Suffolk Bushcraft Group Aprill Meeting 4th to Sunday 6th April 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Yes I will be at the pub for a pint or 2 friday lunch time and will leave Saturday evening sometime as we are going to Scarborough sunday morning.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
This will be an intersting one to see how people use fire lighting methods, and how they change from person to person, also get some good tips, nows the time to start to look for any tinder that you may see about of things you may think are good ones...

What may be a good idea is to bring in tinders, we can use them in the morning then in the afternoon go for a hr or so walk and see what tinders we can find around the farm as such... and see how we can use them :)

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Well guys, it looks like I'll be there along with another BUK member. I'm genuinely looking forward to this. Though I've camped many times, I haven't been in the woods in a few years, so I've picked up some gear and will make a genuine effort to survive a weekend under a tarp inside a big surplus Arctic bag. It should be interesting. Our plan is to meet at the pub on Friday and go in with everyone.

I've got a few questions through. The site, as I understand it, is several hundred meters from the cars, right? I've seen photos of the prior meets with all sorts of gear that I'd hesitate to trek in, like cast iron pots and big lanterns with fuel. I've also seen tables and wine bottles. What is this site like? Do you all typically make a couple of trips to the truck for stuff, or is it a carry-everything-in-one-trip lightweight weekend?

To be fair, I like to eat well when I camp, and if there is a grill and open fire, then I'd plan accordingly. If it's portable backpacking stoves, then that too requires some planning.

Any advice for a newcomer?

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Right, dinner.

It seems a bit pointless getting a leg of lamb if there is going to be less than 8-10 people so here is what I'm thinking...

Pork chops, jacket potatoes, corn on the cob.

I will spend Friday night individually wrapping everything in foil. I'll put butter, and sage from the garden, salt and pepper in with the pork chops. That way everyone can cook together in a fire pit or do their own thing if they wish.
The corn will have butter, salt and pepper in the foil and the tatties will be washed, pierced then wrapped.

That will be £2.50 each and will include a bottle of tommy sauce, extra butter and salt&pepper for the jacket potatoes.

Everyone happy with that? Just say if you want anything extra or different.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
List of Attending
1. Big Stu - Arriving Friday - 6pm
2. Hedgecrafter - Arriving AM Sat
3. Chris - Friday night only - Pub at Midday
4. Iambosscat - arriving Saturday morning
5. James (hoping to arrive 7pm Friday evening if I can get away from work for 4pm -still cycling in.)
6.MarkinLondon (should meet at the pub on Friday.)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a midwife appointment on the Friday at 12 so I will not be able to be at the pub untill later in the day, cant state a time as it all depends on how late she is running.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve just heard.. I am am being released from my Old job on the 28th March so 7 weeks early.. and I start the new job the following week, as I work untill 12:30 ish on Fridays, I will be coming stright from work to the meet, I am not sure how the land lies yet, untill I actually get there on Tuesday 1st April.. I am hoping to be at the pub for 13:00 hrs if I get away at 12:30...

As Chris can not make the Pub for midday it may well be a later meet start time at the Pub for new commers... this may well have to unfold as it happens.. sorry about that...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well guys, it looks like I'll be there along with another BUK member. I'm genuinely looking forward to this. Though I've camped many times, I haven't been in the woods in a few years, so I've picked up some gear and will make a genuine effort to survive a weekend under a tarp inside a big surplus Arctic bag. It should be interesting. Our plan is to meet at the pub on Friday and go in with everyone.

I've got a few questions through. The site, as I understand it, is several hundred meters from the cars, right? I've seen photos of the prior meets with all sorts of gear that I'd hesitate to trek in, like cast iron pots and big lanterns with fuel. I've also seen tables and wine bottles. What is this site like? Do you all typically make a couple of trips to the truck for stuff, or is it a carry-everything-in-one-trip lightweight weekend?

To be fair, I like to eat well when I camp, and if there is a grill and open fire, then I'd plan accordingly. If it's portable backpacking stoves, then that too requires some planning.

Any advice for a newcomer?

Thats good news bud see you there...

The site is about 800m from where we park in the Landowners back yard as such.. most of the time we tend to have a couple of 4 x 4 with, so transport the heavy stuff in them.. there has only been one meet when the Mud has put pay to that and a full walk in was required.

The pots and laterns are personal and people bring them in each time, but the group has just brought three parrafin lamps, and the tables are group as well, they are left in a storage shed we have on site, you will need to bring your own chairs for comfort tho. the wine bottles are of course brought in and taken out by attenders :), the site is a wild wood with no water, there is from a tap near to where we park the cars :)

The tripod and griddle are always there as they are mine and I bring them for the use of everyone in the group. most cook over the communial fire some use the stove that they bring.

In the summer we allow cars in to the woods to un-load and load up then they have to return to teh carparking.

other then that the best advise is to bring your stuff, the pics give a very good repersentation of a meet, come along take part and enjoy the woods :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Right, dinner.

It seems a bit pointless getting a leg of lamb if there is going to be less than 8-10 people so here is what I'm thinking...

Pork chops, jacket potatoes, corn on the cob.

I will spend Friday night individually wrapping everything in foil. I'll put butter, and sage from the garden, salt and pepper in with the pork chops. That way everyone can cook together in a fire pit or do their own thing if they wish.
The corn will have butter, salt and pepper in the foil and the tatties will be washed, pierced then wrapped.

That will be £2.50 each and will include a bottle of tommy sauce, extra butter and salt&pepper for the jacket potatoes.

Everyone happy with that? Just say if you want anything extra or different.

Thats sounding good to me ... :)... I'll post it up in the OP.. thank you.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Stu: I suppose it's ok to tell you who it is. He just hasn't formally replied to everyone and I didn't want to speak for him. We spoke a couple of days ago and checked our calendars. His BCUK name is Bowlin. We both live in Luton and will be driving up together (I don't drive since moving to England.) The plan is to meet at that pub around midday, under the assumption that one of you will be there.

As for toys: this is a big toy weekend for me. New tarp, sleeping bag and knife. I'm trying to decide which of a dozen stoves to bring (I'm one of those brass stove guys), and whether there will be paraffin lanterns lugged in. I've got a few big Vapaluxes that want to get out.

I saw the Facebook photos that showed you all making the clay oven, so I'm assuming we are going to that site, and there will likely be a cooking grill over the fire and a few tree stumps lying around.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE