Such Folly !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
y40.jpg

So , if you know of any beautiful . elegant or Interesting Follys in your area please let me know!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between industrial ruins and follies :)

Cornish Tin mine: (promise I won't upload any more non-follies :))

View attachment 58603

To be fair , It doesn't HAVE to be a Folly to pique my interest - any structure , ruin , derelict structure or building , natural or unnatural can be in with a chance.

Nice to see you put a CORNISH tin mine up there... Obviously you Welsh boyyos don't know much about Mining. :)

Reactions: Herman30

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Near me: the Wellington Monument. It’s listed in some places as a folly. Currently undergoing a long running renovation project, but I believe that you can still get up if you pay a small fee. It’s a tower in a very dominant position in the landscape at the end of a high ridge, with a commanding view of the area around Wellington. We also have an old lime kiln on the outskirts of our village if that counts?

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Near me: the Wellington Monument. It’s listed in some places as a folly. Currently undergoing a long running renovation project, but I believe that you can still get up if you pay a small fee. It’s a tower in a very dominant position in the landscape at the end of a high ridge, with a commanding view of the area around Wellington. We also have an old lime kiln on the outskirts of our village if that counts?

Hey , I'm very familiar with Wellington Monument. Its been under work for some time now hasn't it.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hey , I'm very familiar with Wellington Monument. Its been under work for some time now hasn't it.

Yep, I think it’s due for completion in June 2021, but the virus might delay that I s’pose. We can see it clearly from our place even though it’s 6/7 miles away as the crow flies. We use the view as an indicator of the weather - if you can see it, it’s a nice day :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Liven up the landscape.

Rond here we have the Faringdon Folly, and there is a small one by the lake in Stanton park.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Are those follys situated near some lords country house, manor or something of that sort?

Hi Herman , I'm not sure if you are based in the UK? But yes Most follys tend ( always an exception to the rule ) built on or near country estates of Gentry. Some by wealthy merchants , some by industrialists , some by true old school gentry.

Obviously a lot of material and labour would be involved in building a Folly so it tended to be a way for the super wealthy of the time to express ( and show ) their wealth. A thing of Fashion.

As you can see from this Map there are alot of Follys across the UK and some in Europe.

There are links to some history if you click on a specific Folly.

Reactions: Herman30

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
@TeeDee No I live in Finland, finnish citizen.
Have only once visited England briefly, 1988 on the interrail tour. One night in London and then a few days in Oxford, Southampton, Portsmouth, Windsor.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE