STROP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Y

yowee

Does anyone know what if anything needs to done to the Razor Strop Fungus (birch polypore) before it can be used as a strop? I recently found a tree with a good dozen on of varying sizes and thought that I would try it, any advice on preparation and technique would be usefull. Many thanks. :shock:

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Yowee,

I've done a couple of these now and they do work very nicely.
You only need to cut it to the desired shape.
The best bit to use is just under the upper surface of the fungus.
No other preparation or treatment is required but it works best when it's glued to a board.

And I know this is fairly obvious but use an extremely sharp knife as the meat of the fungus is quite dense.

Good luck,

Matt

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i don't know about razor strop funghi but i've used giant puffball as a strop and all you have to do to that is to cut it to size and shape and leave it to dry for a while, pretty idiot proof really, well it must be, i managed it!! don't know if that's of any use at all, probably not but there you go.

stuart

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Did you know that if every spore from a giant puffball germinated the resulting fungi would cover the entire surface of the earth?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE