Suddenly not allowed to post pictures

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Can't figure out why I'm getting a message that I'm not allowed to post pictures from my gallery.
It worked a few weeks ago, but I've tried twice now to put up a picture, and I'm just unable to do so. I've tried the attach files and the picture icon. Both say the same. Could someone please check it out for me please? Thanks.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Morpeth, Northumberland
Seems to work on Tapatalk...
3bb7af6181f0d1ce42727a442ce18996.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Nice65 and Chris

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Are you sure it's BCUK preventing you, or is it your device's operating system?
I've no idea.. last time I posted a pic with absolutely no problems was for the photo comp.
Suddenly I'm getting a message saying not allowed. Being a luddite, and a computer idiot, I have no idea what is going on.
I'll try again later this evening, and report the complete message. Busy right now.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
OK, at bottom of page, after signing in, I'm getting occasionally
The active user has changed reload the page for latest version.
I've logged on and off several times..no idea what that means or how to do that.
When I try to upload a photo, using the attach files, I get.
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extention, the following extentions are allowed, followed by a grey box with 20240706_135704.he...

I also get when I click on the top piccy loading icon. Image file type is invalid.
What's happening?

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
20240706_135704.he...

I'm not the forum's tech help FYI, so I could be missing something very obvious to the talented folks who run this place.

But that file extension looks very odd to me, if it's genuinely .he

Can you post the full file name without the truncation of ... ?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've checked and the system and it seems fine, you might need to convert your image to an appropriate file type/extension for it to be accepted. As a Full member your permissions are the same as every other Full Member.

@Keith_Beef as a non subscribing member you're asked to host images externally. This is something that's under review but for now Bushcraft UK hosting images is for subscribing members.

Reactions: Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You are not, by any chance, using an apple device camera? I had a new phone, and had it set for what it said was best quality...which used HEIC extensions on the photo files, instead of JPG or JPEG, which no normal system can read without a converter. Apple PITA!

"You can disable HEIC on your iPhone by going to Settings > Camera > Formats and selecting “Most Compatible” instead of “High Efficiency.” This will save all future photos in JPEG format."

Reactions: Toddy and Pattree

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm not using anything different , just my normal Samsung android phone, everything has worked no problem untill recently. I havnt changed anything in the settings . I don't understand why things suddenly changed. I've never had a problem before. It's obviously my end. I'll have to go see someone and get them to sort it. I can't seem to find the camera in settings, but then I'm not very clever with this sort of thing. I don't even know what JPEG is!
Thanks for the imput, and checking for me though.
I'm still getting the message
The active user has changed please reload the page for latest version.
What does that mean?
Who is the active user?
How do I reload the page?
I understand that, as a different person is logging on as me, and I need to log off and log on again. I'm probably totaly wrong on both counts. I'm just not sure how I reload a page other than that. I just don't get the terminology at all. It's a different language for me.! I know the words, but they don't make any sense to me. I've never had any computer training of any sort, just floundering around with a phone. When i go and get stuff sorted on the phone, I watch others flip through at 90 miles an hour, sorting stuff out and clicking on stuff I can't find myself. I'm definitely a tech luddite!:)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I use Apple HEIF images on other similar forums that use the same platform (Xenforo) they load perfectly well.
On another forum I use, I cant post pictures unless I make them smaller, but I get a message saying the file is too large. @Woody girl you could try using the Attach button and making the pics smaller. I’ll show you what I mean.

IMG_4880.jpeg

IMG_4880.jpeg

IMG_4880.jpeg

A picture just dropped in without resizing is data heavy, they can take ages to load on low signal or poor wifi, where’s the reduced sizes load really quickly on opening a thread. I only use the picture as it is in photo competitions or where the detail is important, you’ll see the diminishing quality in the 3 above.

When I hit ‘Attach’ there are options to add the pic as it is, which is quite big in terms of megabytes. Or there are options for reducing the size. My screen looks like this, but yours may be different.

IMG_1720.png
IMG_1721.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just for completeness, here’s the pic as it is, without resizing. I’m on low speed broadband and it takes ages to get to 100%.

IMG_4880.jpeg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
@Woody girl May I ask how you are accessing the forum, e.g. through an app like Tapatalk or are you using a web browsing app like Chrome, or Samsung Internet or something else?

I have the taptalk icon, but never used it except to actualy bring the forum up. I usualy go through chrome.
I don't know how to explain it , I press the taptalk app, and it goes through chrome automaticaly. Occasionally I get a message ..continue with chrome or taptalk,.. I always go for chrome. Should I go through taptalk? I don't know how to change that unless the message comes up.
Sorry, I'm an absolute dunce with this stuff. Nobody I know round here seems to have any idea what I'm on about,so it's hard to sort.
I'm still getting ..the active user has changed message whenever I log on.
No problem sending same photos by text or any problems on another forum. That's why I thought it might be a problem with bcuk.
I don't go via taptalk with the other forum.(not related to bushcraft) I just have an icon.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I have the taptalk icon, but never used it except to actualy bring the forum up. I usualy go through chrome.
I don't know how to explain it , I press the taptalk app, and it goes through chrome automaticaly. Occasionally I get a message ..continue with chrome or taptalk,.. I always go for chrome. Should I go through taptalk? I don't know how to change that unless the message comes up.
Sorry, I'm an absolute dunce with this stuff. Nobody I know round here seems to have any idea what I'm on about,so it's hard to sort.
I'm still getting ..the active user has changed message whenever I log on.
No problem sending same photos by text or any problems on another forum. That's why I thought it might be a problem with bcuk.
I don't go via taptalk with the other forum.(not related to bushcraft) I just have an icon.

Do you get the same issue if you navigate straight to the bushcraftuk.com from Chrome rather than by initially opening the Taptalk app?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE