Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi guys, sorry to hijack your thread a bit, I have been looking at the Orchards website for a little while, Im thinking about taking the family car camping there!!
What is the site actually like?
Are the facilities nice and clean?
Atb
Steve

Saying all that the Loos and showers looked like there was a lot of work being done up. the guy is plesent enough tho, you realy need to speak to someone that has been there when the site is fully open.

THe wood is a bit steep for a wheel barrow tho.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'm working this Saturday and can't ever do a Sunday night as work Monday unless I've got it book off like the first two weeks in April.

So next Saturday is a go. Penciled in.
Can only do 24th if I'm not working but think I am.

Who interested in a two nighter during April?

Anyone any good at foraging for food?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?42p5oy

Lovely, next Sat week sounds good.

And a two nighter in April is good for me, Are you going to do it at the new site, if you do you better set a limit of people, count me In please. if its elsewere, are we going to use Orchards , as a stealth over two nigths might be a problem...

Lets set the date... do you want to lead on that Ben, and do we start to use the group for arranging the meets in detail?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Shame about the boggyness, it would be good to be there, I am up for a vist somewere, i would rather not a walk in, i did wonder about rendelsham area.?

BenCalver

Tenderfoot
Sorry to hear that rum. Hope it's better?

I'll be heading to the woods this afternoon, it's the only place I can go. Haven't got any money to head anywhere else unfortunately, payday next Friday.

It does require a lil walk to it. You could probably park car at St. Mary's church, Belstead and walk from there which is bout 5mins away from woods.

Also gotta bring my dog as the missus ain't about to look after him, so if your afraid of big dogs, might be best not to come? Although he will be staked to ground at all times and can bring mussel if it helps.

I'll be at Belstead church( St. Marys ) at 4 if anyone is wanting to come.

Let me know and I'll give you better directions on how to get there.

I'm hiking from chantry to get there myself.

I'll recheck forum in couple hours.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am afraid that I cant come this weekend, I just had a mate have a bad failure on his discovery, and he need it for next week , so off to the workshop, for a mammoth fixing session....... in to the early hrs of tomorrow, and most of tomorrow, but hey ho.....

Have a good time Ben, are you coming to orchards next weekend?.

I'll prob be doing the same and giving Tony a lift like last time, thats if he want one, lol?

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hi all,
Been trying to find kit but I am not sure what to get. I've placed some archery gear that I don't use on here for swaps for gear. But not to sure what to go for as I've had a load of people say yes please to the items.
I was thinking tent as that is what I have used in the past but kind of like the idea of hammock and tarp, but not to sure. I've had a little read to see what I think I may need but you can never tell.
All the help I can get would be great
Steve

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
From my experience, a tarp is great, in a tent you more removed from the natural world, and I love the hammock, your off the floor, and I find it very comfortable.
I love waking up and being able to see whats around you with out getting out the pit,

I have got a DD travel hammock with i like, and a DD 3x3 tarp but would say go for the XL Tarp due to the size of it would suit me better.

What other kit do you have at the mo.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hi Stu,
I had a few bits but they all seem to have gone walk about..
So what I am left with is;
A Markill stove head to put onto a gas bottle.
A Markill lamp again to put onto a gas bottle.
Gas bottles for above.
One sleeping bag.
One bottle and pouch.
Knife,Axe, Folding sa.
Clothing, hats and boots.
Torch......
And that looks about it.

Would you say your hammock, tarp and sleeping kit is a light as a tent and sleeping bag?

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
hi Boys

Did you say this weekend Stu for a camp?

I will happily do the 15th April 2 days any ideas where?

Cromm you mite look on the forum for group byes as I saw one resonantly for DD hammocks and tarps, it keeps the cost down a bit?

Re weight this depends on summer or winter my kite weight can drop by just under half, as winter you need more kit, my tarp and hammock are less than 3 Kg and that is about the weight of my colman tent, not including sleeping bag.
As my sleeping bag is part of a system Got-ex bad, sleeping bag and flees liner but during summer I only use Got-ex bag and flees liner, I hope this helps.

Regards
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Stu,
I had a few bits but they all seem to have gone walk about..
So what I am left with is;
A Markill stove head to put onto a gas bottle.
A Markill lamp again to put onto a gas bottle.
Gas bottles for above.
One sleeping bag.
One bottle and pouch.
Knife,Axe, Folding sa.
Clothing, hats and boots.
Torch......
And that looks about it.

Would you say your hammock, tarp and sleeping kit is a light as a tent and sleeping bag?

You got the majority that would be needed, The Tapr and Hammock weighs about 1.7Kgs if i remmeber right. This time of year you still need a sleeping bag in a hammock and put the Mat under you to insulate the underside of the hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE