STUPIDLY SIMPLE lip balms ~ plain o' wicked

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Plain lip balm is made with two ingreidents, beeswax, rapeseed oil. It has no smell or taste, so great if you are hunting. It can be rubbed on face as well as lips to prevent wind chapping.

Wicked lip balm is made with three ingreidents, beeswax rapeseed oil and an unbleached cotton wick. It doesn't smell or taste, so great if you are hunting. As well as preventing chapped lips and skin it can in case of emergency be used as a candle. The lipbalm in 15ml tins burns for about four hours. The candle isnt smokey and produces a reasonable amount of heat. If the candle is blown out the product can still be used as a lip balm but with a slightly smokey smell, the candle wick is an emergency use to an everyday carry item.

Plain lip Balm £2.50 for 15 ml
Wicked Lip Balm £2.50 for 15 ml

Plain lip balm £4.00 for 30ml
Wicked lip balm £4.00 for 30ml

Postage is free.

either paypal to stupidlysimple@gmx.com or send a pm with your e-mail address to me or woodstock and we will send you an invoice. PLEASE if you send a direct payment say your user name and which product you want.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pure genius, love the candle lip balm idea. Excellent stocking/possibles pouch filler, and non smelly too. Though you could do a range of festive bushcraft flavours: - pine needle tea, baked bannock, wild raspberry (just no Bear Grylls wee wee flavour).

Cool idea,
GB.

xylaria

Love the idea!
Any idea how this balm might do in freezing temperatures?

I have only tried it out against very cold rain with a high wind chill. The people I sold tins to last year were pleased with it when it was -10c. I use it on my face rather than my lips. I just put a tin in the freezer it see what happens to it, the reason I use rapeseed oil not coconut is that it remains softer at lower tempratures. I check to see if it still spreads and if it still burns as a candle when frozen.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The reason I asked was to see if it would have any (negative) effects on the skin at subzero temperatures. I used a vaselinebased product once and that chilled the skin on my cheekbones considerably.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a very neat concept Xylaria :D and presented in such a practical way too :approve: Very tidily done :D

Ron, for lypsyls made for those who ski or hike, hunt or fish in the bitter cold, the usual recipes contain lanolin, mineral oil and a tiny amount of hardener like carnuba wax. To that they add a huge amount of scents and preservatives and colourings to disguise the cheap lanolin taste and smell.

Xylaria's recipe is not only mineral oil free, isn't going to go off, or stink like a dead sheep. Beeswax is the firming and preserving agent, but the modern well refined rapeseed oil lasts very well indeed anyway.
While it's relatively simple to make, if a bit of a footer, a skiddle, (I've spent ages trying to think of an English equivalent for those words and I'm stumped :sorry: ) at the price Xylaria's selling these complete Wicked sets for, to have it all in one neat, very useable tin, is well worth it. Vegetarian and really incredibly low allergen potential too :)

cheers,
Mary

xylaria

The reason I asked was to see if it would have any (negative) effects on the skin at subzero temperatures. I used a vaselinebased product once and that chilled the skin on my cheekbones considerably.

I have been trying to find out the why that would happen. Where I live tempratures dont drop below -10 at the absolute most, it is normally wind and rain. Beeswax is a thermal insulator, like wood or wool. Striaght out of the freezer the lipbalm isnt cold to put on. I remember using vaseline in physics to conduct heat between two metals. I cant find the specfic heat capcity for vaseline to find out if it is an thermal insulator or conductor. I dont put on my face because spending my teenage years cycling around london i found out the road polution desolves into the vaseline and you end up with a face like a coal miner.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I used the lip balm last year, which in my neck of the woods got to -10/-12, and often with a serious wind chill factor. It performs superbly on lips and face, and even kept a fresh and pretty large surgical scar on my hand in very good shape; (I hate wearing gloves)...................I'll be ordering more of this in the near future.

I wouldn't have anything else anywhere near my lips and face............................

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks for the responses Toddy and Xylaria.
I do not want to smell like a dead sheep, a fruitbasket or anything else for that matter, but do not want cracked or dry skin or lips or any other coldweatherinduced damages either. Not do I want to run around greasy as a pig or wirh chemicals on my skin. Tried several things till now and the only thing that did the trick to my full satisfaction is an ointment called "uierzalf" in Dutch. (literally translated udder ointment), but that was years ago and in Holland. Guess they changed the mixture over the years and the weather's a bit different up here.
So I am looking for alternatives..... quite desperately actually.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Got a tin and so far my family and I are very pleased with its contents!
Works great on sore lips (especially with the kids) and on dry and cracked skin (particularly around the fingernails). Next to odourless and the greasy feeling like normal ointments give is gone fast. It doesn't feel as cold as regular ointments when exposed to low temperatures or wind either, but I haven't tried it with serious frosts, though.
Thanks for a great product!
However the wick does get a bit in the way during normal use.

xylaria

Got a tin and so far my family and I are very pleased with its contents!
Works great on sore lips (especially with the kids) and on dry and cracked skin (particularly around the fingernails). Next to odourless and the greasy feeling like normal ointments give is gone fast. It doesn't feel as cold as regular ointments when exposed to low temperatures or wind either, but I haven't tried it with serious frosts, though.
Thanks for a great product!
However the wick does get a bit in the way during normal use.

Thank you for the review Ron, I am glad you found it works well.

The price drop was editted into the original post.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE