Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andor

Jun 21, 2012
Cambridge
How about one night in pairs and the second together? From my experience, being on the move will test the gear much better then when just camping in one place. We could have a communal meal together on the second night. I am happy to bring along my cauldron and we can make a big stew from leftovers.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The main wood we use has a lot of dead wood, but the other one ShadowBush Wood had a little fallen wood as it is managed.. if the group want to meet on the last night and have a group meal, then may be our main wood would be better as it has the Communial fire place...

How about one night in pairs and the second together? From my experience, being on the move will test the gear much better then when just camping in one place. We could have a communal meal together on the second night. I am happy to bring along my cauldron and we can make a big stew from leftovers.

Like this idea.
We can then compare notes with how we got on. What we would do differently etc

Right
Packed.
All in rigged river pack unless stated.
Snow smock.
Swannie.
Merino wool/possum fur beanie.
Crusader mess tin.
Zebra billy can.
Tatonka cup.
Guyot bottle.
Candles.
Tobacco tin lantern.
Moccs and thick socks.
Food-chorizo, smoked sausage, jerky, trail bread, apples, cheese. Oxo cubes. Dried veg. Porridge. Chocolate.
Brew kit.Spoon.
Crook knife and whittling knife-need to test ride these for a review
Guy line, bank line, jute cord. Pegs.
Pukko
Outdoor axe.
Tarp on outside.
Spare Piece of leather.

Possibles pouch-ouch pouch. Bug dope.compass.spare ohine battery. Svord peasant. Sew kit. Strop. Head torch. Flint n steel pouch.monocular. hip flask.antler whistle.pipe tool.

Fak on belt with possibles pouch.
Us water bottle (big canteen type one)

Bed roll-czech bed roll dutch blanket and thin blanket.
This is strapped up and can be attached to pack or used as tump line balanced on top of pack.

All done.

Didnt take me long....
Honest

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funnily enough i was also thinking about the one night paired one night group for best of both worlds and for chance to meet folk proper.

My only negative on that is ive spent blumming ages trying to sort food options and putting it together between MOT for a two man setup. Best laid plans and all that :)

So honestly not sure what is best if there is a best. Anyways up just happy to be out and trying a bit as i dont get chance often so happy to fit whatever folk vote on.

Need to go through kit again tonight to do a final sort through, add bits ive missed and hope to pic and post too. Only thing then is bacon joint to cook and add nearer time. oh and beans

Im also adding carving stuff for spoon makings. Not done any for a bit and not while out and about.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Seeing the suggestions here, my thoughts...

Friday walk to Shadowbush Woods, stay over night there in Two/Three groups, this wood is low on dead fall, so it will challege the need for big fires.... :) it is also an SSSI so we have to be really carefull here with leave no trace.....

Saturday Midday, meet at Slade wood for a brew and lunch this will simulate stoping for abreak with our kit :)... and time for more Chat

Then walk to The main site, and pitch in the main camp area as we see fit.. small or large groups, if those fancy a mixed up DO meal then ok , if not just do your own food thing.. but use the main fire we have......

I have set the wood locations for all three woods via PM, have a look,

There is a big lake that has a log pod on that is in use this is about the only part of teh farm taht we can not wander over due its booke out as a quite retreat...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sam looks a good set of kit to me... theres a nice sellection of kit comming out here :)..

The water tap is near the Car Park area.. :)

Sam looks a good set of kit to me... theres a nice sellection of kit comming out here :)..

The water tap is near the Car Park area.. :)

If I'd been more obsessive I might of been able to remove stuff but in honesty meh....

Got an OS map number anywhere for the area?
Or could you provide us out of towners with a sketch map please?

(Thinking about it sketch map would be more boone but no worries if ya can't)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If I'd been more obsessive I might of been able to remove stuff but in honesty meh....

Got an OS map number anywhere for the area?
Or could you provide us out of towners with a sketch map please?

(Thinking about it sketch map would be more boone but no worries if ya can't)

Not got a Map munber with me but will see if I can dig it out :)

I will see what I Can do with a boonie map, lol ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I will see what I Can do with a boonie map, lol ;)

Going on an adventure? Keeping it period? Then it has to be a map suitable for 'The Booney Goonies'...

the-goonies-map.jpg

'praps not though :eek:

Pic unceremoniously grabbed from here (No connections but it's only fair to give a reciprocal link!)

Andor

Jun 21, 2012
Cambridge
Keith Burgess, nice guy from Australia. Unfortunately he had an unpleasent encounter with one of the BushcraftUK forum members who was not very nice to him. He was questioning his hunting skills or similar...Since I have ot seen him being active on the forum. I e-mailed Keith few days ago with a suggestion to help us set-up an 18th C group on BushcraftUK. We could do with someone like him. He is very knolwdable and spends quite a lot of time outdoors using 18th century quipment. He has not replied yet.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I've spent today setting up the canvas tarp (which also involved cleaning it as it came with a lovely mottling of mold on it, probably from condensation in the plastic packaging material).

I've also been trying out various carry configs... and sadly it seems like I'm going to have to stick with the modern Bergen. It's basically the only bag I can carry that doesn't destroy my lower back. On that same topic, I'm also going to have to bring the self-inflating mat.
It's a bit of a downer, really, because I'd spent ages doing an awesome "all-in-one over-the-shoulder pack roll", with the tarp and sleep system wrapped around the entirety of my kit, and bound with as-close-to-period-accurate twine as I could get my hands on.
Problem is, I can't put that much weight over my shoulders... and that was with a nylon tarp (so it'd be even more annoying with the much heavier canvas one)

Still, I've got my kit down to the following:

Sleep and Shelter
- Canvas tarp (it's 16oz "duck" cotton canvas)
- Tree straps and ridge-line (I'm using the straps because I've noticed the line cuts in to the trees with the weight of the tarp)
- Merino wool blanket
- Sleeping bag and liner (I don't have a mil-style bed roll or bivvy bag, so just working with what I got)
- Self-inflating mat (my back simply won't allow anything otherwise, and yes... I feel "guilty" for including it)
- Simple bug net (otherwise they'll never leave me alone, and I've found reference to basic bug nets used in that period, so I'm calling that "authentic". Apparently bug nets have been in use since prehistoric times! See Wikipedia entry on mosquito nets)

Cooking
- Simple pan for cooking in
- Stainless canteen for water
- Metal cup for eating and drinking out of (though I'll likely just eat out of the pan, and use it for coffee)
- Wooden spoon
- My small grill

Clothing
- I'll be wearing my usual outdoor garb (shirt, trousers, wool socks, boots)
- Fleece or wool pullover (depending on which one I find first, they're still packed from when I moved several months ago)
- Spare wool socks
- Thermal vest
- Poncho (in case we end up with protracted heavy downpours, and I'm also intending to double this as a rain catch)

Tools
- My ESEE 6 (main working knife)
- Folding saw (I'm not much of an axe man, personally)
- The new knife I got from Damascus (for intricate carving work)
- Crook knife (I'm hoping to make use of it while I'm out there)
- Reasonable amount of cordage

Food
I'm picking all this up tomorrow, so it'll basically come down to what I can find in Tesco...
- Fresh veg
- Fresh meat (for use on the Friday night)
- Dried/Cured meat
- Popcorn kernels
- Block of butter
- Molasses
- Ginger root
- One or two bags of pre-prepared bread mix
- Couple of home-made Hudson Bay Bread squares (oats and molasses-based syrup with fresh banana... yum)
- Coffee (going to see if I can get my hands on a basic peculator otherwise I'll stick with the 3-in-one variety)
- Loose-leaf tea

Tinder Pouch
I'm going to try with tinder picked from the environment first, but if that fails I'll be bringing some with me...
- Cotton bud
- Birch bark
- Coconut husk (not strictly accurate to the boonie, but I just happen to have some and want to try it out)
- Couple of spark-catching fungus that I've been given

Emergency/Fail-safe Stuff
All items (except med kit) in my waist kit unless otherwise stated...
- My full med kit
- Firesteel (just in case I absolutely fail with bow drill)
- Matches (these will only be used for smokes)
- Compass
- Whistle (came in handy before... might be useful again, you never know)
- Bug spray (I'm not joking when I say they never leave me alone!)
- Couple of survival blankets (might come in handy should my canvas tarp start letting through water for any reason)
- Small card-rolled duct tape (to be used with the above)
- Knife sharpener
- Multi-tool (usually only used when I'm failing to untie a knot with my fingers)

I think that's everything, basically. Anything missing?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've spent today setting up the canvas tarp (which also involved cleaning it as it came with a lovely mottling of mold on it, probably from condensation in the plastic packaging material).

I've also been trying out various carry configs... and sadly it seems like I'm going to have to stick with the modern Bergen. It's basically the only bag I can carry that doesn't destroy my lower back. On that same topic, I'm also going to have to bring the self-inflating mat.
It's a bit of a downer, really, because I'd spent ages doing an awesome "all-in-one over-the-shoulder pack roll", with the tarp and sleep system wrapped around the entirety of my kit, and bound with as-close-to-period-accurate twine as I could get my hands on.
Problem is, I can't put that much weight over my shoulders... and that was with a nylon tarp (so it'd be even more annoying with the much heavier canvas one)

Looks like you've got everything covered Si.:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Light as always Si, lol

Dont worry about the Odd bit of extra gear, its taking Part with the spirit of a Boonie and learning new skills :), not just turning up for a camp :), but you know that

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but this gentleman made a brief appearance on the forum a few years ago...
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.se/

Thats a good site, thank you.

Going on an adventure? Keeping it period? Then it has to be a map suitable for 'The Booney Goonies'...

Will this do...
DSC_0146.jpg

Sorry I just had to do it... and with a little bit of the information missing, lol

well it caught light and i could not put it out quick enough....

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Looks good. And inflating mat is not cheating. It's meant to be fun so there's no point suffering just to prove a point. You need to be healthy and sleep well so fine with me fella.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE