fancy a bit more fitness. You only get to bring what you can carry from the car park. Probably means I'll have to do without the super comfy chair, although it might be worth a second trip!
I have some pallet wood already standing as separate planks can bring along just let me know what length is required and if you need anything else done to them.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Any bits about a foot to 18 inches long will be fine. it's just for the hearth. I won't be at the next meet though. It"s my bro's birthday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE