Stupid mistake,but at least my sharpening skills are better!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Having just got back from A&E thought id give a brief layout of what happened,My middle daughter has been off school due to a nasty throat infection, id been spending time looking on here when i came across a post with a link showing a person slicing ultra thin slithers off a fruit of some kind with a real sharp knife,to cut a long story short, my daughter fancied pizza for lunch,we had some bases in the house but when i was cutting the tom's cheese,etc i noticed the knife i was using was rather blunt,finished the lunch and then decided to sharpen the knife,spent about 20 mins on it then thought id test it, got some veg that was getting a bit past it out of the cooler box and proceeded to slice and chop it in ever thin slices,my daughter came in to kitchen and asked for a drink,took my eyes off what i was doing-split second but long enough. Basically took a deep slice from knuckle on my hand of the right index finger to the middle joint of the finger,off to a&e were its been butterfly stitched wrapped and dressed so as to hold it straight,got to have dressing checked at my docs on Tuesday coming and basically leave it for a week(apparently they dont use stitches on fingers anymore unless they have to?)

Id show pics but cant download anymore,damn stupid mistake,should have a nice scar though! and at least my sharpening is getting better.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Simple mistake to make, being distracted is easily done. Hope the finger heals ok,could take a while due to the bending of the finger even if you dont mean to.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
ouch! must have given your daughter quite a shock there too

i always think fingers are the worst to cut as it makes working with your hands so much harder and i hate getting blood on leather and having to start again :lmao:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Its doing my head in already,im meant to be going to the gym tommorrow,looks like thats on hold(give it till this time next week) got some beers n fridge though,purely for pain relief.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Whoops! Easily done... I was cutting my hair last night and managed to nearly snip the skin right off my knuckle on my left index finger. I always do that at a certain stage where I'm doing the back. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So easily done :sigh: Hope it heals well and quickly :)

On the plus side, if you were cutting over ripe fruits really finely, thon knife was sharp :D

atb,
Toddy

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Not 5 mins ago i was looking at buying a straight razor. Thanks for the post it brought me to my senses. Off to get some nice safety ones, if there is such a thing!

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I was actualey surprised at how little it bled,as soon as id done it i grapped a towel wrapped it round it and squeezed it as hard as i could,releasing it every none and then till it got stitched,just ended up with about five golf ball sized blood patches on the towel were id released then re gripped.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I was actualey surprised at how little it bled,as soon as id done it i grabbed a towel wrapped it round it and squeezed it as hard as i could,releasing it every now and then till it got stitched,just ended up with about five golf ball sized blood patches on the towel were id released then re gripped.

edited for spelling errors

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE