Your time to fire(steel)?

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

If you wandered into the woods with just a firesteel, how long before you had a wee fire started?

• <5min Piece of pee - less than five minutes, easy!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • 5-20min Within 20 minutes (on a dry day with dry materials?)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 20-40min I’d want ½-hour or so, to be sure

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • >40min It might take a while, but I’d get it done eventually

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • unsure If I’m honest, I’m not confident enough with a firesteel to know that I’d succeed every time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How big a fire ?
I can make a flare up in under five minutes in those conditions but I'd be scurrying about like a spider in a midge cloud trying to get enough firewood to keep it going much.

• Haha
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
I think you've got the only answer you're likely to get - most people say, depending on resources, from under 5 to 20 minutes.

What more do you want?

Reactions: Le Loup

Brizzlebush

Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Brilliant, drop a spark into a bunch of bushcrafters and.....:lmao:

I'm with most answers here. 5-20 mins for a twig fire without pre-prepared tinder.

Reactions: Toddy

gra_farmer

Settler
Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have done this a number of times on my own for a coffee, and one time timed after jumping in a cool/cold river. For me it would still be around the 5 min mark, ideally in birch woodland.

You will be amazed how fast you can collect and light a fire when you need too.

But in not ideal surroundings it would be 5 - 20 mins

Aug 12, 2020
Northern Sweden
Its much depending on the enviroment. In a pine forest like I live in now, I think Id get one going in less than five minutes. But then I need fuel to keep it going and so on offcourse. Its hard to tell. Never been in a situation where I needed to get it going really fast, I like to take my time. But with fatwood always at hand from the twigs, its really easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES

The price is £27 and you can pay via the paypal button below.