Sudan bound!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 31, 2007
This is a general appeal to those who know about trecking/working in rural Africa.

Recently, I was given a job working in the south of Sudan for one year. I leave in 10 days.

On the basic checklist of essentials I was told to bring "good boots". Now what does this translate to when considering sub saharan Africa?

I do know that during the rainy season, everyone wears wellies, so the boots don't need to be waterproof (and besides, my feet would cook for the majority of the year if there was any Gortex in the upper).
Apart from that, I have to wear them everyday (so must be comfy), AND I prefer boots that are not too built up in the sole (I have problems with my arches - flat or no shoes work best).

So, what do you reccomend? Is there an answer!?

(The RB2 Rouge Ranger have been mentioned to me.)

Look forward to some good advice!!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
This is a general appeal to those who know about trecking/working in rural Africa.

Recently, I was given a job working in the south of Sudan for one year. I leave in 10 days.

On the basic checklist of essentials I was told to bring "good boots". Now what does this translate to when considering sub saharan Africa?

I do know that during the rainy season, everyone wears wellies, so the boots don't need to be waterproof (and besides, my feet would cook for the majority of the year if there was any Gortex in the upper).
Apart from that, I have to wear them everyday (so must be comfy), AND I prefer boots that are not too built up in the sole (I have problems with my arches - flat or no shoes work best).

So, what do you reccomend? Is there an answer!?

(The RB2 Rouge Ranger have been mentioned to me.)

Look forward to some good advice!!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Would love to go to Sudan, you're a lucky devil! My girlfriends sister drove down through Ethiopia and Sudan at the beginning of the year and said (despite news reports) that it is one of the most wonderful and friendly countries she's been too (more pyramids than Egypt! ...... just not quite as big :) !). However, she says that that is only the case once you get off the main NGO travel routes which are becoming a bit of a nightmare (as they are in Ethiopia)!

I think a lot of the info you are after may have been covered recently in the Namibia Thread and also some info in the KSB Thread.

My boot recommendation:-
Low leg:- Hi tech Trail 2 or KSB Outback
High leg: Meindl Desert Fox (although I believe they have now been refined slightly and called Meindl Safari boots)

Also take some reefs/sandals and purchase a pair of cheap trainers locally (easily replaced).

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Have you worked out the political situation?

I shared an office with a refugee from South Sudan in 2001. Life was not easy.His children walked for 11 days to get out through minefields. Is it better now?

It still pretty dodgy. Then again it always is!

In light of this I thought I'd just point out that it's advisable to sign up to the AMREF flying doctor service (or similar) and take copies of all you documentation. Take a few with you and leave some at home as well.

Aug 31, 2007
Political situation always fluctuating, but my boss'll keeps an eye on that and will pull everyone out weeks before a wiff of danger, plus have bombproof insurance.

The Meindl boots look like the job, and the Karrimor ain't bad either, now I just need to track down a shop to try those suckers on. Thanks for that info...

To be honest have little knowledge of the trecking opportunities in this region of Africa, though I'm assuming everywhere (discluding the warzones) represents a trecking opportunity. I will be given R&R every two months, so I'm sure i'll find out soon enough!!

Thanks again!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Political situation always fluctuating, but my boss'll keeps an eye on that and will pull everyone out weeks before a wiff of danger, plus have bombproof insurance.

The Meindl boots look like the job, and the Karrimor ain't bad either, now I just need to track down a shop to try those suckers on. Thanks for that info...

To be honest have little knowledge of the trecking opportunities in this region of Africa, though I'm assuming everywhere (discluding the warzones) represents a trecking opportunity. I will be given R&R every two months, so I'm sure i'll find out soon enough!!

Thanks again!

Aktive8 online store does the KSBs at a reasonable price. Not sure about the Meindls ..... army surplus shops might stock them, Field and Trek also has the older Desert Fox ...... maybe they have a shop near you.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
A superb range of boots fit for most conditions are those made by Alt Berg at Richmond, they even have made to measure facilities, but not in the time scale you have before leaving! You can visit the factory or use the shop in Richmond itself. I worked in Iraq in 2003/4 and many of my colleagues had Alt Berg's, I have some of their motorcycle boots but no deserts! so I struggled on with the Standard British Army issue boots ( no I am not a soldier!) which were just plain horrible!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE