stroppingleather

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Even here santaman, its a sad sign when the barber I used to go to with my dad, who was the first to sell me a "something for the weekend young sir" has now been knocked through and beome part of a salon. H e was. Proper barber too, his mate used to sit in the empty chair and chat to him while he cut your hair, or gave a shave. The last time I went for a hair cut it cost me £11 :eek: that was for a short back and sides and a trim on top, so now its all done by me and a neck shave by Wifely. :D

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
wow, thanks guys!

@Gray Array: Thanks, I PMed back.
@Roger UK: Thanks for the offer! I`d gladly accept it, but it seems like a good idea to see if I can reach the shops Gray Array speaks of.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Turns out Gray Array knows about a leathershop in my hometown. Right under my nose and I`ve never heard about it, can you imagine that?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
First of all: I am not quite sure in what section to post this. If this is wrong, please move it around.

OK, for the question. I want to go about sharpening my spoonknives the way Ben Orford describes in this great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDjGbx7jIt0

My problem, though, is that I can`t seem to find a place here where I can find the thin soft leather he uses. Are there alternatives? Would the 'inside' of thick denim/jeans material work? Or does anybody happen to know where to look for leather in the west of Holland?

Thanks in advance.
None of the soft leather about that they make moccasins from? A nice piece of soft deer skin?
I strop on the back of my belt in the field as RM suggests.

Another vote for steels giving a serrated edge. The brother-in-laws an ex slaughter man and his steel sharpened knives will shave your arm but need steeling very, very often. They will cut to the bone without any weight put on them

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
531907_10150784636004073_1024546915_n.jpg

Have you had a manicure there Dave? :D

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I got some 4"x11" veg tan off of ebay for £4, I've fixed it on a chopping board from asda for £2, cut the board to shape and it'll be great for the bigger stuff doen at home. Leather is nice without compound, but also very good with it. But, like others have said you can easily add stropping paste to nearly any fabric/material.

anyone who likes a barf inducingly sharp edge will recommend a strop though, so so deffo get one (leatehr or not).

My neighbour got one of those nicwestermanns spoon blades the other week at a wood working fair and it's lovely! polished to a mirror shine and very nice. Still prefer my Ben Orford though ;) and his videos are excellent!

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
For my normal knives I have an old leather belt that I glued on a board. I load it with some metalpolish and it works a treat. It is just way to thick to glue around a stick to strop spoonknives with, and those could really do with some attention.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks! I appreciate it.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
for spoon knives i just strop the outside bevel on the leather rotating to cover the entire bevel, then just run a bit of 2500 grit paper round the inside, nice and light and kept flat so as to not form a bevel on the inside,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE