Stu's birthday ice breaking (v v v pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Stu’s birthday paddle blog.

Well we all met up at the pub as planned ( ok a little late ) and had a good look at the canal……….and it was frozen DOH. I had gone down to the canal the night before and the spot I looked over did not appear to be frozen.
After checking out the thickness of the ice on the canal there was a bit of a conflab as to the best plan for the day…….well it would be a shame to not do a bit of ice breaking. So we unloaded the canoes and slid them down the bank to the canalside.

DSCF2557.jpg

DSCF2555.jpg

DSCF2558.jpg

Even the stripwood got this treatment lol

P4150786.jpg

P4150787.jpg

The ice turned out to be a little thicker then we had first thought…..

DSCF2596.jpg

Anyway onto the canal we went.
DSCF2571.jpg

P4150794.jpg

P4150799.jpg

It was a killer breaking through the ice and nearly finished John off

P4150805.jpg

The ice was only slighty thinner at the edges

DSCF2581.jpg

Until finally we found some open water……It had only taken us 1 hour to do about ½ a mile lol

DSCF2583.jpg

DSCF2585.jpg

Then it was brew time…
DSCF2587.jpg

can you tell what we got from santa

DSCF2586.jpg

After which we started the long slog back along the ice field…..
DSCF2593.jpg

We decided that dragging the canoes back up the slope was a bad idea and chose to portage them instead

DSCF2599.jpg

DSCF2600.jpg

DSCF2603.jpg

Before we all went to the pub for a well earned drink. After loads of taking the mickey out of each other for ages it was time to set off home after another great day.

Cheers Greg

It was a fun day very hard work getting though the ice it was almost an inch think, I dressed for the cold weather and after breaking though 100 yards or so was over heating and had to have a lie down :) oh and the pub did a very nice pint of best happy birthday agian stu

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Happy birthday Stu, I really enjoy paddling in the ice (well I've done it once at night) you all look like you had a great day. Mr firebreather man I do like your new cowprint apache. I will always regret getting rid of mine but I know I'll come back to one of Stu's apaches oneday.

Happy new year

DanDan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE