Stupid Sausages

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Another option is to carry a kilo of beef dripping or pork lard and deep fry the sausages. On the first day you can deep fry a steak and kidney pie too, make chips etc ;)

Here is a good healthy meal
1 tin sausages in lard
1 tin mushy peas
1 packet of Smash

followed by

1 tin Heinz treacle sponge pudding
1 packet of instant custard.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
When I was a boy, country folk women used to fry sausage in the morning for breakfast and whatever was left over was placed in a small crock or other container and the left over grease that they were cooked in was reheated and poured over the sausage. It was not put under refrigeration. Just left sitting on the kitchen cabinet. When it was wanted, the sausage was dug out of the grease and reheated in the skillet.

There would be no reason, a person couldn't cook something like sausage up in advance. Sure would speed up a meal on the trail.

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
I either bring dried fried lean minced meat, or sliced dried fried sausages, as meat in the rucksack. In the minced meat I try to keep the fat down to avoid it going rancid. But with the sausages I don't bother.

The minced meat keep for several weeks (months?). I can fry and dry a few kg at the time, for several outings. The sausages I've never tried to keep for more than a week. I just fry and dry for each outing/weekend.

I then just cook the sausage slices/minced meat for some minutes with pasta or noodles or rice, and it's ready to eat. Spices and sauce. Usually in a food thermos...

When I was a boy, country folk women used to fry sausage in the morning for breakfast and whatever was left over was placed in a small crock or other container and the left over grease that they were cooked in was reheated and poured over the sausage. It was not put under refrigeration. Just left sitting on the kitchen cabinet. When it was wanted, the sausage was dug out of the grease and reheated in the skillet.

There would be no reason, a person couldn't cook something like sausage up in advance. Sure would speed up a meal on the trail.

That's roughly what I meant, but with more nostalgia :)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Just curious, do U.K. grocery stores sell ramen noodles? You can buy them anywhere here and they are very light, dont take up much room and to my way of thinking are tolerable fair lunch.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
for sausage cooking you need oil, sausage. and a fork to ***** them with. Now then drisel some oil over a warm (not hot please note) pan and put on the heat and wack your pricked sausages in and turn every few miniutes till brown and remember go slow with the heat.
or thats what i was taught but i maybe wrong
drew

ps and remember use deceant sausages not pooy bangers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE