Success!! - I Made Fire!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 22, 2012
Gloucestershire
This may seem like an unusually excited post for making fire, especially given that I used firesteel over a bow or hand drill etc, but since this would be the first time I have been out into the woods and got a good hot fire going in many years I felt it worth the tribute!

Managed to get 2 fires going actually, one using natural tinder (some wood shavings and dead fern leaves in a bundle), the second using a small cotton bud. The cotton bud (no vaseline) worked very well, catching the kindling alight within a few seconds and on to a roaring fire. :D

That is all!

Take care

Matt

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well done dude, its all a learning process, none of us where born doin the bow drill....;)

keep up the good work and before you know it you will be trying the hand drill...

regards.

chris.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
every single one of us has been there and can remember the feeling of elation getting those first important steps in the art of fire lighting made, chuffed for you

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well done chap, keep it up and try other methods of firelighting in various conditions. Also fire lays and different woods, and you can keep that elation a while longer :)

Feb 22, 2012
Gloucestershire
That was annoying, I replied but it disappeared!

Anyway I was just saying thanks, and I wanted to learn more about identifying trees/wood - I was going to get one of those collins gem books and just start having a go, any suggestions? Am I on the right track? It's been years since I identified trees from leaves etc (back when "I" was a scout, not a leader!)

Doris (aka Matt)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Have a go with a cramp ball - they're very satisfying to use.

I've got the Collins guide to British trees - if I were you, I'd get the full size version. It's getting easier now because there are leaves beginning to appear on the trees which help in identification.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I was so excited when I started my first fire. I remember very well a surge of self confidence never felt before. A boost for a beginner:You_Rock_

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Well done! As others have said, its a great feeling when you do.
I must admit that I have got lazy (like a lot of us) and havn't NOT used a lighter for some time. Must get back to using other means.
Alan

stoviecraig

Oct 11, 2011
scotland
Well done from me as well! I managed to get my first fire lit with a firepiston at the weekend and the joy was tremendous! Nothing wrong with a flint and steel, it works great when everything is generally soaking up here in Scotland. Apologies to those experiencing the water shortage in the south...............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE