Such Folly !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
One of my pet interests is tracking down and photographing Follies , or interesting ruins or naturally incurring structures - To give you an idea of what I mean here are some Photographs.

I've travelled some distance to get this photos and after Lock down is lifted i intend to pursue more - however being located in the West County means I'm somewhat geographically isolated. I combine this with other activities so it can be ( for me ) and interesting activity.

Although there is an online map http://follies.org.uk/index.php/map/

I wonder if anyone can suggest some Interesting Follies in their own neck of the woods? I can then plan some away trips to view them and record them.

q1.jpgq2.jpgq3.jpgq4.jpg
f3.giff4.gif

f1.giff1.giff3.giff1.gif

f1.giff3.giff1.gif

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Do I understand corectly that those are not ancient castles but simply newer buildings built for the pleasure of eye?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
you could even stay in this one....

and from there you can see this one.....

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm assuming you mean Abereiddi’s Blue Lagoon (which is in South West Wales, two and half hours from us) not the adventure park :)
I could probably swim in it; I doubt I could dive off the top into it!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm assuming you mean Abereiddi’s Blue Lagoon (which is in South West Wales, two and half hours from us) not the adventure park :)
I could probably swim in it; I doubt I could dive off the top into it!

I do , distance and time are not much of a restriction on me .

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
There’s one near me - Dinton - and we drive past it after some trips away. I looked it up some time back while it was still a ruin then a guy bought it and made it habitable.

It was on an episode of grand designs. I would say the conversion was a folly too, though nicely done. (The technique for fitting the window sills was superb)

Reactions: Herman30 and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I may be beginning to get the wrong impression about you :)

But, to answer your question, I suspect not - they're just meant to be clearly visible from a distance, 'look what I can afford to build' type statement.

Ditto to the first bit...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE