Stretching leather boots with a spray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
Hi!
Got a slight problem with my new boots and thats an annoying pinch on the left foot, small toe region.
I have considered buying some stretcher spray to try and see if it will sort the problem, but before I do, I wanted to check if it will work on shoes with a membrane lining? Im aware that these sprays need to be applied inside the shoe itself, so im not quite sure if the waterproof membrane will dampen the effectiveness of the spray.
thanks in advance
:)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
... I wanted to check if it will work on shoes with a membrane lining? Im aware that these sprays need to be applied inside the shoe itself, so im not quite sure if the waterproof membrane will dampen the effectiveness of the spray.
I think the spray will dampen (pun intended :)) the effectiveness of the waterproof membrane if it's in any way solvent / petrol based!

I remember when I bought a pair of Brasher goretex lined boots the care instructions specifically warned against using dubbin or any other petro-chemical based treatment

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Not experienced with gortex boots that don't fit, but leather boots can be stretched, altberg for example, have a "bunion buster", at their factory, which will help fit a boot to a foot deformity. Shoe repairers/cobblers may be able to offer a similar service.

Rob

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
cool, thanks for the advice fellas!
Ill keep off the 'stretch spray' and head down to my local cobblers instead.
;)

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
By coincidence I had a pair of Gore-Tex lined leather boots stretched last week.
These were a pair of vintage Danner hunting boots in very heavy-duty leather - bull-hide perhaps. They were a little narrow in the toe area and almost a half size short (yes, eBay!). I took them to a cobblers to ask what he could do. He showed me an old stretching machine that they use in conjunction with the spray you mention. They spray only the outside of the boot and can stretch about a half size lengthwise and up to a full size in width. Additionally he cranked out a little more depth at the toe.
For £12 I now have an ace fitting pair of Danners.
Good luck

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would go with the traditional method...
Get the leather of your boots soaking wet in warm water, put on twice the normal amount of socks you would wear with the boots and go for a long, wet walk - up and down streams if you have no local long wet grass - or spend hours plodging up and down in the bath if you are city based! :)
This will gently stretch the leather to fit your foot, costs nothing, should not damage the membrane, proves if the membrane works and is only slightly painful from initial cramping of your feet in boots that are too small (thanks to the extra socks). if there is a particular tight spot - like your toe - wet this area and push/rub at it with the round side of a teaspoon...do not scrape as this might damage the lining.
Afterwards let the boots dry naturally (out on the window ledge if your central heating makes your house Saharan) and proof with your normal product.

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
thanks a bunch for this info!
turns out that the cobblers machine wouldnt fit in the boot, so looks like ill be stretching the ol'fashioned way
;)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
If you have boots with lacing down to the toes, this is one thing you can do, too. Leave the lower hooks untied and you gain some precious millimeters.
Do this after having followed John T`s tip.
17092010.jpg

Works great with arthritic joints!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Sorry to hijack thread. Im in a opposite situation. My boots are too big for me. Goretex lined leather boots (berghaus). Anyway to shrink them?

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Definitely not.
You can use thicker insoles or a heavier sock and thus gain a bit less than half a size, but more is not possible.
Please note what I insist my customers to try to "feel" with their feet in the boots when trying for a new pair:
-around the instep, the foot will be hold by the boot
-the heel will have a slight amount of play, say less than 3mm,
-the toes should be able to wriggle, in fact the whole forefoot should never feel squeezed,
-when standing on a ramp, toes facing downhill, the foot will slide up to 5mm to the front till the lacing will hold it. This is normal
and under no circumstances should the toes touch the foremost part of the toebox,
-the feet will always get bigger, be it through the day, or in the course of the years, or because of outside temperatures,
-you can (within limits) fine-adjust everything but the lenght .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE