Succulent Reedmace

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Most of you will have tried Reedmace (Typha Latifolia) tubers, they're a fantastic source of starch in the UK. Some of you may have tried the young shoots as well. This is a simple way of harvesting a delicious, soft but crisp, vegetable resource later in the season. I enjoy it raw but it can be cooked in things like stir fry etc.

At this time of year there are few new shoots to pick but, if you cut the Reedmace down to 5 centimetres or so above ground or water and leave it overnight, you'll get a growth of the inner layers of a couple of centimetres. Push your fingers down between this core and the outer layers which forces the outer fibres away and pull up on the inner core. You'll come away with a lovely white stem of crunchy vegetable. It doesn't have a strong flavour but is delicious with just a little salt and black pepper or dipped in mayo or dipping sauce of your choice.

reedmace 1.jpg

reedmace 2.jpg

reedmace 3.jpg

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
'Pro tip' I never knew that. Thanks buddy!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a really clear explanation with photos too :D
Thank you for the post.

I like reedmace, and I like collecting the gold pollen earlier in the year too. It's a protein rich addition to flour, and easily obtained.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Most of you will have tried Reedmace (Typha Latifolia) tubers, they're a fantastic source of starch in the UK. Some of you may have tried the young shoots as well. This is a simple way of harvesting a delicious, soft but crisp, vegetable resource later in the season. I enjoy it raw but it can be cooked in things like stir fry etc.

At this time of year there are few new shoots to pick but, if you cut the Reedmace down to 5 centimetres or so above ground or water and leave it overnight, you'll get a growth of the inner layers of a couple of centimetres. Push your fingers down between this core and the outer layers which forces the outer fibres away and pull up on the inner core. You'll come away with a lovely white stem of crunchy vegetable. It doesn't have a strong flavour but is delicious with just a little salt and black pepper or dipped in mayo or dipping sauce of your choice.

View attachment 68167

View attachment 68168

View attachment 68169
Nice tip the gel like substance at it's base numbs gums if you have toothache or other ailments

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE