Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hoping I can make this one - and it's in my neck of the... Woods :rolleyes:.

I won't throw my name in until I know I can definitely make it.

your welcome, just add your name to the list, all we ask is you take part and join in, be good to meet you after so long, lol.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would love to come but no exaggeration I'm doing 14 and 15 hour days at the moment 6 sometimes 7 days a week and will be for at least the next 3 to 4 weeks. As soon as I can get this big job out of the way I can start actually having a life hopefully. I'm gutted actually as the itinerary looks great and I'm disappointed I'm missing it.

Same be good to see you again , have you had chance to do any more swinging yet?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
3 Nighter Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Meeting 3rd to 6th May 2013

This is a new site that I have not seen...

For those already in the list please can you amend.

The charge is £10 for the two nights or £15 for 3 nights, (if you want to stay 1 night then I am afraid for this one, it will still be £10 the cost is being dictated by the site at the mo..) - I have just had to pay a Deposit to secure the site... so I hope its a good one... I will collect payment for the site as you arrive in Cash please.

We will be allowed to glean Wood from the site,

There will be a Saturday Night Group Meal, made this time by Kirkland as he has offered, he is offering a Curry, Thank you for the offer Kirkland.

Simon has offered to do another nights Meal as well..Thank You for the offer Simon.

(The Group meals are normally supplied but the person making them then the cost is divided between the participants.)

Please say which you would like so the guys know how many to cater for..

This is in a Woodland that is not camped by anyone else, , The toilets and Water will be back at the farm yard where there is also a shower - approx a half a mile away depending on site chosen. I am meeting with the farmer to look at the possible sites....It sounds like I have the choice of Three yet to be confirmed..

This is going to be wild camping in a real woodland not on their main Campsite.... "Access to or very near where you’ll camp, depending on the weather, is possible. There is a hard, all weather track to within 25 yards of the area I had in mind for you to make your camp".

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory ....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals, and how many nights your staying.

If there is any activity you would like to do, just add it to the list, hopefully someone will be able to help, or you could show someone what to do.. :).

List of Attending/ Meals
1. Big Stu - 3 nights - Curry - Simons Meal
2. SJStuart - 3 Nights - Curry - Simon's Meal (obviously)
3. Roman - 2 nights definite maybe 3 - Curry
4, mitch66 -2-nights definte, maybe 3 - Curry & simons meal please
5. Zeon98 - 3 nights - Any group meals. If anyone wants me to bring anything please ask
6. Mikesmith777 - 3 (nights- provisional) (Will self Cater)
7. Reamvi Thantos - 2 nights - Curry - Simon's Meal
8. Crosslandkelly - 3 nights - Both meals. Can I bring anything for the pots.
9. Richard Stansfield - 2 nights - From Essex Outbacks
10. Rumcelt- 2 nights

List of Activities - Can people please champion the activities, to be done on a as and when basis..

Thank you for your support in championing the activity's, Shelter Building has been confirmed as OK, as long as we stick within the SSI condtions, saying that there probably will not be much greenery this time of year so the cover for a shelter will be floor debris..

Its also good that people will take part in the running of activity's as this will promote ideas an the passing of knowledge

List of Activities - Can people please champion the activities, to be done on a as and when basis..
1. Spoon Carving - Big Stu
2. Natural Shelter Building
3. Tarpology
4. Fire Lays & Lighting Methods
5. Use and Care of Sharps
6. Working with Dyneema/Amsteel (making Whoopie Slings)

I ve had a responce from the owner about Shadowbush, and here it is.... and a very important couple of points, that we would have to adhere to, if not we could jepodise any future nights there, I think anyone in the group would agree with me asking anyone attending the weekend to leave, if they did break the conditions of the SSI.

"Maybe some of the cars can be parked in the farm yard. Shadowbush is excellent I will just have to show you the boundaries and it will be important to respect them. Part of Shadowbush is a SSI, so that needs to respected too, but I’ll run you through that, its not complicated or a hassle. But yes to the making of shelters within those relatively minor constraints. Glad you’re seemingly excited by the prospect. We are too."

Last edited:

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I would love to come but no exaggeration I'm doing 14 and 15 hour days at the moment 6 sometimes 7 days a week and will be for at least the next 3 to 4 weeks. As soon as I can get this big job out of the way I can start actually having a life hopefully. I'm gutted actually as the itinerary looks great and I'm disappointed I'm missing it.

Hi Top cat,

Good luck with that big job, that illness really blocked you up it seems. You need some of Kirks curry that'll sort you.

It will be good to see you again once you get some free time, remember the woods will always be there.

Take care

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Hi all. Any one want to hazard a guess to the evening temperature on our bank holiday trip can't decide if to risk the summer sleeping bag?

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi all. Any one want to hazard a guess to the evening temperature on our bank holiday trip can't decide if to risk the summer sleeping bag?

If you want my advice take your warm one, you can always use it as a blanket if you sleep hot, I down graded my down bag to my summer synthetic last weekend and had to sleep in it in my winter jacket as it was freezing. :)

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Okay will do. It's just heavy that's all. Everything I seem to pick up is heavy it would seem as I'm going through my stuff and nothing fits. Those years of Tetris coming in to play now.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Okay will do. It's just heavy that's all. Everything I seem to pick up is heavy it would seem as I'm going through my stuff and nothing fits. Those years of Tetris coming in to play now.

If I make it I'm going wintery (though would be in the hammock - so winter underquilt and shoulder season bag as top quilt).

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
OS map of area if anyone's interested.

gu3uty5e.jpg

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'll be bringing the winter bag, and will step down to just the wool blanket if the temperature is sufficient. Personally I'm expecting it to be really bloody hot (weather data modelling is one of my many hats), but I don't want to get caught out again! (In other words, I wouldn't bet my own life on it)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll take my normal, Underquilt, Artic Bag, a Wool Blanket, even if its left in the car.. at least i'll only be cold one night..... I'll be dressed and equipeded for the worst and hope for the best...

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'll take my normal, Underquilt, Artic Bag, a Wool Blanket, even if its left in the car.. at least i'll only be cold one night..... I'll be dressed and equipeded for the worst and hope for the best...

I'm doing the same thing... perhaps bringing my summer bag as well to try it out. I mean, you can't really tell whether the summer bag will be sufficient until you try it, right? If I keep the winter bag in my Bergen so it's close to hand, if I get too cold I'll just drag it into the hammock and switch over (that'd be on the first night).

My weather model suggests that we should be at the start of a very hot season on the week leading up to that weekend, so I'm hoping that it will be. The week leading up to the weekend will be very telling, either way. If it's piping hot with warm nights throughout the week, chances are it'll be a lovely weekend. If not, then so be it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE