stupid question of the day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been told that most animals, like us humans, use the path of least resistance so if there's a path they can take they'll use it regardless of who made it originally

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Can't answer that but it would make sense for animals to use ready made trails rather than forcing their own.

From observation, muntjac or roe don't seem to bother with trails. It might depend on how thick the vegetation is in their particular habitat.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Trails don't tend to have one particular species using them, many will.
Offshoots (runs) from the main trail will be more specific to one type of animal.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
If you've ever wandered about in woodland after a snowfall you will see that the trails look like a grid system. I've found that some tracks are major ones used by all sorts and others seem to be specific....Badgers for example.

I agree that most will take the line of least resistance, hence the busy tracks. I have an example at our Hoot site where, some years ago, I cut a path to the lower site and this is now heavily used by the deer population when not used by 'crafter folk.

I've also noticed that if one drives in a field to check the water troughs even quite a time before the sheep arrive, they will follow one set of wheel marks without deviation. I have confirmed this by driving all wriggly and watched the trail to that trough a week later! :D

Swyn.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
In terms of energy, an easy route costs less to negotiate than a difficult route.

Energy comes from food.

Food is a scarce resource.

Animals aren't stupid.

JeroenK

Apr 25, 2009
Deventer, NL
www.peatfreak.com
They will share trails.

Funny I know a track in use by badgers, foxes and roadeer. At one point a tree has fallen over the track. Badgers and foxes can still walk under it, but the roadeer not, so just before the tree the roadeer have their own track around the tree, which connects back to the main trail after the tree.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
As fairly well confirmed above animals will share trails.
Checking after snow or even hard frost can give you an insite, if there is not naturally sand i the area how about sand or just check any muddy patches - clear prints can often last for a long time in these. Or if the surface is fairly loose - lightly rough up an area and smooth it. Likely some critters will be curiouse to the change and have a sniff and walk over it then you come along and ID them from the prints! (mud and snow by far the easiest to id secies though).

Have fun.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
You can get some idea of who made the path though. Badgers seem to be like miniature bulldozers so their paths tend to be wide and scraped clean, and they're happy to go straight up and down hills. Fox paths can be narrow and meandery, their long legs don't tend to disturb the grass so much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE