Stupid idea or fun - survival weekend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I dont know how old you are but seem to remember that you mentioned something about being 17 and a half soon- really cant remember- anyway, I dont recall what significance your age had on the subject at the time either, the point is that its time you got into organised, formal training-assuming you have not already done so.

By this, I'm suggesting that if you are old enough, you should join the T.A. and get paid for learning numerous, highly valuable, outdoor skills.

I joined when I was 17 and a half and never looked back. As far as 20 milers go, we used to be dropped off at 1 or 2 am on a Saturday morning, and cover anything from 15 to 30 miles before pick up on Sunday around lunch time. All in wild country, all on one rat pack( with a spare for absolute emergencies only) you were given very basic kit and were allowed to supplement this with your own gear but obviously, you had to carry it!

I learned how to navigate ( really navigate, with a prismatic compass, not just read a map) at night and in severe weather conditions and after the first 3 or 4 weekends we were normally tabbing on our own-no phones, no radios, nothing.I also learned how to move, with minimum trace, across challenging terrain against the clock.

you appear to have some enthusiasm for the outdoors but I suspect you may not understand the value of discipline and training. Its all very well "playing at it" but you cant beat training with a purpose and an end result.This type of training will also get you fit enough to tackle the challenges you seem to want.Remember-any fool can be uncomfortable in the outdoors, learning from people who know and can actually show you,in the field, how to live reasonably comfortably is priceless.

If your too young then get into the cadets (army) This organisation is a much underrated set up which has set many a young un straight as well as given them a head start in life via discipline and responsibility.Have a go at this and then move on to the T.A.

anyway, you could just continue with trial and error-it's great fun!

Sincere regards
R.B.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
make a bed like a silverback, if you have water and heat its unlikely to end in calamity, the distance from habitation is not that great.
Theres plenty of food out there to be found, just enjoy the tranquility and relax with nature.
What you need the land will supply, eyes and ears peeled is the way.
Take a mobile is good advice, and about two thousand calories a day worth of food, just try to forget you have got it until you need it.

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Hi CommandoCal,

glad you had a good experience man.

I have done something like this before on my lonesome. A couple of absolutes are; Fire and Water.
You need to have some way of starting a fire, (lets you purify water, heats you up, improves morale, will also offset the need for a proper shelter if its not raining). Have at least three methods available to start a fire. Start with the most difficult, then if absolutely necessary go to the butane lighter.
Your going to need at least three litres of water a day, for all your needs. So you will need a tough durable way of carrying water. If there is no surface water, your looking at having to dig a well or whatever. Either way you will need to filter and purify your water.
A small 10cm billy can will be worth its weight in gold.

You need to keep the clothing next to your skin, dry. What you said about layering is really important, dont let yourself sweat or get wet from rain. Use wicking polyester next to the skin, followed up by wool or fleece fabrics. Don't use cotton !.

By all means have some high energy food with you, use a good Nuts,fuit,grains trail mix. With some glucose based energy food. That way you are maintaining a good mix of slow and fast release carbs.

There is absolutely no harm in going hungry for two or three days, just be sure to keep the brain supplied with an energy food. The last thing you want to happen is to let your senses go down.

As previous posters have advised, keep a mobile phone with you, fully charged but switched off. Also the ability to know when to call for help early. A first aid kit, and the ability to use it.

As always, tell someone you trust where your going, and when you plan to be back in contact. Give them a definite date and time for when they should call the emergency services. Too many people delay or hesitate in calling for help.

Give yourself the chance to learn by experiencing a little hardship, then next time you go out, you will be able to "Carry less by knowing more".

Have fun mate.

Frank

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
If you are healthy you can easily make it a couple of days with almost nothing, as long as you are properly clothed and sheltered. So why not do it?! It is excellent experience.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
At this point i'd like to say thanks to cammandocal for starting this thread, have cut my one night kit down to a bear minimum for the last few nights out and it's been a liberating experience, the lighter sac has meant i've enjoyed the walk to the woods as much as being there itself (well almost), hopefully i'll be into a shoulder bag by the end of the month and i must say i can't wait!
The hammocks stayed at home along with the tarp and thermarest, the first aid kit's been emptied of frippery, all those extra clothes for use in a emergency (spare fleece, 2 pairs of socks, spare lightweight trousers etc etc) have been left out as i'm never more than half a mile from a road. The hobo stoves getting the chop next time (a litre kelly kettle would be smaller) in favour of a aluminium windshield. It all count's :11doh:
SWMBO thinks it's a knee jerk reaction due to the massive amount of stuff i had with me in Norway, i'm inclined (grudgingly) to agree, but boy is it nice to be light for a while even if it means a slightly cooler night. Does mean i wake up at sunrise unlike in a hammock when i need to set an alarm :lmao:

H

He' s left the building

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE