Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a request for any pictures that people may have of the Suffolk group as I would like to put them on to the Suffolk Group Facebook page. I know some don't have Facebook accounts so if you could email them to me I will put them up.

What course are you doing, I started another degree in September (Law), half of the first year is Law, the other half science and so far my a levels in biology, chemistry and physics have been more demanding, wish I could say the same for the Law bit though
Environment and Media Studies BA (apparently BA even though I was doing an FIO lab culture analysis last month)
Like seriously one minute, I'm talking war and peace, next minute I'm counting E. Coli colonies in a petri dish.

I would always be carefull where you light anything taht smokes... you never knwo what will ahpen... you may find a dozzen burley fire fighters with hoses pointing at you :).

Always bear in mind what time of day and where you are before causing smoke or a very nice smeeling tail if you cooking food :)

Ok thanks, I should probably wait until I'm somewhere I have permission just in case.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Happy Burns night to you all, I'm off to a Burns night dinner shortly. Haggis, freshly shot yesterday, and lashings of Malt Whiskey. Hope you all have a good evening, and Stu, if you're not in bed by 10.30, go home.:lmao:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Happy Burns night to you all, I'm off to a Burns night dinner shortly. Haggis, freshly shot yesterday, and lashings of Malt Whiskey. Hope you all have a good evening, and Stu, if you're not in bed by 10.30, go home.:lmao:

Have a good one Colin.... don't worry, I am off to see the Wolf on Wall street or something like that tonight, then Home to bed but with someone in tow :)... so I am not worry about time tonight .

So here is the second burn
I think some modifications will have to be made, both to the design and the way I have been using it. Starting with getting some decent dry wood. I found it hard to get the fire going until I cheated and stuck a hexi tab in there and used that to get it started.
Once it was going it went pretty solidly for perhaps 20 mins, but the jet burn stopped very quickly, I think its the height of the thing compared to the amount of actual coals I get going, probably better for a longer stay use, and build up a proper ember bed inside it, use it as a proper cooker. (maybe make another one with bigger/wider tins, this is prototype after all) eventaully want to make something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EXNWSNC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AAYUMNJ7FMOPB
in fact very tempted to pick one of those up for my euro trip

The gas liked to leak through the sides as the cans aren't fixed together, I think I'm going to JB weld them together to get the natural gas to build pressure a little better, hopefully it will be a more self-sustaining jet then.

anyway, photos.

WP_20140124_005.jpg

WP_20140124_010.jpg

WP_20140124_003.jpg

Also made a candle out of a load of old mutton fat over xmas that burned happily outside for hours and hours:
WP_20131224_001.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great stove, looks like a cross between a wood gas and a volcano stove.

I bet that candle smelt a bit funky :) like some dodgy old kebab :)

Great stove, looks like a cross between a wood gas and a volcano stove.

I bet that candle smelt a bit funky :) like some dodgy old kebab :)

You know what was strange? It didn't smell at all and there was no smoke. Really weird. Might have smelt something more if I hadn't just cooked a curry though. We sat it outside in the end anyway so it didn't smell at all there.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
How was the movie? my missus wants to see that.

It was of some funny bits no real meat on the bones of the story loads of swearing, and female nudity(full length), if you can think of bad behaving Stock Broker mentality its full of that.... cut it short illgal trading, get caught, make a deal to dob your mates in to save your own skin...

I would say not my type of film, and would rather spend my money on another film.......

elefantman

Jan 24, 2014
suffolk
Afternoon all.. Following the suggestion in my intro thread made my way in here... I live near the northern border of our fair county.. Little tiny village near diss. I'm a landy nut.. I go shooting a bit.. Rabbits/pigeons mainly.. And I fish.. Both sea and fresh. And of course camping and generally enjoying the outdoors.

Big stu.. You wouldn't happen to be the same big stu who's in the slroc by any chance?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Afternoon all.. Following the suggestion in my intro thread made my way in here... I live near the northern border of our fair county.. Little tiny village near diss. I'm a landy nut.. I go shooting a bit.. Rabbits/pigeons mainly.. And I fish.. Both sea and fresh. And of course camping and generally enjoying the outdoors.

Big stu.. You wouldn't happen to be the same big stu who's in the slroc by any chance?

Hello and welcome .. Yes it :)... I get everywhere.. lol

in hole 5.jpgIn hole 1.jpgNewborne 22 may 2011 4.jpg

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It was of some funny bits no real meat on the bones of the story loads of swearing, and female nudity(full length), if you can think of bad behaving Stock Broker mentality its full of that.... cut it short illgal trading, get caught, make a deal to dob your mates in to save your own skin...

I would say not my type of film, and would rather spend my money on another film.......

Nah, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea either, but it sounds right up my missus's street.

Woodgas stoves dont smoke when working correctly.
Thats true, smoke is un-burnt carbons basically, and a wood gas stove burns these off as well :), as the gas is burnt at the stove opening rather then just above the woods surface :)
I was talking about the fat candle.

I have uploaded 4 pics to face book and already had a couple of people have a look
is that the woodgas stoves?

I got hold of some tallow and keep meaning to melt it down, and make a lamp/candle with it :)
I was just testing it really, chucked it all in a bowl and stuck a plaited piece of string in it.
I had enough to do xmas eve, entertaining and all that to melt it down and use it properly :/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE